DEDICATED TO THE TWIN TOWERS DISASTER

BY CATERINA DAVINIO

GIUBBE ROSSE - FLORENCE - ITALY
FEBRUARY 4TH 2002   6:00 PM

See the action at the artist's studio

See the action at the Giubbe Rosse

The net-performance "Paint From Nature", by Caterina Davinio, took
place February 4th 2002 at the Giubbe Rosse, historical literary café of the
avant-garde, in Florence, Italy, in co-operation with
Massimo Mori, Elisabeth H. Todal, Tiziano Pecchioli, Fiorenzo Smalzi, during
the opening of the visual poetry exhibition "Tribute to Marinetti".

"Paint From Nature" - the nature as media landscape and telematic passage, communication movement, is inspired to the disaster o the New York towers, event which has had a great impact on the collective imaginary in the planet also for the mass-media dimension, which accompanied it.

September 11 and 12 arrived at Karenina.it e-mail address (clprezi@tin.it) fast three hundred messages, from all over the world, from mailing lists (mainly from Rhizome), from artists, cultural associations, citizens, navigators, who spook about what had happened; from the e-mails arrived at first, fill of dismay for the sudden interruption of communication with artistic situations and persons who were in New York in those hours, to the messages which tried to find information, to bring help, to intervention which tried a political interpretation of what was happening.

In the copy "from nature" there is the text of 70 e-mails arrived in Karenina.it e-mail box September 11 and 12. The action is going to be documented in a book.

The unanimous, choral sound of the voices in the copy from "nature", from the telematic truth, which consummates its existence in the continuous passage from real to virtual and back, comes from an every-place, or a no-place, from that texture of contacts, which is also a "thing", space where enter, wander, look for, reality, which in the performance "Paint from nature" was copied down, or, with a metaphor, photographed, after it was framed in the monitor, together with some questions about what a net-performance "really" is, what a "copy from nature" and the "nature" self, for an artist, is in the net, in the media universe, how Internet brings in discussion the role of the artist, his identity and these concepts (identity, reality, copy, nature, original, presence, performance role space-time) result disintegrated but also reconstructed.

The work "Paint From Nature", made of interaction, action, e-mail art, creation of an object, copy realized with technologic instruments which are in hands of an artist today (digital, identical with the represented original, but that finally  concretises itself in an unique not-reproducible experience at the Giubbe Rosse space, this work, made of communic/action, and generating itself while the communication runs, do not falls under the categories that the art and the art critic put at disposal.

I work since 1995 around the theme of the identity, of the absence of the performer, his hiding, playing and equivocating with the identity, the thing is poetic in itself. As poetic is the fact that a poet can communicate further on his presence, gives some "machines", machinery of poetry which everyone let functionate, adapt to his space.time.

The same concept was explored by me in a mail.net.performance in June 2001 "Prisoner of Reality" (the virtual one? the real one? which difference?), but also many years ago, when, in Rome, at Lavatoio Contumaciale Cultural Center, I left empty the stage, abandoned it to my recorded voice, remaining hidden (certainly some maniacally) in the public, watching the curiosity growing and materializing around my absence.

A poetry-machine can be now constructed using new technologies on which words, images and things agglomerate, but a poetry-machine are the words games by Marcel Duchamp, and is the Iliad.

We, virtual poets, is known, dislocate ourselves, body and mind, in the net, but, is known, a poet since always dislocates himself in the time.

Sincerely and futuristically yours from No-Place-Where

Caterina Davinio

Giubbe Rosse, 4 febbraio 2002 (maybe)
Opening of the visual poetry exhibition "Tribute to Marinetti"

KARENINA.IT (poetry in "fàtica" function) A web project by Caterina Davinio
davinio@tin.it on line since 1998  -  By Jakobson, 'fàtico' is the use of
the language which has the finality to maintain open and operative the
communication channel among the interlocutors. On the confine between art
and critic, happening and net performance, Karenina.it is a virtual meeting
place around the theme of the writing and the new technologies, in which
experiences of international artists, curators, theoreticians converge, in a
net that counts thousands of contacts in the world.

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Lights/7323/kareninarivista.html