The Rhizome Digest merged into the Rhizome News in November 2008. These pages serve as an archive for 6-years worth of discussions and happenings from when the Digest was simply a plain-text, weekly email.

Subject: RHIZOME DIGEST: 12.06.06
From: digest@rhizome.org (RHIZOME)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:11:09 -0800
Sender: owner-digest@rhizome.org

RHIZOME DIGEST: December 06, 2006

Content:

+note+
1. Patrick May: Director of Technology's Report, November 2006
2. Lauren Cornell: Ana Otero at Rhizome

+opportunity+
3. Kevin Hamilton: Research Assistant Positions / MFA Program - UIUC

+announcement+
4. Robert-Jan Verhagen: Joshua Davis Exhibitions and Masterclass
5. Jerry King Musser: The Spoken Days Project
6. crd AT fondation-langlois.org: News from the Daniel Langlois Foundation
7. thinkis AT gmail.com: La Superette Saturday and LoVid performance
8. TELIC Arts Exchange: GAMES FOR 5 JOYSTICKS
9. domenico quaranta: Second Life / Real Life AT Peam 2K6 - The Diamond
10. Jane Marsching: Climate Commons
11. dprojx: Wonder Show at Artists\' Television Access

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

One Month Left in Rhizome's Community Campaign! Give today!

We have under four weeks left in the Campaign, and more to raise of our $25,000 goal. We hope you'll consider contributing *today* by
renewing, joining or making a donation so that it can be counted towards our Campaign goal -- an amount that is absolutely essential to our survival and growth this year! Rhizome needs you now just as much now as we ever have before. We hope you'll take a moment to support us today.

http://www.rhizome.org/support

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1.

From: Patrick May <patrick AT rhizome.org>
Date: Nov 30, 2006
Subject: Director of Technology's Report, November 2006

Hello,

It's been a busy summer and fall at Rhizome, working on the 10th Anniversary festival, GROK, and the Community Campaign. In addition I finished important work on the Artbase and added new member features.

Internally, I've re-written the Artbase admin tools. I added some much needed search tools and fixed bugs in the approval process. The acceptance of new artworks in the Artbase will improve.

Also, in the Preferences and Tools section there is a new "Artbase" link. This page shows the status of all your Artbase submissions and links to the appropriate edit pages.

We created a New Media Resources section. There Rhizome members can access directories of New Media Programs and Residencies.

I'd like give a heads up about upcoming new developments at Rhizome:

+ Metadata
+ Publishing Tools and the Digest
+ Open Source

-- Metadata

First off, implementation of the Metadata project is under way. Expect to start seeing tagging and folksonomy at Rhizome this winter! I am excited about this project, as it should improve the accessibility of many areas of Rhizome.

-- Publishing Tools and the Digest

We recently partnered with a commercial firm to develop publishing tools. This was a rare chance to make a long overdue investment in the basic tools used to manage the Rhizome website. The firm paid the cost of developing these new tools, and we agreed to hold back on open sourcing the code for 3 years.

Our first use of these tools will upgrade the Rhizome Digest. I will create an archive of the Digest, and will also convert the email to an HTML format.

-- Open Source

Recently Steve Or Steven offered to help with Rhizome development. To facilitate this collaboration, I've setup Rhizome at sourceforge.net. Let me know if you are interested in helping out.

Steve and I are working on a comments system for Rhizome. Another project under development is a general upgrade to Rhizome's email systems. As these projects are completed, I'll release the files in the normal open source fashion.

We will enhance the options for licensing artworks in the Artbase. Currently users have no choice and must agree to the Rhizome license. We plan to add options for Creative Commons licenses. Let us know if there are other applicable options that should be available.

Thank you for your support!

Cheers,

Patrick

--
Patrick May
Director of Technology

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2.

From: Lauren Cornell <laurencornell AT rhizome.org>
Date: Dec 6, 2006
Subject: Ana Otero at Rhizome

Hi all:

I'm pleased to announce that Ana Otero has joined Rhizome as Curatorial Intern -- her bio is below. Ana's background demonstrates an incredible committment to new media with a focus on education and exhibition. She also has experience in creating and sustaining community around digital art, through her founding of Jesus13 in Barcelona, and later, no_a, a more multidisciplinary group, cutting across new media, architecture and anthropology.

With Rhizome, Ana will be working on curatorial projects, the rhizome website and will be the point person for our new education program, GROK, so please forward any distribution related inquiries to her: ana.otero AT rhizome.org

She will be with us through spring 07.

Best, Lauren

----------------------

Ana Otero is a Spanish graduate student of the Museum Studies Program at the New York University (NYU). She has a B.A. in Audiovisual Communication by the Universistat Autnoma of Barcelona (UAB) and a Postgraduate Degree in Curatorial and Cultural Practices in Art and New Media by MECAD/ESDi. Between 1998 and 2005 she was multimedia art director in the audiovisual company based in Barcelona Media Park (now Teuve). She also was involved in educational projects related to new media developing the program and the academic coordination of the course "New Digital Media: Management, Design and Development of Interactive Projects" certificated by the Universitat Politcnica de Catalunya (UPC) and offered by the center 9zeros. Simultaneously to her professional career, she co-founded the artistic collective Jesus13 focus on the experimentation of art and new technologies whose works were exhibited in several collective exhibitions in Spain between 1998 and 2000. Later on, Ana co-founded no_a, a more multidisciplinary group who curated Eme3 Density at the Center of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona (CCCB) in 2001 and designed the set up and projections for Divinas Palabras collection at the Circuit V. Since she moved to NYC last year, and before getting involved with Rhizome, she was in the New Media Educational Department at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Organizational memberships with Rhizome

Sign your library, university or organization up for a Rhizome organizational membership! Give your community access to the largest online archives of digital art and new media art-related writing, the opportunity to organize member-curated exhibitions, participate in critical discussion, community boards, and learn about residency, educational and professional possibilities. Rhizome also offers subsidized memberships for qualifying institutions with limited access to the Internet. Please visit http://rhizome.org/info/org.php for more information or contact Ceci Moss at ceci AT rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

3.

From: Kevin Hamilton <kham AT uiuc.edu>
Date: Dec 6, 2006
Subject: Research Assistant Positions / MFA Program - UIUC

*RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIPS AVAILABLE*
starting Fall Semester 2007

Departments of Computer Science, Art/Design

Research Assistants sought for new interdisciplinary research project at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Earn an MFA in Studio Art with a New Media emphasis while contributing to a new NSF-funded research effort.

In addition to producing their own work, accepted applicants will contribute to the Science of Design project, based in the Department of Computer Science and led by Assistant Professors Brian Bailey (Computer Science) and Kevin Hamilton (Studio Art). This project seeks to develop new tools for use in the early stages of design for interactive media, with a special emphasis on collaborative work.

Students with backgrounds and undergraduate degrees in art or design are invited to apply. Experience with interactive forms or media is desired. Applicants should be interested in working alongside researchers and other students from Computer Science / HCI, and in contributing to projects for both art and science outlets and discourses.

Students will receive a stipend, tuition waiver, office space and a computer for use during their time as a student. Work will involve research, construction and administration of user-tests, collaborative design work, archiving and writing for papers and grants, among other possible tasks.

If interested, contact Kevin Hamilton (kham AT uiuc.edu) for more information about this opportunity. For more on the MFA Studio Art Program at UIUC, please see information below.

RELATED TO THIS PROJECT
http://orchid.cs.uiuc.edu/
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/news/articles.php?id=2006Jun26-189
http://www.art.uiuc.edu/projects/mobilemapping
http://www.art.uiuc.edu/projects/memory

-----------

*ABOUT THE MFA PROGRAM at UIUC*

Students admitted to concentrations in Painting, Sculpture, and New Media share a common curriculum consisting of weekly individual critiques, quarterly group critiques, and themed seminars and electives in theory and practice from around the University. Coincident (and occasionally overlapping) areas of graduate study include Photography, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Art History, Art Education and Jewelry/Metals. Regular critiques by faculty are complemented by bi-annual guest critics, an official visiting artist series, guest curators and artists at the Krannert Art Museum, and artists invited by the MFA students through the Art Graduate Student Organization.

The program emphasizes development of individual or collaborative practice in preparation for careers in a wide variety of cultural contexts, including gallery practice, university research/education, public or community-based work, curation, performance or activism. As a tier-one research university, UIUC offers a climate of rigorous production and inquiry by nationally and internationally recognized faculty and students. Frequent research and education partners for the School of Art and Design include Landscape Architecture, Computer Science, English/Creative Writing, Theater, Music, the Krannert Art Museum and the Institute for Communication Research. MFA students may take classes in any campus unit.

Applicants are invited from a variety of backgrounds, preferably but not exclusively with B.A. or B.F.A. degrees in the fine arts. Successful MFA students at UIUC are typically motivated, independent, and interested in contextualizing their traditional and non-traditional practices within an environment of rigorous interdisciplinary critique. Opportunities for extra-curricular exchange and critique exist through on-campus partnerships and fellowships with the Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities, the Center for Advanced Study, the Center for Democracy in a Multiracial Society, and the Beckman Institute.

Immediate opportunities for exhibition and curation exist through the campus' Krannert Art Museum, I-Space gallery in Chicago, and Ninth Letter literary magazine. Champaign-Urbana also hosts such venues as the Springer Cultural Center, the Independent Media Center, and the independent, student-initiated Open Source gallery. Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis are within a 2.5-hr driving radius, offering destinations for gallery-openings, symposia, permanent art collections, concerts and touring exhibitions. UIUC faculty are particularly represented in Chicago galleries; some base their studios there, as well.

Tuition waivers are available to almost all students through Fellowships and paid positions as Teaching or Research Assistants. Teaching Assistants teach independently for as much as two years of their time at UIUC. Research Assistantships are currently available for students with New/Digital Media or HCI experience, in cooperation with the Department of Computer Science.

Each student is given a studio and 24-hour access to the School's many production facilities. Shops for traditional materials (metal, wood, glass, ceramics) are complemented by the School's computer labs (Mac + PC), digital output labs (digital printers, laser cutter, 3-D printer), and equipment pool (consumer and professional-grade audio and video).

Applications are available at
http://www.art.uiuc.edu/a+d/places/admin/ad_gadmiss.html. Deadline
January 1.

For inquiries, please contact a faculty member.

*FACULTY in Painting, Sculpture, New Media*

Conrad Bakker - http://www.untitledprojects.com
Nan Goggin
Ryan Griffis - http://www.yougenics.net/griffis/
Kevin Hamilton - http://www.kevinhamilton.org
Laurie Hogin - http://lauriehogin.com/
Barbara Kendrick
Tim Van Laar - http://timothyvanlaar.com
Melissa Pokorny - http://www.melissapokorny.com
Anthony Ptak - http://axoxnxs.com/
Joel Ross - http://www.moniquemeloche.com/index.html
Rosalyn Schwartz - http://www.rosalynschwartz.com/
Joseph Squier - http://theplace.walkerart.org/place.html
Deke Weaver - http://www.dekeweaver.com/

*RECENT VISITING ARTISTS*

Alice Aycock
Jane Benson
Chakaia Booker
Stephanie Brooks
Bill Brown (filmmaker)
Nao Bustamante
Jim Campbell
Center for Tactical Magic
Nicolas Collins
Joshua Davis
Kelly Dobson
Jim Finn
Andy Friedman
Hamish Fulton
Sam Gould (Red 76)
Tana Hargest
Institute for Applied Autonomy
Basia Irland
Ilya and Emilya Kabakov
Steve Kurtz (Critical Art Ensemble)
William Pope L.
M. Simon Levin + Laurie Long
Ed Marszewski
Helen Mirra
Trevor Paglen
Laurie Palmer
Laura Parnes
Mike Pearson
Adam Pendleton
Dan Peterman
Danica Phelps
Adrian Piper
J. Morgan Puett
Walid Raad
Renee Ridgway
Davy Rothbart
Gregory Sholette
Shahzia Sikander
Julianne Swartz
Christine Tarkowski
Tony Tassett
Temporary Services

*RECENT VISITING SCHOLARS / CRITICS / CURATORS*

Svetlana Alpers
Bill Brown
Tim Cresswell
James Elkins
Okwui Enwezor
Douglas Fogle
Anne Galloway
Mary Jane Jacob
Christine Kiaer
Michael Kimmelman
Timothy Murray
Sina Najafi
Saul Ostrow
Andrea Phillips
Jane Rendell
Larry Rinder
Michael Rush
Paul Schimmel
Rebecca Uchill
Lisa Wainwright
Hamza Walker
James Yood

*RECENT GRADUATES*

06 Mariah Johnson - http://www.mariahjohnson.com/
06 Andy Ducett - http://andyducett.com
05 Nicholas Brown - http://walkinginplace.org/ (Ph.D candidate,
Department of Landscape Architecture, UIUC)
05 Rose Marshack - http://www.rosemarshack.com/ (CANVAS project,
Krannert Art Museum)
05 Katerie Gladdys - http://layoftheland.net/portfolio/start.html (Asst
Professor, University of Florida)
05 Jonas Downey - http://www.half-a-world-away.com/ (Argonne National
Laboratory)
05 Jennifer Danos - http://jenniferdanos.com/ (Adjunct Faculty,
Minneapolis College of Art and Design)
05 Meredith Warner - http://knittingcommunity.org (Adjunct Faculty,
Moore College of Art and Design)
04 Sarah Kanouse - http://readysubjects.org/ (Asst Professor, Southern
Illinois State University)
04 Susanna Bluhm - http://www.susanna-bluhm.com
04 Sukja Kang Engles - http://www.kangengles.net/
03 Anna Callahan - http://www.anna-callahan.com
03 Kariann Fuqua - http://www.kariannfuqua.com/
02 Sang-ah Choi - http://www.geringgallery.com/bio/sang-ah_choi_index.html
02 Robert Horvath - http://www.aronpacker.com/horvath2/horvath.html
(Asst Professor, Eastern Illinois State University)
01 Scott Anderson - http://www.kavigupta.com/artists/anderson/sa_images.html
00 Julie Farstad -
http://www.riccomaresca.com/artists/slideshows/julie_farstad.htm (Asst
Professor, Kansas City Art Institute)
99 Kevin Kaempf - http://www.peoplepowered.org/
97 Frank Magnotta - http://www.whitecolumns.org/wr.magnotta/gallery.html

*LINKS TO UIUC RESOURCES*

Krannert Art Museum - http://www.kam.uiuc.edu/
I-Space Gallery, Chicago - http://www.ispace.uiuc.edu/
MFA Exhibition 06 - http://www.art.uiuc.edu/grads/mfa_06/
MFA Exhibition 05 - http://www.art.uiuc.edu/grads/mfa_05/
MFA Exhibition 04 - http://www.art.uiuc.edu/grads/mfa_04/
MFA Exhibition 03 - http://www.art.uiuc.edu/grads/mfa_03/
Ninth Letter - http://www.ninthletter.com/

Art Graduate Student Organization
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/ArtGraduateStudentOrganization/index.html

Grad Seminars:
Introduction to Theory and Practice -
http://www.art.uiuc.edu/courses/arts593/wiki/pmwiki.php
Art Economies - http://arteconomies.pbwiki.com/
Mobile Mapping for Everyday Spaces -
http://www.art.uiuc.edu/projects/mobilemapping/index.html
Memory and Computing in the Built Environment -
http://www.art.uiuc.edu/projects/memory/index.html

Walking as Making as Knowing (lecture series) -
http://www.walkinginplace.org/converge
Critical Spatial Practice (reading group) -
http://www.walkinginplace.org/iprh

Open Source - http://opensource.boxwith.com/
Independent Media Center - http://www.ucimc.org/

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

4.

From: Robert-Jan Verhagen <info AT dogwaste.nl>
Date: Dec 1, 2006
Subject: Joshua Davis Exhibitions and Masterclass

Exhibition Joshua Davis

Location: <>TAG, Stille Veerkade 19, 2512 BE, The Hague, The Netherlands
Opening > December 15th
Time> 17.00 hours
Exhibition > December 15th 2006 - January 13th 2007
Open > Wednesday - Saturday from 12:00 - 17.00 hours

Over the past decade, Joshua Davis has established himself as one of the leading forces in the creative field. Using the computer in intuitive and innovative ways, Davis has set the standard for generations of artists to come.
It was no mere coincidence Davis was named one of the Ten Most Creative People by the IPPA (Internet Professional Publishers? Association). He has received numerous prizes and has exhibited all over the globe. He?s also teaching as a professor at the School of Visual Arts in New York City.
The following fragment tells us a lot about his approach, methodology and his views on art.

"Among modern artists I conceptually identify with Jackson Pollock - not that I'm a particular fan of his visual style, but because he always identified himself as a painter, even though a lot of the time his brush never hit the canvas.

There's something in that disconnect - not using a brush or tool in traditional methods. Pollock might argue that it's the process of abstraction that's dynamic, not the end result, which in his case is a static painting.
In my own work, the end result is never static; by making room for as many anomalies as possible, every composition generated by the programs we write is unique to itself. I'll program the ?brushes?, the ?paints?, the ?strokes?, the ?rules?, and the ?boundaries?. However, it is the software that creates the compositions - the programs draw themselves.
I am in a constant state of surprise and discovery, because the program may structure compositions that I may never have thought of to execute or might take me hours to create manually.?

More on Joshua Davis: http://www.joshuadavis.com

Also:

Exhibition Joshua Davis

Location: <>TAG Amsterdam
Adress: Spuistraat 250, Amsterdam
Exhibition > December 16th 2006 - Februari 14th 2007
Open > Monday through Saturday from noon till 19:00 hours

And:

Joshua Davis Masterclass

<>TAG in collaboration with The Royal Academy of Art, The Hague
Date > Friday December 15th
Doors open at > 11.00 hrs
Workshop: 12:00-16:00 hrs
Location: Auditorium Royal Academy of Art (KABK) Den Haag
Adress: Prinsessegracht 4 The Hague
Entrance > Free

At <>TAG, Davis will present some of his latest work. To get an impression of his particular style and approach, check out the links provided below. However, there is more, and this is where things get really interesting...

One of Davis? outstanding qualities is his ability to guide any audience through his creative process in an exciting and dynamic presentation.

You don?t have to be an expert in the realm of software to enjoy this hugely entertaining ride. With Davis at the wheel, there?s little room for academic ivory towers; and why should there be?

On the other hand, if you?re into graphic design, and, more specifically, randomly generated images in Flash, you should drop everything and join us at The Hague?s Royal Academy of Art (KABK)! This is an opportunity you really don?t want to miss out on...

The masterclass is freely accessible, with a limit of 100 participants. And if you?re not able to get there in time, you can always check out the grand opening at <>TAG Headquarters later that afternoon.

For more images and background, please check:
http://www.joshuadavis.com
http://www.once-upon-a-forest.com
http://www.maxalot.com
http://ps3.praystation.com
http://www.kabk.nl

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

5.

From: Jerry King Musser <musser AT musser.cc>
Date: Dec 3, 2006
Subject: The Spoken Days Project

Twelve international artists were each invited to choose a month in 2007, and to record an audio file of themselves speaking all the days of that month, ie: Monday, January 1st, Tuesday, January 2nd, etc. Those audio files were forwarded to me where I added additional sounds or musical elements in response to what they had submitted. Each artist spoke their days in their native language. The result is a conceptual experiment to achieve a 'verbal' calendar. Each month's audio file (MP3) is available for online listening without charge or registration. A good quality computer sound system or headset is highly recommended. Future 'Spoken Days' years will feature speakers from various commonly-held occupations, beliefs or interests, ie: actors, politicians, blue collar workers, and so on. This project was not motivated by politics, religion, or financial goal. It was independently funded by time spent in the process and by the generosity of the various international participants.

www.spokendays.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Support Rhizome: buy a hosting plan from BroadSpire

http://rhizome.org/hosting/

Reliable, robust hosting plans from $65 per year.

Purchasing hosting from BroadSpire contributes directly to Rhizome's fiscal well-being, so think about about the new Bundle pack, or any other plan, today!

About BroadSpire

BroadSpire is a mid-size commercial web hosting provider. After conducting a thorough review of the web hosting industry, we selected BroadSpire as our partner because they offer the right combination of affordable plans (prices start at $14.95 per month), dependable customer support, and a full range of services. We have been working with BroadSpire since June 2002, and have been very impressed with the quality of their service.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

6.

From: crd AT fondation-langlois.org <crd AT fondation-langlois.org>
Date: Dec 5, 2006
Subject: News from the Daniel Langlois Foundation

New additions to the DOCAM Web site

Videos of the presentations and conferences of the second annual DOCAM International Summit, held in Montreal in October 2006, are now available on the Web site of the DOCAM Research Alliance, which focuses on the documentation and conservation of the media arts heritage.

Included are presentations on the progress to date of the various DOCAM committees as well as the seminars led by Mona Jimenez (New York University, New York), Hans Dieter Huber (Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Knste, Stuttgart), Matthew Biederman (Montreal), and Pip Laurenson (Tate, London). The closing conference, given by Canadian artist Vera Frenkel, is also available for viewing.

Among the themes featured are the teaching of the documentation and conservation of technology-based artworks and the "restoration" of these artistic practices:
http://www.docam.ca/en/?p=56

The DOCAM Web site also offers essays written by some of the students who attended the first DOCAM seminar, held last winter at the Daniel Langlois Foundation's Centre for Research and Documentation (CR+D).

The seminar was organized by Will Straw of the Art History and Communication Studies Department at McGill University in Montreal.

Aligned to the DOCAM research themes, these essays focus on subjects that include the conservation of networked art, the documentation of electronic art, and the collecting of new media art by museums, to name just a few:
http://www.docam.ca/en/?p=62

Research and Experimentation Grants in Art+Science+Technology

The Daniel Langlois Foundation is resuming its research and experimentation grant program for individuals or research groups. Call for proposals started on November 1st 2006.

This program offers grants to individuals of all nationalities who make exceptional contributions to the advancement of knowledge at the crossroads of art, science, technology and the environment, or to candidates whose projects show a high level of originality and innovation in these domains.

The deadline to submit a proposal is January 31st, 2007. It is mandatory to use the on-line form:
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/e/programmes/ind/menu.html

Please consult the program guidelines for more information (PDF format):
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/pdf/e/prog_ind.pdf

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

7.

From: thinkis AT gmail.com <thinkis AT gmail.com>
Date: Dec 6, 2006
Subject: La Superette Saturday and LoVid performance

this saturday Dec. 9 is La Superette, where you can get wonderful artist
made items and gifts. in addition to the merch there's a great free and
open to the public performance program I curated (thanks to ETC for
support) and workshops through this year's La Superette partner,
Eyebeam's Holiday Hackshop. all details are below in this message and on
line at lasuperette.org where you can also browse the catalog to think of
gift ideas. also, thursday night Dec. 7, LoVid will perform at Diapason
with Bill Etra. details for that event, Optosonic Tea, are included
below the La Superette announcement.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LA SUPERETTE 2006
IN ASSOCIATION WITH EYEBEAM'S HOLIDAY HACKSHOP '06

SATURDAY DECEMBER 9th - 12:00 TO 10:00 PM
EYEBEAM - 540 WEST 21st STREET - NEW YORK, NY 10011

This year LA SUPERETTE comes to Chelsea, where artists will showcase
original, handmade gifts (ranging from $1-$100) including recycled
accessories, multifunctional stuffed animals, artist publications,
funky house wares, and homemade clothes, with a special focus on
"hacks," the custom configuration of pre-existing hardware or
software. LA SUPERETTE is an annual art market where professional and
amateur artists and craftsmen present and sell their creations to a
wide range of visitors. LA SUPERETTE is a collaborative project
seeking to enhance the dialog between artists and their audience,
placing art in the middle of daily life. This year LA SUPERETTE joins
EYEBEAM in conjunction with HOLIDAY HACKSHOP '06, a DIY tech-workshop
featuring activities from circuit-bending to laser-cutting in a festive
atmosphere.

LA SUPERETTE is conceived and organized as a place for artists to meet
and collaborate on a specific project. A catalog zine is published,
which distributes contact information of all participating artists, a
web catalog is hosted at WWW.LASUPERETTE.ORG, and a video catalog is
produced and screened at the event. LA SUPERETTE 2005 included more
than 100 artists and attracted thousands of visitors and shoppers.

DIY merchandise has been a part of the music world for years through
micro labels and zine culture. Today's proliferation of
interdisciplinary artists and multi-media collectives is concomitant
with an increase of visual artists producing merchandise and multiples.
Many of these artists act as cultural hackers, re-appropriating
history, media, science, and other elements of contemporary life for
their work. They share a growing need to reconnect and to distribute,
so they make t-shirts that look like their paintings or web sites, join
a knitting circle in Brooklyn to rediscover craft, or paint elaborate
packaging for their self-recorded albums. With an emphasis on the
handmade, homemade, and loved, these pursuits help modulate a digitally
reproducible society and give an alternative to mainstream standards.

LA SUPERETTE 2006 will feature an installation by Jake Borndal and Kate
Scherer and in addition to the sale there will be live video, music and
puppet performances, organized by Kyle Lapidus, by a range of artists
utilizing unique moving image techniques and a low-tech hacking
methodology. Employing everything from hacked tape decks and custom
light synthesizers to modified walkie talkies and biofeedback
microcontrollers, performances include 1/3 v. 2 [c.h.i.a.k.i (Chiaki
Watanabe) with Phillip Schulze + Sylvia Mincewicz], Gunung Sari
(Stanley Ruiz + Nick Lesley), NoteNdo (Jeff Donaldson) with Taigaa!,
Jason Zeh, Daniel Vatsky, Chris Jordan, Ben Fino-Radin & Caroline
Charuk, Zach Layton, Neg-Fi, Eiliyas, Daniel Vatsky & DJ Rhizome.

In the spirit of this year's event, many of the artists use unique
moving image techniques and low-tech hacking methodology. Stick around
all day, and you will witness everything from hacked tape decks and
custom light synthesizers to modified walkie talkies and biofeedback
microcontrollers.
*Special thanks to Kyle Lapidus for his curatorial and organizational
prowess.

LA SUPERETTE 2006 PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
** 12:30pm ** Daniel Vatsky & DJ Rhizome ** skyvat.net **
downunderground.org/dig
** 1:30pm ** NoteNdo with Taigaa! ** myspace.com/taigaa
** 2:30pm ** 1/3 v. 2 (c.h.i.a.k.i. Watanabe/Schulze/Mincewicz) **
nicknack.org
** 3:30pm ** Chris Jordan ** seej.net
** 4:30pm ** Ben Fino-Radin & Caroline Charuk ** benjaminter.net **
carolinecharuk.net
** 5:30pm ** Zach Layton ** zachlaytonindustries.com
** 6:30pm ** Gunung Sari ** gunungsari.blogspot.com
** 7:30pm ** Jason Zeh
** 8:30pm ** Eiliyas ** myspace.com/eiliyas
** 9:15pm ** Neg-Fi ** myspace.com/negfi

LA SUPERETTE was founded in 1998 in Paris, France by Tali Hinkis, Marie
Daubert and Tracy Rolling while in school at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts.
In 2001, Hinkis, a multidisciplinary artist, moved to New York City and
began producing the event here. In New York, LA SUPERETTE continues to
successfully distribute the work of many artists from Europe and North
America to a wide audience.

At HOLIDAY HACKSOP 2006, just in time for holiday gift-giving season,
EYEBEAM will be transformed into Santa's tech-workshop with a day full
of artist-led fabrication sessions followed by a holiday party at the
end of the day. At their little North Pole in Chelsea, participants
create their own fun, affordable, custom DIY gifts including Solar
Powered Noisemakers, LED Ornaments, laser cut stencils, and
personalized holiday songs and portraits.

EYEBEAM engages cultural dialogue at the intersection of the arts and
sciences. Its goal is to forge an understanding of the relatedness of
these practices, which are becoming increasingly significant engines of
cultural production.

* LA SUPERETTE is made possible with support from the FOUNDATION FOR
CONTEMPORARY ARTS' Emergency Grant and the EXPERIMENTAL TELEVISION
CENTER'S (ETC) Presentation Fund. The EXPERIMENTAL TELEVISION CENTER
(ETC) is supported by THE NEW YORK STATE COUNCIL ON THE ARTS (NYSCA)

FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT: WWW.LASUPERETTE.ORG and WWW.EYEBEAM.ORG

CONTACT TALI HINKIS (LA SUPERETTE): LASUPERETTE AT GMAIL.COM
OR PERRY LOWE (EYEBEAM): PERRY AT EYEBEAM.ORG

Diapason, gallery for sound and intermedia presents...

Thursday December 7th
8:30pm

OptoSonic Tea AT Diapason

Live sets by:
- Bill Etra (live visuals) with James Herring (music)
- LoVid (Tali Hinkis and Kyle Lapidus) visuals and music on handmade
audio/video synthesizers

Invited artist:
- Anton Marini

Suggested donation:
$ 7

OptoSonic Tea is a new regular series of meetings dedicated to the
convergence of live visuals with live sound which focuses on the visual
component. These presentation-and-discussion meetings aim to explore
different forms of live visuals (live video, live film, live slide
projection and their variations and combinations) and the different ways
they can come into interaction with live audio. Each evening features two
different live visual artists or groups of artists who each perform a set
with the live sound artists of their choice. The presentations are followed
by an informal discussion about the artists' practices over a cup of green
tea. A third artist, from previous generations of visualists or related
fields, is invited specifically to participate in this discussion so as to
create a dialogue between current and past practices and provide different
perspectives on the present and the future.

Organized by Katherine Liberovskaya and Ursula Scherrer

About the artists:

Bill Etra

Bill Etra is the co-inventor (with Steve Rutt) of the Rutt/Etra Video
Synthesizer (early seventies) and a Live Video pioneer. Bill is a founding
member of The Kitchen. Recent projects include work on "The New Machine", an
advanced digital video synthesizer that gives the artist "total plasticity
of image" in real time. Mr. Etra has held several patents, some include
developments for 3-D television and text-based (versus time-code based)
editing of video. Visit www.etra.com for more details.

James Herring (Planet Sounds)

Creating percussive soundscapes and musical compositions primarily using
custom built Kalimbas (African Thumb Piano), mixed with computer based
digital synthesized processing.

LoVid

LoVid is Tali Hinkis and Kyle Lapidus. Using homemade electronic devices and
DIY sculptural instruments, LoVid overwhelms the senses with new media in
their performances, videos, objects, and installations. LoVid has toured
the US and Europe extensively performing, exhibiting, and lecturing at The
Center for Contemporary Art Tel Aviv, The Butler Institute of American Art ,
Evolution Festival, FACT, The Kitchen, Chicago Art Institute, Kansas City
Art Institute, University of Wisconsin, Futuresonic Festival, Upgrade OK,
The New Museum of Contemporary Art, NY Underground Film Festival, The Happy
Lion, and Institute of Contemporary Art London among many others. LoVid is
currently artist in residence at Stevens Institute of Technology, has been
artist in residence at Eyebeam, Harvestworks, iEAR, and Alfred University,
has received grants and awards from Experimental TV Center, NYSCA, and
Greenwall Foundation, and is a free103Point9 transmission artist. In
February 2007 LoVid will be exhibiting a new installation at the Neuberger
Museum of Art.

Anton Marini

Anton Marini (Aka Vade) is a New York based video engineer and new
media programmer specializing in video and 3D systems for post
production, visual effects and realtime systems. His work explores
both designing software environments and systems for realtime
performance as well as aesthetics for abstract visual communication.
Anton Marini is a frequent collaborator at Share (http://share.dj),
and has participated in events such as Anyware, Share Montreal,
Eyewash, Rake, Share AT The Kitchen, as well as leading several
workshops in new media programming environments.

Diapason
1026 6th Avenue, 2S
New York NY 10018
(212) 719-4393
http://www.diapasongallery.org

Avenue of the Americas between 38th and 39th Streets,
two blocks south of Bryant Park.
Subways: 1, 2, 3, 9, B, D, F, Q, N, R, W to Times Square/42nd Street

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Associated Content is the people's media company. We run a massive library of content where you can share your work and earn extra cash. Explore scores of articles, videos, essays, reviews, how-to's and contribute your own. kShow what you know at www.associatedcontent.com/join/rhizome

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

8.

From: TELIC Arts Exchange <info AT telic.info>
Date: Dec 1, 2006
Subject: GAMES FOR 5 JOYSTICKS

GAMES FOR 5 JOYSTICKS, http://www.telic.info/gamesfor5joysticks.htm

Friday, December 1, 2006 AT 7-10 PM

World premiere of seven video games written explicitly for a console with 5 joysticks. The format will be something like a video screening, with each game being played for 20 minutes by anyone who wants to sit down at one of the joysticks.

Pentuby - David Bollinger
tadpoles - Travis Kirton and Damir Kulic
pongish - Travis Kirton
reach_for_the_stars - Mattias Ljungstrm and Andreas Zecher
FSTR - E.R. Rattus
Story Mixer - Jeffrey Ridenour, Silvia Lindtner, Luv Sharma, and Marisa Cohn

Some of the games are original, others are modified versions of arcade classics. They deal with experimental narrative, the fine line between competition and collaboration, artificial and human intelligence, and the possibilities for fun and frustration in art.

None of the creators of these games was actually able to test it with 5 joysticks (so it will really be their world premiere!) Each of them submitted the game through an open call over the Internet -- http://www.telic.info/GamesFor5Joysticks

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

9.

From: domenico quaranta <qrndnc AT yahoo.it>
Date: Dec 2, 2006
Subject: Second Life / Real Life AT Peam 2K6 - The Diamond

*The Diamond*
Pescara Electronic Artists Meeting 2k6
6 - 10 December 2006
Pescara, Ecoteca, Via Caboto 19

The fourth edition of the Pescara Electronic Artists Meeting, amongst the most important events concerning contemporary electronic/digital based arts, will take place from the 6th to the 10th of December. Organized by the Artificialia network, the P.E.A.M. is conceived to be an international meeting and confrontation point for those artists, intellectuals, experts, and others who work in an electronic context or make use of electronics as a basic means of expression. This edition will showcase a large and refined selection of visual artists, performers, musicians amongst the most innovative of the field. The leit-motiv of the whole event will be "the Diamond", an attempt to gather artists and experts coming from as many disciplines as possible (sculpture, dance, theater, literature, music, visual arts, etc.), all with a marked high-tech approach, and to extraordinarily have them converge to the stimulating location of Ecoteca, in Pescara.

Therefore, the idea is to let many intellectuals (critics and curators) converge and present one (inimitable) or two (dichotomy) artists in a single place (the diamond), and, as a consequence, the whole Peam2006 edition will be centered onto unicity and dichotomy - such as war and peace, big and small, good and bad, love and hate, cleverness and stupidity, beauty and ugliness, close and far away, fear and comfort, real and virtual, and so on - and onto their sense of existence. In other words, the meaning itself of the concept of opposites, defining different representations of an unique symbolic system, will be put to a test, artistically.

Info: www.artificialia.com/peam2006/english.html
Press Conference: Tuesday, 5 December 2006, 11.30 AM, Sala dei Marmi, Provincia di Pescara, Piazza Italia 30 - Pescara
Contacts: peam2006 AT artificialia.com

In this context, curator and critic *Domenico Quaranta* (www.domenicoquaranta.com/english.html) will introduce the work of Gazira Babeli and Damiano Colacito, two artists who, in pretty different ways, declare the reality of our experience of virtual worlds.

Born in Second Life on 31st March 2006, *Gazira Babeli* (http://www.gazirababeli.com/) is an artist who turns the performativity of the code into performance itself. Weedy and flexuous in her long black dress which covers fashionably her polygonal haunches, Gazira radiates a strange charm that makes her somebody in between a Voodoo witch and an X-men heroine. Her charm that becomes even more evident during her masterful performances, in which she activates scripts as if they were spells, makes earthquakes happens, provokes natural fatalities and invasions of pop icons (in the place of the biblical locusts). Gazira Babeli is NOT the project of an artist who works in Second Life. She IS an artist, who makes, records and signs performances based on code. She is real, like you and me, even if her action platform is a world of bits.

Born in Atri (TE) in 1973, *Damiano Colacito* (http://www.videoludica.com/news.php?news=434) focuses his work on the basic elements of the contemporary media landscape and the complex relationship between the virtual and the real. In the last few years he devoted himself to the creation of wooden sculptures that portray objects coming from the FPS, such as med-kits, power-ups, weapons, and etc. The Scotchprint skins he puts on the sculptures allows the author to work on details so to obtain a pretty refined reproduction of the texture of those virtual objects, and the use of sound effects, every now and then, makes the realism of the reproduction even finer. As a Pino Pascali of the Doom generation, Colacito creates conceptual sculptures that result to be amazing for both the gamer and the people who don't play videogames: the former comes across familiar objects in the wrong context,while the second has to deal with unfamiliar objects seemingly coming from another world and!
culture. Somehow, Colacito orchestrates a kind of mental teletransport, and materializes the insubstantial nature of the electric energy.

More infos, critical text (in italian) and press images:
http://www.domenicoquaranta.net/peam2006.html

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org 2005-2006 Net Art Commissions

The Rhizome Commissioning Program makes financial support available to artists for the creation of innovative new media art work via panel-awarded commissions.

For the 2005-2006 Rhizome Commissions, eleven artists/groups were selected to create original works of net art.

http://rhizome.org/commissions/

The Rhizome Commissions Program is made possible by support from the Jerome Foundation in celebration of the Jerome Hill Centennial, the Greenwall Foundation, the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support has been provided by members of the Rhizome community.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

10.

From: Jane Marsching <jane AT janemarsching.com>
Date: Dec 4, 2006
Subject: Climate Commons

My new project just began last week--check it out, join the conversation!

Climate Commons
a networked conversation about climate change, sustainability, and the Arctic

developed by Jane D. Marsching with Matthew Shanley

November 27 2006 - February 28, 2007

http://www.climate-commons.net

Please join the conversation by reading the posts and comments and then logging in to respond with your own comments.

Climate Commons is a conversation between thirteen people who focus on climate change, sustainability, and the Arctic in a wide range of disciplines including a glaciologist, an architect, a journalist, and a comedian. Each author contributes weekly posts about their work, inspirations, discoveries, or questions. Readers can join the conversation by clicking on the comments hex icon and choosing a hex cell to respond to any particular post. As an interdisciplinary collaborative hybrid art/research project, Climate Commons seeks to point to the multiplicity of voices behind the complex environmental concerns and to create connections/analogies/discussion across disciplines, economies, and ideologies.

Core participants:
Sally Bingham, Episcopal Priest
Jock Gill, Carbon Neutral by 2020
Mitchell Joachim, Architect
Jane D. Marsching, Artist
Larry Merculieff, Alaska Native Science Commission
Robert Newman, Comedian
Matt Nolan, Glaciologist
James Overland, Climatologist
Sarah Rich, WorldChanging
Russell Potter, Historian
Andrew Revkin, Environmental Journalist, New York Times
Matthew Shanley, Artist/Programmer
Juanita Urban-Rich, Windows Around the World

Climate Commons is part of a larger project, Arctic LIstening Post, a series of interdisciplinary, collaborative hybrid art research works in digital technologies by Jane D. Marsching. On exhibit at the Institute of Contemporary Art Boston, 12/10/06-3/11/07
http://www.icaboston.org

A project of Creative Capital
with the generous support of the LEF Foundation Contemporary Work Fund

Jane D. Marsching
http://www.janemarsching.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

11.

From: dprojx <dprojx AT dprojx.org>
Date: Dec 5, 2006
Subject: Wonder Show at Artists\' Television Access

Artists' Television Access celebrates the cultural fringe in Wonder Show, an alchemical maelstrom of sound and vision, including ATA's annual year-end party and limited edition compilations!

Support ATA and get great art! ATA is giving away limited edition DVD compilations, CD compilations and print compilations to donors as a way of saying THANK YOU for your support. http://www.atasite.org/fundraiser/2006/

The 2006 ATA DVD compilation includes films and videos by Tommy Becker, Sabrina Alonso, Goody-B. Wiseman, Skye Thorstenson, Wago Kreider, Carl Diehl, Tony Gault, Dynasty Handbag, Vanessa Woods, Bill Daniel, Oakie Treadwell and Nate Boyce, with a special bonus track by Matthew Silver. (Watch the trailer on the ATA website: http://www.atasite.org/fundraiser/2006/ ).

The 2006 ATA CD compilation includes tracks by Guillermo Galindo, the Zag Men, Wobbly w/People Like Us, Head Boggle Domo in Aural_ize, The Spirit Battery, Ettrick, Jorge Boehringer and Sword & Sandals.

The 2006 Wonder Envelope includes prints, drawings and more by Lisa Lozano, R.A. McBride, Michael Zheng, Sarah Wagner, Katherin McInnis, Dana Hemenway and Neighborhood Public Radio.

Wonder Show: ATA's annual year-end party happens on Friday, December 8, 2006, 8pm to midnight at ATA, 992 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA. Wonder Show will feature a diabolic spectacle of moving image and sound filling every corner of ATA's premises, with a kaleidoscopic grab bag of punk rock visions from videolusionist Dayv Jones along with electroconvulsive audio by Josh "Kit" Clayton in the main gallery space, and special sideshow presentations in our petit storefront theatre with performances by Uni and her Ukelele and Ryan Stively. PLUS phantasmagoric anomalies from Craig Baldwin's Other Cinema archives. Baldwin welcomes the adventurous, for a long-term sitting or just a brief visit, into the Inner Sanctum, a hidden lair in the bowels of the gallery space, for an introduction, for both neophyte and fan, to the WONDERS of Japanese Monster-Movie history. Special guest-presenter David Cox conducts a fully-loaded guided tour, from the '54 "Gojira" to the apocalyptic "Fin!
al Wars," with heavy-metal amplification and cross-dressing geishas attending to otaku's every sake wish. Don't miss this surreal, one-night only, subterranean cinematic adventure. You can't get any more underground than this!

http://www.atasite.org

Artists' Television Access is a nonprofit 501(c)(3), all-volunteer, artist-run organization. All donations help support ATA's operational and programming activities. Contributions to ATA are tax-deductible.

Rhizome.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an affiliate of the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Rhizome Digest is supported by grants from The Charles Engelhard Foundation,The Rockefeller Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency.

Rhizome Digest is filtered by Marisa Olson (marisa AT rhizome.org). ISSN: 1525-9110. Volume 11, number 45. Article submissions to list AT rhizome.org are encouraged. Submissions should relate to the theme of new media art and be less than 1500 words. For information on advertising in Rhizome Digest, please contact info AT rhizome.org.