The Rhizome Digest merged into the Rhizome News in November 2008. These pages serve as an archive for 6-years worth of discussions and happenings from when the Digest was simply a plain-text, weekly email.

Subject: RHIZOME DIGEST: 10.21.05
From: digest@rhizome.org (RHIZOME)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:28:02 -0700
Sender: owner-digest@rhizome.org

RHIZOME DIGEST: October 21, 2005

Content:

+note+
1. Lauren Cornell: Open Call deadline approaching

+opportunity+
2. gail rubini: New Media/New Work Exhibition at Art Interactive in Boston
3. Ceci: CFP: Journal of E-Media Studies

+announcement+
4. 220hex: Piksel05 :: 'collective code' - artistic program
5. doron golan: new work at computer fine arts
6. Wayne Ashley: Breaking the Game--Immersive
Technologies--Workshops--Symposium
7. Gregory Scranton: ARTISTIC APPROPRIATION IN THE AGE OF LITIGATION
8. Thomas Beard: Open Zone CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome is now offering Organizational Subscriptions, group memberships
that can be purchased at the institutional level. These subscriptions
allow participants at institutions to access Rhizome's services without
having to purchase individual memberships. For a discounted rate, students
or faculty at universities or visitors to art centers can have access to
Rhizome?s archives of art and text as well as guides and educational tools
to make navigation of this content easy. Rhizome is also offering
subsidized Organizational Subscriptions to qualifying institutions in poor
or excluded communities. Please visit http://rhizome.org/info/org.php for
more information or contact Lauren Cornell at LaurenCornell AT Rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1.

From: Lauren Cornell <laurencornell AT rhizome.org>
Date: Oct 20, 2005 12:38 PM
Subject: Open Call deadline approaching

Hello,

A reminder to those who are considering submitting works to Open Call: the
deadline is coming up soon - October 31st! Open Call is the exhibition
that Rhizome is organizing in collaboration with free103point9 - more
information on it can be found here:
http://www.free103point9.org/opencall.php

If you have any questions about it - please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
Lauren

Executive Director,
Rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2.

From: gail rubini <grubini AT mailer.fsu.edu>
Date: Oct 15, 2005 11:18 PM
Subject: New Media/New Work Exhibition at Art Interactive in Boston

New Media/New Work
NewMediaCaucus+ArtInteractive/CAA06:
BOSTON/CAA CONFERENCE/ at ART INTERACTIVE GALLERY
http://www.newmediacaucus.org/
http://www.artinteractive.org/

*CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: JANUARY 1 DEADLINE

Be a part of something big and collective: The New Media Caucus is calling
for video work to be included in an exhibition at the Art Interactive
gallery during the CAA annual conference in Boston. You do not have to be
a Caucus member to submit work. The call is open to all.

This exhibition New Media/New Work represents a consortium of new Media
organizations working together. The exhibition will consist of four
separate screening areas within the gallery space: two screens are
designated for New Media Caucus, one of which will be theme-based, the
third section will be curated by Art Technology Boston, and the fourth
will be curated by LEO-CAA, an affiliate of Leonardo.

Hosting the event is Art Interactive, a non-profit experimental art space
in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Situated in the heart of Central Square, Art
Interactive's 2,500 square foot, one-of-a-kind space provides artists a
supportive venue for showing cutting-edge work. Art Interactive offers the
community in the Greater Boston Area unparalleled opportunities for
experiencing innovative art forms.

New Media Caucus members, Lisa Dorin, Assistant Curator at the Williams
College Museum of Art and Gail Rubini, Associate Professor of Design at
Florida State University will be curating the New Media Caucus work. There
will be a separate call for Lisa Dorin?s theme-based screen. Format and
instructions for submissions follow.

The exhibition will be on view throughout the entire conference period,
February
22-25. The opening reception will take place on Thursday February 23 from 6-9
NewMediaCaucus+ArtInteractive/CAA06

Contact:
Lisa Dorin, Williams College Museum of Art
LisaB.Dorin AT williams.edu
or Gail Rubini, Florida State University
grubini AT mailer.fsu.edu

*CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: JANUARY 1 DEADLINE

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome ArtBase Exhibitions

http://rhizome.org/art/exhibition/

Visit the fourth ArtBase Exhibition "City/Observer," curated by Yukie
Kamiya of the New Museum of Contemporary Art in New York and designed by
T.Whid of MTAA.

http://rhizome.org/art/exhibition/city/

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

3.

From: Ceci <ceci AT rhizome.org>
Date: Oct 19, 2005 5:47 AM
Subject: CFP: Journal of E-Media Studies

The Journal of e-Media Studies announces that we are accepting submissions
for publication.

The deadline for our inaugural issue is November 15, 2005. Special topic
sections of the journal, to include more than one related essay, may be
proposed. We intend our inaugural issue to premiere in Spring, 2006.

We are committed to the rapid turnaround of subsequent journal submissions
in as practical a means as possible.

Manuscripts can be e-mailed to the editors at e-Media AT Dartmouth.edu, or a
CD/DVD version may be mailed to:

Journal of e-Media Studies
Dept. of Film and Television Studies
6194 Wilson Hall
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03755
USA

JOE-MS is a blind peer-reviewed, on-line journal dedicated to the
scholarly study of the history and theory of electronic media, especially
Television and New Media. It is an inter-disciplinary journal, and we
welcome submissions across the fields and methodologies that study media
and media history.

Our goal is to promote the academic study of electronic media, especially
in light of the rise of digital media and the changes in formal and
expressive capacities resulting from new configurations of electronic
media forms. We solicit the best new scholarly work on current and
historical e-media issues and topics, including work on inter-medial
relations to traditionally non-electronic media (such as cinema, theater,
and print media).

We welcome essays in traditional textual formats. We strongly encourage
submissions that utilize and develop the features that an on-line journal
can afford, in order to realize new analytical and pedagogical practices
and strategies.

Please see our website [http://journals.dartmouth.edu/joems/] for more
details about our Submissions Guidelines, list of Editorial Board members,
and Mission Statement.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org 2005-2006 Net Art Commissions

The Rhizome Commissioning Program makes financial support available to
artists for the creation of innovative new media art work via
panel-awarded commissions.

For the 2005-2006 Rhizome Commissions, eleven artists/groups were selected
to create original works of net art.

http://rhizome.org/commissions/

The Rhizome Commissions Program is made possible by support from the
Jerome Foundation in celebration of the Jerome Hill Centennial, the
Greenwall Foundation, the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and
the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support has
been provided by members of the Rhizome community.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

4.

From: 220hex <gif AT 220hex.org>
Date: Oct 17, 2005 6:44 AM
Subject: Piksel05 :: 'collective code' - artistic program

-- Piksel05 - 'collective code'
-- october 16-23. 2005
-- artistic program online

Piksel05 - festival for free / libre and open source audiovisual software
and art kicks off this weekend in Bergen, Norway.

The Piksel05 artistic program is curated by Isabelle Arvers and Gisle
Frøysland as a collaboration with pixelACHE 2006[1] in Helsinki and Mal au
Pixel 2006 in Paris. Some of the projects will be selected to be shown in
Helsinki and/or Paris.

The program is now online at: www.piksel.no/piksel05

-----

Piksel[2] is an annual event for artists and developers working with
free/libre and open source audiovisual software. Part workshop, part
festival, it is organised in Bergen, Norway, by the Bergen Centre for
Electronic Arts (BEK)[3] and involves participants from more than a dozen
countries exchanging ideas, coding, presenting art and software projects,
doing workshops, performances and discussions on the aesthetics and
politics of open source.

The development, and therefore use, of digital technology today is mainly
controlled by multinational corporations. Despite the prospects of
technology expanding the means of artistic expression, the commercial
demands of the software industries severely limit them instead. Piksel is
focusing on the open source movement as a strategy for regaining artistic
control of the technology, but also a means to bring attention to the
close connections between art, politics, technology and economy

----

[1] http://www.pixelache.ac
[2] http://www.piksel.no
[3] http://www.bek.no

-----
--
+---gif AT bek.no +47329234+4790665018c.sundtsgt.55,5004bg.
www.xn--frysland-64a.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Support Rhizome: buy a hosting plan from BroadSpire

http://rhizome.org/hosting/

Reliable, robust hosting plans from $65 per year.

Purchasing hosting from BroadSpire contributes directly to Rhizome's
fiscal well-being, so think about about the new Bundle pack, or any other
plan, today!

About BroadSpire

BroadSpire is a mid-size commercial web hosting provider. After conducting
a thorough review of the web hosting industry, we selected BroadSpire as
our partner because they offer the right combination of affordable plans
(prices start at $14.95 per month), dependable customer support, and a
full range of services. We have been working with BroadSpire since June
2002, and have been very impressed with the quality of their service.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

5.

From: doron golan <v AT computerfinearts.com>
Date: Oct 19, 2005 5:58 AM
Subject: new work at computer fine arts

New projects has been added to the computer fine arts collection. Works
from-Abrahams, Andrews, Breeze, Bunting, Lattanzi, Lichty, Macdonald,
Packer, RSG, Szpakowski, Thompson & Craighead, Van Anden, Walczak, Zellen

http://www.computerfinearts.com/collection/?M=D

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

6.

From: Wayne Ashley <washley007 AT yahoo.com>
Date: Oct 19, 2005 1:42 PM
Subject: Breaking the Game--Immersive Technologies--Workshops--Symposium

Please forgive me if I've already sent this to you.

BREAKING THE GAME

WORKSPACE UNLIMITED, in collaboration with New York curator Wayne Ashley,
are currently organizing Breaking the Game, a series of interdisciplinary
workshops and online symposium that bring together competing theorists and
practitioners to build, debate and reflect on virtual worlds, computer
gaming, immersive technologies, and new possibilities for artistic
practice and experience. Taking place both online and offline, the
workshops will open up the art of game modification to the contingencies
of everyday life, where virtual technologies increasingly mediate physical
spaces and human movements in very complex and dynamic ways. Networked
across multiple cities, the symposium will be organized around three core
themes: "Hybridity", "Overclocking the city" and "The virtual world as
interface to self and society."

Where: Ghent, New York, Rotterdam, and the Internet
When: October, November & February 2005 - 2006

For more details and to register for Breaking the Game
workshop please visit:
http://www.workspace-unlimited.org/breakingthegame

or visit our website at:
http://www.workspace-unlimited.org

Breaking the Game is supported by: Vlaams Audiovisueel
Fonds, Vlaamse Gemeenschap, V2_Organization, Vooruit
Kunstencentrum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kind regards from the Workspace Unlimited team. To stop receiving our
newsletter: reply with your email address + name and mention "remove" in
the subject.

_______________________________
Wayne Ashley
Independent Curator
Media Arts, Technology, Performance

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

7.

From: Gregory Scranton <miniapple20 AT yahoo.com>
Date: Oct 19, 2005 4:11 PM
Subject: ARTISTIC APPROPRIATION IN THE AGE OF LITIGATION

For Immediate Release For Further
Information Contact:
September 1, 2005 Berman Museum of
Art 610-409-3500,
or College Communications, 610-409-3300

ARTISTIC APPROPRIATION IN THE AGE OF LITIGATION
IS TOPIC FOR A DAY OF ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS AND WORKSHOPS

COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. ? ?Begging, Borrowing and. . . . Stealing? - Artistic
Appropriation in the Age of Litigation? is the topic of a day of
roundtable discussions and workshops to be held Nov. 8 on the Ursinus
College campus. Renowned experts in the areas of copyright and
intellectual property law; visual artists and writers; curators; and
librarians will serve as panelists for this newsworthy topic. The
conference will be held in Olin Auditorium on the Ursinus campus, and will
run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Siva Vaidhyanathan, author of Copyrights and
Copywrongs: The Rise of Intellectual Property and How It Threatens
Creativity (2001), National Public Radio commentator, and Director of
Communication Studies at New York University, will open the day?s program
with a keynote address. A cultural historian and media scholar, he has
also written for American Scholar, The Chronicle of Higher Education, The
New York Times Magazine, and other publications. The Chronicle of Higher
Education called him ?one of the best-known scholars of intellectual
property and its role in contemporary culture.? His new book, The
Anarchist in the Library was released in May.
In an age given over increasingly to litigation, the conventions of
artistic appropriation are adopted with ever more risk by
practicing artists, despite the fact that these conventions are
time-honored within the histories of art, literature, music, and
film, among others. This day-long conference will explore the
complexities, ambiguities, ambivalences, and outright disagreements
that occur where art-making, law-making, and the determination of
what constitutes fair use and free expression meet in the world of
artistic and creative ?borrowing.? Pre-registration is required,
for which a nominal fee will be charged. For more information,
contact Susan Shifrin, Associate Director of Education at the
Berman Museum of Art, (610) 409-3500.
This program is supported in part through the Ursinus College Arts
& Lectures program. Exhibitions and programs at the Philip and
Muriel Berman Museum of Art are also funded in part by the
Pennsylvania Council on the Arts.
Ursinus College, founded in 1869, is a highly selective, nationally
ranked, independent, coeducational liberal arts college, located on
a scenic, wooded, 168-acre campus, 28 miles from Center City
Philadelphia. Known for quality programs in the arts and sciences,
it is one of only 8 percent of U.S. colleges to possess a chapter
of Phi Beta Kappa.

PANELISTS

Nathalie Anderson, poet, Swarthmore College

Robert Clarida, partner, Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman, New York

Theodore Harris, muralist and collagist

Marjorie Heins, attorney and Coordinator, Free Expression Policy Project,
William J. Brennan Center for Justice

Carrie McLaren, Organizer, "Illegal Art," Editor, StayFree Magazine

Kathy Schulz, Assoc. General Counsel, New York University

Greg Scranton, digital media artist, Ursinus College

Peggy Seiden, Director of Libraries, Swarthmore College

Siva Vaidhyanathan, Director, Communication Studies program, New York
University

Evan Baird Towle, Visual and Digital Resources Librarian, Philadelphia
Museum of Art Library, Slide Library & Archives

Name________________________________________________________

Title_________________________________________________________

Student? Y ? N ?

K-12 ?

Undergraduate: Ursinus ? Non-Ursinus) ?

Graduate Student ?

Institutional Affiliation___________________________________________

Preferred Mailing Address:

Street________________________________________________Apt______

City_______________________________State______Zip______________

Preferred Daytime Phone Number__________________________________

Preferred Email Address_________________________________________

How did you learn about the conference?

Boxed Lunch Preference:
(check only one please)

Chicken Sandwich ?

Turkey Sandwich ?

Tuna Sandwich ?

Grilled Veggies Sandwich ?

Registration Fees (payment must be received before registration is
finalized and lunch is ordered -- deadline for receipt of payment is
October 30):

Student: $5
Professional/Non-Student: $10

This event is free to all Ursinus College Students, Faculty, and Staff.
You will not need to pre-register, however, please be prepared to show a
valid Ursinus College ID.

Please make checks payable to Berman Museum of Art
Mail to:
Berman Museum of Art
601 E. Main St. Collegeville, PA l9426
Attention: Sue Calvin

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

8.

From: Thomas Beard <thomas AT ocularis.net>
Date: Oct 21, 2005 8:03 AM
Subject: Open Zone CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

Open Zone at Ocularis
70 North 6th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
www.ocularis.net

Open Zone is a quarterly open screen night for new works by NYC-based
artists. Including documentary, experimental and narrative film, video and
new media, Open Zone provides a unique opportunity to view and discuss
emerging work of all kinds. Submissions are received prior to the
screening, and the organized program is circulated to filmmakers two weeks
before the show, which will be held on Wednesday, December 14.

Work must be under 10 minutes in length and produced in the last 12
months. Acceptable formats include: DVD, VHS, Mini DV, 16mm, S8 film.

To be considered for the next Open Zone, please send a preview copy of
your work, along with a $10 submissions fee, to

Ocularis
at Galapagos Art Space
Attn: Open Zone
70 North 6th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211

Postmark Deadline: Wednesday, November 16.

Inclusion in the program is held on a first-come, first-serve basis. All
filmmakers with work in the screening receive free admission for
themselves and one guest.

Please contact Thomas Beard (thomas AT ocularis.net) with any questions.

Ocularis is a weekly cinema run out of Galapagos Art Space dedicated to
the exhibition of independent, experimental and documentary film/video and
new media, as well as international and repertory cinema. For our current
schedule and more information on Ocularis, please visit
http://www.ocularis.net
--

Thomas Beard
Program Director

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an affiliate of
the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Rhizome Digest is supported by grants from The Charles Engelhard
Foundation,  The Rockefeller Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for
the Visual Arts, and with public funds from the New York State Council on
the Arts, a state agency.

Rhizome Digest is filtered by Marisa Olson (marisa AT rhizome.org). ISSN:
1525-9110. Volume 10, number 42. Article submissions to list AT rhizome.org
are encouraged. Submissions should relate to the theme of new media art
and be less than 1500 words. For information on advertising in Rhizome
Digest, please contact info AT rhizome.org.

Subscribers to Rhizome Digest are subject to the terms set out in the
Member Agreement available online at http://rhizome.org/info/29.php.