The Rhizome Digest merged into the Rhizome News in November 2008. These pages serve as an archive for 6-years worth of discussions and happenings from when the Digest was simply a plain-text, weekly email.

Subject: RHIZOME DIGEST: 5.9.07
From: digest@rhizome.org (RHIZOME)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 21:30:08 -0400
Sender: owner-digest@rhizome.org

RHIZOME DIGEST: May 9, 2007

Content:

+opportunity+
1. 220hex: Piksel07 - call for projects
2. Gwyan Rhabyt: Call for Proposals -- New Media Caucus Panel at College Art Association Conference
3. Joseph DeLappe: Digital Media Position Sabbatical Replacement
4. Klaus Knoll: Scholarships in Media Art Program

+announcement+
5. Marisa Olson: Touring Show
6. enquiries AT folly.co.uk: folly announces new Virtual Creatures online exhibition
7. Ignacio Nieto: <?>
8. Mark: Illogic of Sense: The Gregory L. Ulmer Remix

+Commissioned by Rhizome.org+
9. laurie hb: Conference Report: Dutch Electronic Arts Festival 07

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1.

From: 220hex <gif AT 220hex.org>
Date: May 3, 2007
Subject: Piksel07 - call for projects

-- Piksel07
-- november 15-18 2007

-- call for participation
-- deadline july 15. 2007

Piksel[1] is an international event for artists and developers working with open source audiovisual software, hardware & art. Part workshop, part festival, it is organised in Bergen, Norway, by the Bergen Centre for Electronic Arts (BEK) [2] and involves participants from more than a dozen countries exchanging ideas, coding, presenting art and software projects, doing workshops, performances and discussions on the aesthetics and politics of FLOSS & art.

This years event - Piksel07 - continues the exploration of free/libre and open source audiovisual code and it's myriad of expressions, and also investigates further the open hardware theme introduced at Piksel06.

Piksel07 is done in collaboration with Gallery 3,14[3] which will host this years exhibition. Piksel is organised by BEK and a community of core participants including members of collectives dyne.org, goto10.org, ap/xxxxx, hackitectura.net, riereta.net, drone.ws, gephex.org and others.

open CALL for PROJECTS

For the exhibition and other parts of the programme we currently seek projects in the following categories:

1. Installations
Projects related to the open hardware theme including but not restricted to: circuit bending, reverse engineering, repurposing, modding and DIY electronics, preferably programmed by and running on free and open source software.

2. Audiovisual performance
Live art realised by the use of open source software and/or hardware.

3. Software/Hardware presentations
Innovative DIY hardware and audiovisual software tools or software art released under an open licence.

<<<<<< Deadline - july 15. 2007 >>>>>>

Please use the online submit form at:
http://www.piksel.no/piksel07/subform.html

or send documentation material - preferably as a URL to online documentation with images/video to piksel07 AT bek.no

Contact:

BEK
att: Gisle Froysland
C. Sundtsgt. 55
5004 Bergen
Norway

More info: http://www.piksel.no

piksel07 is produced in cooperation with Kunsthoegskolen in Bergen dep The Academy of Fine Arts, Gallery 3,14. Supported by Bergen Kommune, Norsk Kulturfond and Vestnorsk Filmsenter.

links:

[1] http://www.piksel.no
[2] http://www.bek.no
[3] http://www.stiftelsen314.com
--
--------------------
www.220hex.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Organizational memberships with Rhizome

Sign your library, university or organization up for a Rhizome organizational membership! Give your community access to the largest online archives of digital art and new media art-related writing, the opportunity to organize member-curated exhibitions, participate in critical discussion, community boards, and learn about residency, educational and professional possibilities. Rhizome also offers subsidized memberships for qualifying institutions with limited access to the Internet. Please visit http://rhizome.org/info/org.php for more information or contact Ceci Moss at ceci AT rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2.

From: Gwyan Rhabyt <gwyan.rhabyt AT csueastbay.edu>
Date: May 3, 2007
Subject: Call for Proposals -- New Media Caucus Panel at College Art Association Conference

The New Media Caucus invites panel proposals for our affiliated panel session at the College Art Association annual conference in Dallas 2008. Submitter(s) will chair and organize the proposed session its call for submissions or invitations (the board will help with the admin, and publicity, etc.).

Proposals should outline:
… Concept for the panel
… Areas of investigation
… Questions the panel will raise
… Specific topic areas presenters could address
… What types of presentation formats will be considered.
… If your panel will be invitational who are possible panelists (you don't need to ask them, we just want to see the kind of people you would have as panelists).
… If your panel will have a call for submissions, give us a timetable for the process
… Note: for the affiliated panel, while the panel chair should be a New Media Caucus member, panelists need not be CAA members or even artists. Chairing and participating in an affiliated open session (open to the public) does not disqualify you from submitting a proposal for the following year's CAA conference.
… A CATCHY TITLE -- you really need to stand out in the sea of panels.

As a sample proposal, below is of one of a previous years' panel sessions:

Video art has been used as a conceptual, self-reflexive tool to examine society, culture, and media hegemonies for over 40 years. Video art moves about walls in flowing digital paintings and confronts us like a voice in installations. Similarly, sonic sculptures draw us through gallery spaces, inviting our attention and participation. This panel encourages artists who work with video and/or sound to discuss the relationship of their art to aesthetics, content and technology. Presenters could address: What strategies do artists using video and sound now adopt? How does the public assess the artistic quality of a form that represents entertainment and cheap reproduction? How do we talk about the shared conceptual space between sound, installation and video art? The panel invites proposals from artists, theorists and art historians. Unusual formats are encouraged.

Proposals will be reviewed by the New Media Caucus executive board. The deadline to submit your proposal is May 15th. Notification of acceptance will be late May. Your role on your panel will be as chair. The chosen panel will be submitted to CAA on June 9th.

Email submissions by May 15th to: gwyan.rhabyt AT csueastbay.edu

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Support Rhizome: buy a hosting plan from BroadSpire

http://rhizome.org/hosting/

Reliable, robust hosting plans from $65 per year.

Purchasing hosting from BroadSpire contributes directly to Rhizome's fiscal well-being, so think about about the new Bundle pack, or any other plan, today!

About BroadSpire

BroadSpire is a mid-size commercial web hosting provider. After conducting a thorough review of the web hosting industry, we selected BroadSpire as our partner because they offer the right combination of affordable plans (prices start at $14.95 per month), dependable customer support, and a full range of services. We have been working with BroadSpire since June 2002, and have been very impressed with the quality of their service.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

3.

From: pe <delappe AT unr.nevada.edu>
Date: May 3, 2007
Subject: Digital Media Position Sabbatical Replacement

One year sabbatical replacement position available - contact Joseph DeLappe with any questions - delappe AT unr.edu/775-784-6624

For online application and additional requirements please go to:
http://www.unrsearch.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=52329

Department of Art website:
http://www.unr.edu/art/art.html

The Art Department of the University of Nevada, Reno, seeks to hire a qualified person to instruct classes in digital media in an interdisciplinary context. Candidates should have a wide range of skills in the field of contemporary interdisciplinary digital media art. Proficiency with the Apple Macintosh computing environment required. Further preference will be given those candidates who are well versed in historical and theoretical concepts of interdisciplinary media arts practice. We are interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.

The person who is hired will be required to teach courses at all levels of our undergraduate digital media program. Responsibilities include teaching digital media classes including: Digital Media I, Sound and Image, Imaging and Mixed Media, Advanced Digital Media and Problems in Digital Media. If qualified, candidates may be invited to teach New Media Art in Context or Seminar on Art and Technology.

The Department of Art at the University of Nevada offers BA Studio and Art History options, BFA Interdisciplinary and MFA Interdisciplinary degree programs. The University of Nevada, Reno is the leading research enterprise in Nevada's higher-education system.

Masters of Fine Arts in digital media or related field is required. 1 year of teaching experience at the college level is preferred.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

4.

From: Klaus Knoll <knoll AT transartinstitute.org>
Date: May 4, 2007
Subject: Scholarships in Media Art Program

Scholarships in International Media Art Program

Friends of Transart Institute announced today that through a generous grant from Foundation M. scholarships have become available to students of the low-residency Master of Fine Arts program. For the academic year 2007/8, up to eight partial scholarships will go to students of merit and financial need. Furthermore, two 50% scholarships are available to accepted students in Transart Institute's international MFA in New Media program from East Europe and new EU-member countries through Donau University Krems.

Transart Institute's low-residency MFA in New Media program
offers an opportunity for working professionals to further their career in a highly individualized format. The unique transdisciplinary program creates the possibility of interaction and cooperation between a multitude of genres. The program has students and faculty from Europe, Asia and both Americas. Students create their own educational experience in individually tailored self-directed art and research projects. Four semesters of independent study, one-on-one with self-chosen faculty and mentors are interspersed with three intensive 2-week summer sessions which provide common ground in a tightly interwoven pattern of lectures, critiques, seminars and creative workshops.

The complete program for this year's summer residency including seminars, workshops and public lectures is available at the institute's website: http://www.transartinstitute.org/Pages/Summer_MFA.html

Applications for scholarships
are accepted online at: http://www.friendsoftransartinstitute.org with a deadline of June 1st, 2007.

Further information about the MFA program is available from Jeff Tapia, Head of Academic Support at: admin AT transartinstitute.org as well as Transart Institute's website: www.transartinstitute.org

Application deadline for the academic year 2007/8 is June 1st, 2007: http://transartinstitute.org/Pages/Admissions.html

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org 2006-2007 Net Art Commissions

The Rhizome Commissioning Program makes financial support available to artists for the creation of innovative new media art work via panel-awarded commissions.

For the 2006-2007 Rhizome Commissions, eleven artists/groups were selected to create original works of net art.

http://rhizome.org/commissions/

The Rhizome Commissions Program is made possible by support from the Jerome Foundation in celebration of the Jerome Hill Centennial, the Greenwall Foundation, the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support has been provided by members of the Rhizome community.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

5.

From: Marisa Olson <marisa AT rhizome.org>
Date: May 4, 2007
Subject: Touring Show

Rhizome is pleased to announce the opening of Touring Show, the fifth show in our online exhibition series, Time Shares, co-presented with the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

TOURING SHOW
http://rhizome.org/events/timeshares/touring.php
Curated by Marisa Olson

Touring Show is an online exhibition of artists' maps and 'virtual tours' of contested spaces, ranging from the Military Industrial Complex to the US-Mexico border, to the body. The mapping and social organization of spaces has not only had a profound impact on the cultures that inhabit them, it has also contributed to the development of a number of artistic traditions, including cartography, drafting, and landscape painting and photography. More recently, the emergence of the artists' lectures and tours as artistic media has coincided with the practice of 'radical cartography,' which in its most elemental terms is the charting of a space's relationship to the empire or ideology that governs it. Also significant to the specific cultural moment traced here is the mingling of technology's impact on our landscape and the use of technologies to explore and document this terrain. The artists here offer a combination of web-based and public projects that can be interpreted as tours in this vein. While some of the projects read as interventions, others simply present the information needed to navigate viewers' own subjective traversals.

TIMESHARES
Organized by Rhizome and co-presented by the New Museum of Contemporary Art, TimeShares is a series of online exhibitions dedicated to exploring the diversity of contemporary art based on the Internet.

http://rhizome.org/events/timeshares/

+ + +
Marisa Olson
Editor & Curator
Rhizome at the

From: enquiries AT folly.co.uk <enquiries AT folly.co.uk>
Date: May 4, 2007
Subject: folly announces new Virtual Creatures online exhibition

I am pleased to announce the launch of folly's new online experience:

Virtual Creatures is an online exhibition offering a playful and interactive experience within a virtual environment for new audiences of folly. Each artist-created Virtual Creature will exist within cyber space as a living entity to be petted, visited and/or played with.

A different creature will be highlighted each month at www.folly.co.uk/creatures to encourage visitors to explore the meaning and intent behind the creature’s creation and existence, connect with other visitors and folly staff by contributing to discussions and express their opinions in forums and comments sections.

folly is a not-for-profit digital arts organisation, working in Lancashire, Cumbria and online.

***PRESS RELEASE***
New folly webspace a home to Virtual Creatures

www.folly.co.uk/creatures

The internet is full of artificial life, and as you surf the web you might happen upon some of these invented beings. But for your convenience and pleasure, in this online exhibition folly has brought together in a new webspace the work of five artists who have created their own virtual creatures for you to play with. These creatures all live in cyberspace, where you can pet, tease, manipulate and connect with them.

Once you’ve visited and fallen for these creatures, you can talk about them in folly’s specially created online forum where we will be highlighting a different creature every month.

Internationally-renowned artists featured in the project include Igloo and Jason Van Anden.

folly Programme Co-ordinator Jennifer Stoddart said “Virtual Creatures is part of our follyplay campaign, designed to reach out to new people not yet familiar with digital art. By setting sophisticated pieces of computer programming in a fun and interactive context, we hope many new people will realise the possibilities of this exciting approach to creativity”.

Visit the creatures now at www.folly.co.uk/creatures

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

7.

From: Ignacio Nieto <ignacio_nieto01 AT yahoo.es>
Date: May 7, 2007
Subject: <?>

<?>

The art colective Troyano conformed by: Ignacio Nieto, Italo Tello and Ricardo Vega will present in the
months of May to June the book: Installing: Art and Digital Culture, (book that contain a series of ensays
in the fileds of the art and theory) in several places from the american continent:

- Museum del Barrio. New York
- School of Visuals Arts of Pennsylvania State University. State College
- Telic Arts Exchange, University of Californian Los Angeles.
- Center for Research in Computing and the Arts.
University of California San Diego
- Center Multimedia, DF
- Department of Arts Andes University, Bogota
- Nomads.usp, University of Sao Paulo
- Nacional Institute University of Art of Buenos Aires.

Within this trip, it is contemplated to interview a series of people, involved directly with this crossing between the art and the digital culture. For it, Troyano has thought the following strategy; the people who participate in this email list, could help in the construction of the questionnaire that will be done, sending a question to the following email account:

ignacio_nieto01 AT yahoo.es

Of the received questions, seven will be selected giving the possibility that the interviewed person chooses five of them and gives explanations why she or he did not respond the other two questions. Each one of the interviews will be recorded in Mini DV format to create documentary of trip made by Troyano and then it will be edited and published on the net during the second semestre of these year

The prize to the selected ones will be a the book of Installing: Art and Digital Culture once the art collective Troyano return in Santiago.

The list of the interviewed people will be matiain in reserve
The deadline to recive the questions is: Monday 14 of May

For more information about the conferences and dates of the presentation please write to:
ignacio_nieto01 AT yahoo.es

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

8.

From: Mark <Mark.Amerika AT colorado.edu>
Date: May 9, 2007
Subject: Illogic of Sense: The Gregory L. Ulmer Remix

ALT-X PRESS LAUNCHES "ILLOGIC OF SENSE: THE GREGORY L. ULMER REMIX" AS THE LATEST ADDITION TO ITS INFLUENTIAL EBOOK SERIES

BOULDER, Colorado, May 10, 2007 -- The Alt-X Online Network, a space "where the digerati meet the literati" and on the Internet since 1993, announces the release of a new Alt-X Press ebook entitled "Illogic of Sense: The Gregory Ulmer Remix" edited by Darren Tofts and Lisa Gye, and designed by artist Joel Swanson of hippocrit.com.

Illogic of Sense: The Gregory L. Ulmer Remix
Edited by Darren Tofts and Lisa Gye
Design by Joel Swanson
http://www.altx.com/ebooks/ulmer.html

Contributors include Niall Lucy, Jon McKenzie, Linda Marie Walker, Craig Saper, Rowan Wilken, Marcel O'Gorman, Teri Hoskin, and Michael Jarrett, with an introduction by editors Tofts and Gye.

"Illogic of Sense: The Gregory L. Ulmer Remix" is an exciting new ebook publication that employs theorist Gregory Ulmer's invocation to invent new forms of electronic writing. As the ebook's editors, Darren Tofts and Lisa Gye, write in their brilliant introduction, "Ulmer has been at the forefront of thinking about new cultural formations as the paradigm of literacy converges with digital culture." Ulmer's work has been central to contemporary thinking on the future of writing and his international presence as one of the leading figures in media arts discourse has influenced a multitude of disciplines from electronic literature and Internet art to critical theory, communications studies, and art history. The ebook features a diverse group of artists, theorists, and creative writers who develop new forms of hybridized "digital rhetoric." Their inventive and audacious experiments take advantage of recent developments in the field of new media studies, and as part of Alt-X's !
mission to participate in the creative commons provided by the Web, are available for free download.

This provocative collection of multi-tracked writing puts into play many of Ulmer's breakthrough theories summed up in his most recognized hot-button terms: applied grammatology, heuretics, post(e)-pedagogy, textshop, mystory, and choragraphy. Encouraged by the example of Ulmer's own hyperrhetorical writing style, the authors incorporate collaged imagery, mp3 soundtracks, and QuickTime movies into their innovative multimedia mix while exploring how these same extensions of "writerly performance" explode the false barrier between academic discourse and spontaneous poetics, narrative and rhetoric, and autobiography and fiction. Positing an "illogic of sense" to reclaim what Ulmer calls an "anticipatory consciousness," designed to utilize the force of intuition as a way to invent emergent forms of knowledge, this grouping of hypermedia texts showcase how interdisciplinary writers can remix the methodological approach of an avant-garde philosophy propelled by Ulmer, one that pri!
oritizes an ongoing process of discovery and media arts assemblage.

The ebook is beautifully designed by artist Joel Swanson of hippocrit.com, who crosses his visionary design sensibility with state of the art technology to produce an original work of ebook-art that many will view as finally fulfilling the long-promised potential of online publishing to use stimulating visual arrangement, media hybridization, and typographical ingenuity to blur the distinction between publication, exhibition, and design performance.

“Simultaneously celebrating and expanding on the writing performances located in Gregory Ulmer's rich oeuvre of totally remixable source material, the collection of essays in 'Illogic of Sense' adhere to an experiential approach to creative/critical writing and in so doing teach us how to write a theory of poetics that will help us invent a new field of study that I would call interdisciplinary digital humanities." - Mark Amerika, series editor, Alt-X Press; author of "META/DATA: A Digital Poetics" (MIT Press, 2007)

You can download "Illogic of Sense: The Gregory L. Ulmer Remix" ebook as well as other Alt-X ebooks for free at http://www.altx.com/ebooks/

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

9.

From: laurie hb <lhb AT movinginplace.net>
Date: May 9, 2007
Subject: Conference Report: Dutch Electronic Arts Festival 07

+Commissioned by Rhizome.org+

Conference Report: Dutch Electronic Arts Festival 07
by laurie halsey brown

'Open Systems - a perspective on the Dutch Electronic Arts Festival 07'

‘Interact or Die!’ was the eighth edition of the Dutch Electronic Art Festival. The first took place in 1995. DEAF07 (April 10-29) also marked the 25th anniversary of V2, the Rotterdam-based Institute for the Unstable Media, who organizes the festival.

I attended DEAF03 as well as DEAF04, on which I reported for Rhizome in an article entitled, 'Where’s the Art in Electronic Art?' Each DEAF Festival includes an exhibition, and the DEAF04 exhibition was a bit of a high-end science fair with a large predominance of work that fit the ‘push button, step on platform to make something vaguely pointless happen’ profile. During a symposium at DEAF04, Dutch theoretician/ writer Arjen Mulder described interactivity as two sub-systems connecting: art as a system and the audience as a system to equal the meaning as a process of creation. If the artist presents an Open System then the audience will form a network to then ‘create’ the piece.

The corresponding DEAF07 ‘Interact or Die!’ exhibition did include several works that reflect Mulder’s concept of interactivity.

'Lowest Resolution,' by Zhang Peili (China) reinterprets the scientific process of the video signal to poetically refer to an interactive 'approach.' The viewer’s movement down a long, dark hallway affects the resolution of the image on a LCD screen at its end. The closer one gets, the blurrier the video image, until it totally vanishes.

Hu Jie Ming’s (China) 'Go Up! Go Up!' consists of 24 TV screens stacked as a vertical column. The TV screens show a number of people climbing frantically. The audience interacts with the climbing scene by either shouting at them or making noises--which intensifies the climbing--but they still fall down hopelessly, and start to climb again. The work exemplifies the Chinese proverb that the more you want something, the more unattainable it becomes.

Everyday components of the physical and virtual worlds converge in 'Object B' by Exonemo (Japan). A large cube screens a video game on all four sides. Placed in front are beautiful assemblages using ordinary materials such as hair dryers, keyboards, chainsaws, drills, cleaning brushes--all interconnected to move and create sounds in response to the video games. This collision of the everyday creates an opening for the viewer’s own experience of interactive process.

Roman Kirschner (Austria) created a subtle art / science experiment based on a model of a chemical computer by Gordon Pask in the early 1950s. The piece is called 'Roots,' and like many traditional science experiments, it is contained within a glass tank--although beautifully lit and placed in a dark room. The tank is filled with electricity, which is the key to the transformation of the root-like apparatuses in the tank. They make organic connections to one another amidst bubbles that dissolve into clouds: dark iron crystals grow, break off and sink to the dark ground. Interact or Die!

The DEAF07 symposium focused on the ways that ideas become effective through interaction within networks.

Jeanne Van Heeswijk is a Dutch artist who focuses on the ‘social in the public realm’. Her talk during the symposium dealt with her interest in new forms of intervention in public space. She discussed how public space is controlled and non-typical behaviors are not tolerated. She referred to the “Free Hugs Campaign” video on YouTube that won an award for being ‘Most Inspirational’ although the campaign itself was forbidden in several countries, including Australia and China. Van Heeswijk is presently working on a new piece in which empathy is seen as a radical act. She believes that living in a city is an art and we need the language of art to negotiate our experience within the city. Her interventions are designed to interact with public space to create alternative connections: a technocratic approach vs. the traffic control of space.

At other DEAF07 seminars, the concept of social interaction was recurrent. “Transdisciplinary Innovation” included a talk by Sally Jane Norman, the Director of Culture Lab in Newcastle, UK. She discussed how transdisciplinary practice “will constantly display itself,” as it reflects contemporary society. Transdisciplinary practice differentiates itself from interdisciplinary practice by the level of interaction between collaborators, and by the outcomes of the collaboration. Norman is focused on participatory knowledge structures in response to how larger organizations create niches. The Culture Lab positions experts in situations outside of their area of expertise. This creates an awareness of points of non-communication, which is seen as an aspect of a path leading to new areas of discovery. The Culture Lab is interested in accessing the non-generic user, towards creating social software that can affect social change.

DEAF04 had an extremely positive seminar series that was also continued in DEAF07. Nat Muller is the curator for the Snack and Surge Brunch series, which is subtitled “Biting at the Poetics of Power.” Each of the four seminars in the series included lunch as art, with the themes of each discussion topic reflected in the food. Here, eating became an art experience, and a tasty form of interactivity.

The Out in the Open panel dealt with the myth of openness which is specific to collaborative process. Lauren Wright from Furtherfield.org discussed DIWO: Do it With Others and considered how to emphasize the ‘with’ in the title. One thing she felt was relative was collaboration vs. remote connection. Tim Jones, production coordinator for NODE London, discussed NODE as a model for other cities to connect all their media-based organizations to form one network. He also focused on social software that can extend the collaborative process. To find the right tools, the fundamental collaborative elements should be understood: “Look at how people interact and then develop software that develops out from that. Start with behavior, and then technology is used as an extension of this.” During this discussion, artist Saul Albert used MindMap software to visualize what was being said. He also presented the project ‘The People Speak’ in which artists create strategies for engaging public debate.

Rules of Engagement asked, 'With 72 million blogs, how do they impact on culture? Can they be a form of activism?' Panelist Mazen Kerbaj (Lebanon) attempts to communicate his experience globally by putting drawings of war on his blog. Xu Wenkai (China) maintained that blogs have little impact on local culture as the government controls the blogs. In China, there are firewalls in place that can filter and edit blogs based on list of objectionable words, but the government has very little understanding of the content, so the filter system can be sidestepped. The list of objectionable words gets smaller all the time, but he is looking forward to a day when the list is obsolete. Ellen Pau (Hong Kong) is an artist and activist who thinks that the online tool is powerful for protest in that it preserves memories of urban experience, in relation to a rapidly changing Hong Kong.

Media Insurgency looked at insurgency as legitimate from the inside. Andrea Natella (Italy) created www.where-next.com in which one can bet on where the next international attack will be. The project looks at fear vs. reality, presenting a live map of perception, to see if perception corresponds to reality. Panelists Naeem Mohaieman works on documentaries about Bangladesh politics that deal with audience perception, and is concerned with how his work continues or dissuades stereotypes. He also discussed the inside vs. outside / local vs. global media lens. Contemporary political actions are hyper-aware of media influence, and work in tandem with the media in some cases. His presentation was followed by a live web cast from Extremadura in Spain where they had set-up a temporary media lab near a disused power plant in a 'struggle to free the building.'

Marked-Up City was monumental in that it brought together Mushon Zer-Aviv (Israel) and Leila El-Haddad (Palestine) who are working on a project as part of youarenothere.org. The festival was the first time these two collaborators had met face-to-face. They are using place as a foundation for each culture to share commonalities. Their project is groundbreaking and of great value, both politically and artistically. It deals with urban tourism and a reflection of the human scale of a city as it demonstrates how two cities can live the same realities. Also discussed was city branding by Merijn Oudenampsen (Holland) who saw city identity--as constructed through tourism--as a simplistic representation of a city.

Another interesting seminar, entitled ‘Create’ (a.k.a. Creative and Technology Exchange), focused on online media archives. Researcher Keith Baker discussed the importance of these archives and the lack of memory in net.culture. The seminar advertised its focus thus: 'As technology-inspired art is gaining more widespread acceptance, documentation of the rich and diverse media art histories is becoming increasingly important.' This continues to be the success of the DEAF series.

+ http://www.deaf07.nl
+ http://www.movinginplace.net/DEAF07/

Rhizome.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an affiliate of the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Rhizome Digest is supported by grants from The Charles Engelhard Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency.

Rhizome Digest is filtered by Marisa Olson (marisa AT rhizome.org). ISSN: 1525-9110. Volume 12, number 18. Article submissions to list AT rhizome.org are encouraged. Submissions should relate to the theme of new media art and be less than 1500 words. For information on advertising in Rhizome Digest, please contact info AT rhizome.org.