The Rhizome Digest merged into the Rhizome News in November 2008. These pages serve as an archive for 6-years worth of discussions and happenings from when the Digest was simply a plain-text, weekly email.

Subject: RHIZOME DIGEST: 02.03.06
From: digest@rhizome.org (RHIZOME)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:55:15 -0800
Sender: owner-digest@rhizome.org

RHIZOME DIGEST: February 03, 2006

++ Always online at http://rhizome.org/digest ++

Content:

+opportunity+
1. Marjan van Mourik: ART TECH MEDIA 06
2. Lee Wells: Correction -PERPETUAL ART MACHINE CALL FOR VIDEO AND THEORY

+work+
3. Michael Szpakowski: new QuickTimes & vlog

+announcement+
4. Turbulence: Turbulence Winter/Spring News
5. Lee Wells: FW: Nam June Paik passed away
6. marc garrett: Open Vice/Virtue: The Online Art Context. Andy Deck at
HTTP Gallery.
7. Lauren Cornell: Net Aesthetics 2.0 panel -- February 6th
8. bob sweeny: adding insult to imagery?

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome is now offering Organizational Subscriptions, group memberships
that can be purchased at the institutional level. These subscriptions
allow participants at institutions to access Rhizome's services without
having to purchase individual memberships. For a discounted rate, students
or faculty at universities or visitors to art centers can have access to
Rhizome?s archives of art and text as well as guides and educational tools
to make navigation of this content easy. Rhizome is also offering
subsidized Organizational Subscriptions to qualifying institutions in poor
or excluded communities. Please visit http://rhizome.org/info/org.php for
more information or contact Lauren Cornell at LaurenCornell AT Rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1.

From: Marjan van Mourik <webmaster AT targetfound.nl>
Date: Jan 28, 2006
Subject: ART TECH MEDIA 06

www.artechmedia.net
http://www.artechmedia.net/menu_en.htm

ART TECH MEDIA 06 is a Meeting of Artists, Museum Directors, Art Centres,
Media Lab, Thinkers, Curators, Gallery owners, Collectors, Cultural
Agents, Politicians and Society, in many cases, confused by the methods
and concepts which are so different from the traditional ways of producing
of art, its exhibition, collecting, and way of contemplating.

ART TECH MEDIA 06 was born with the intention of reflecting, analyzing and
viewing art produced using new technologies in Spain within an
international context, and the impact that our polyhedric altered reality
has on their widespread use.

It will be developed in different sections: Lectures, Round Tables,
official announcements for video artists from all over the world, and
exhibitions in the participating venues.

artists call

ART TECH MEDIA 06
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Calling on all artists of the world to participate in ART TECH MEDIA 06
and exhibit their works in a variety of Spanish Museums.

Artworks will be accepted from the following categories:

- Video art
- Net-art
- Computer Animation
ENTRY
All submissions must be received by February 15th, 2006.

Headquarters' Program. Spain
- The Canary Islands (Tenerife) . From March 13th to 18th, 2006.
- Museo de Arte Contemporáneo Unión Fenosa (A Coruña): From March 23rd to
April 23rd, 2006.
- Museo Da2 (Salamanca ): From March 27th to April 2nd, 2006 .
- Museo Vasco Artium (Vitoria ): From April 4th to 9th, 2006 .
- BilbaoArte (Bilbao): From April 17th to 23rd, 2006.
- Centro Párraga (Murcia): Del 8 al 21 de mayo.
- Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía (Madrid): october, 2006.
- Other Museums not confirmed yet

PRESENTATION ART TECH MEDIA
FERIA DE ARTE CONTEMPORÁNEO ARCO
9th february 2006. 18 to 19.30 h
THE ASSEMBLY HALL
Sala N-115
1st. floor of Centro de Convenciones Norte

artechmedia AT artechmedia.net

Thanks MOntse Arbelo and Joseba Franco
www.montsearbelojosebafranco.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2.

From: Lee Wells <lee AT leewells.org>
Date: Jan 29, 2006
Subject: Correction -PERPETUAL ART MACHINE CALL FOR VIDEO AND THEORY

Invitation to Participate

Cinema-scope and IFAC are seeking video art submissions for:
PAM - The Perpetual Art Machine
to be premiered as a featured project at the
-Scope New York Art Fair March 10-13, 2006.

PAM is an interactive video display installation and network designed to
aid in the curatorial process by allowing artists and the viewer to play a
more active roll in its outcome.

PAM is an international survey of cutting edge and progressive film, video
and new media art.

PAM is looking for looking for screen based works up to three minutes in
length and created after 2001.

Writers and Curators encouraged to take part as well.

Deadline: February 20, 2006, sooner the better

Step 1: Register at http://www.perpetualartmachine.com
Once you have received your confirmation you will be able to set up your
profile (contact, bio, etc) and have access to other community tools in
the site.

Step 2: Submit Your Video

NTSC video only (Quicktime .MOV or .MPEG or DVD)
Best case rendering :
Quicktime , 16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz, Photo -
JPEG, 720 x 480, Color, Medium Quality, 15fps.

Include five keywords that describe your piece
Please have disk and materials properly marked with artist name and
artwork information, Name, year, duration.

There are three ways to submit your video.

Mail your on CD or DVD to:
Lee Wells (IFAC) c/o NYCRS
462 Broadway Suite 540
New York, NY 10013
T 917 723 2524

OR

Email us a link to your high resolution video at
perpetua AT perpetualartmachine.com <mailto:perpetua AT perpetualartmachine.com>
Please include the five keywords describing your piece

OR

Login to post your video directly to the Perpetual Art Machine website

---

Please include a self addressed stamped envelop if you would like your entry
returned.

Please contact us if you have any question at
perpetua AT perpetualartmachine.com <mailto:perpetua AT perpetualartmachine.com>
or by phone at 917 723 2524.

We look forward to seeing your work.

--
Lee Wells
Brooklyn, NY 11222

http://www.leewells.org
917 723 2524

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Support Rhizome: buy a hosting plan from BroadSpire

http://rhizome.org/hosting/

Reliable, robust hosting plans from $65 per year.

Purchasing hosting from BroadSpire contributes directly to Rhizome's
fiscal well-being, so think about about the new Bundle pack, or any other
plan, today!

About BroadSpire

BroadSpire is a mid-size commercial web hosting provider. After conducting
a thorough review of the web hosting industry, we selected BroadSpire as
our partner because they offer the right combination of affordable plans
(prices start at $14.95 per month), dependable customer support, and a
full range of services. We have been working with BroadSpire since June
2002, and have been very impressed with the quality of their service.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

3.

From: Michael Szpakowski <szpako AT yahoo.com>
Date: Jan 31, 2006
Subject: new QuickTimes & vlog

Hi
I've been making little movies since 2003 now & there's nearly 100 of them.
In the meantime vlogging has really taken off, so it seems like a natural
thing to present the sequence so
far in this format, with any new ones I make in the meantime interspersed
amongst the old.
For about the next hundred days or so I'll post pretty much everyday and
afterwards as and when.
You can see the first five ( two of which, 'bicycle' & 'counting -cell
phone and strings remix', are new) at

http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/vlog/ScenesOfProvincialLife.cgi

If you've enjoyed my work in the past, &/or you like what you see here,
maybe you'd like to subscribe:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/ScenesOfProvincialLife

best
michael

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

4.

From: Turbulence <turbulence AT turbulence.org>
Date: Jan 27, 2006
Subject: Turbulence Winter/Spring News

|<| FLOATING POINTS 3: UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING [02.08.06 + 03.15.06] |>|
|<<| RELATIONALITY VS AUTONOMY IN MEDIA ART [02.23.06] |>>|
|<<<| UPGRADE! BOSTON: MARISA S. OLSON [02.24.06] |>>>|
|<<<<| NET ART AND NETWORKED HYBRID ART COMPETITION [NOW UNTIL 02.28.06]
|>>>>|
|<<<<<| UPGRADE! BOSTON: BROOKE A. KNIGHT [03.02.06] |>>>>>|
|<<<<<<| TURBULENCE FUNDRAISER [NOW] |>>>>>>|

|<| FLOATING POINTS 3: UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING |>|
In partnership with Emerson College
http://institute.emerson.edu/floatingpoints/
February 8 and March 15, 7:00 p.m.

Floating Points 3 will address the subject of "Ubiquitous Computing" or
"Ubicomp," where computing and wireless capabilities are so integrated
into the fabric of everyday life (clothing, cars, homes, and offices) that
the technologies recede into the background and become indistinguishable
from everyday activities. Panel 1 will focus on responsive environments
and systems, and Panel 2 will concentrate on networked devices such as
barcodes and RFID tags and creative strategies to subvert the
ever-enlarging practice of surveillance and data mining.

|<<| FROM DATABASE AND PLACE TO BIO-TECH AND BOTS: RELATIONALITY VS AUTONOMY
IN MEDIA ART |>>|
Turbulence's Helen Thorington, Panelist
College Arts Association, Boston
http://conference.collegeart.org/2006/sessions/thu/
February 23, 2006, 12:30-2:00 p.m.

Moderator: Marisa Olson
Panelists: Tad Hirsch, Warren Sack, Brett Stalbaum, and Helen Thorington

|<<<| UPGRADE! BOSTON: MARISA S. OLSON |>>>|
In partnership with Art Interactive
http://www.turbulence.org/upgrade/archives/02_06MSO.html
February 24, 7:00 p.m.

Marisa S. Olson is a San Francisco-based artist and is also Editor &
Curator at Large of Rhizome. She has most recently performed or exhibited
at the Whitney Museum of American Art, the New Museum of Contemporary Art,
the Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive, New Langton Arts, Southern
Exposure, Pond, Foxy Productions, Debs & Co, and the international
Futuresonic, Electrofringe, Machinista, and VIPER festivals. While Wired
has called her both funny and humorous, the New York Times has called her
"anything but stupid."

|<<<<| TURBULENCE NEW ENGLAND INITIATIVE II: NET ART AND NETWORKED HYBRID
ART COMPETITION |>>>>|
In partnership with Art Interactive; funded by the LEF Foundation
http://www.turbulence.org/ne2/guidelines.html
Deadline: February 28

|<<<<<| UPGRADE! BOSTON: BROOKE A. KNIGHT |>>>>>|
In partnership with Art Interactive
http://www.turbulence.org/upgrade/archives/03_06BK.html
March 2, 7:00 p.m.

Brooke A. Knight is an artist and educator who has been working with
digital media for over a dozen years. His current areas of interest
include webcams, the landscape, and text in all forms. He is an Assistant
Professor in the Department of Visual and Media Arts at Emerson College in
Boston, where he teaches classes in interactive media. He received his MFA
in photography from CalArts in 1995.

|<<<<<<| TURBULENCE FUNDRAISER |>>>>>>|
http://www.turbulence.org/fundraiser_05/index.html
It's not too late to contribute!

Thanks for your Support.

Jo and Helen

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome ArtBase Exhibitions

http://rhizome.org/art/exhibition/

Visit "Net Art's Cyborg[feminist]s, Punks, and Manifestos", an exhibition
on the politics of internet appearances, guest-curated by Marina Grzinic
from the Rhizome ArtBase.

http://www.rhizome.org/art/exhibition/cyborg/

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

5.

From: LEE WELLS <lee AT leewells.org>
Date: Jan 30, 2006
Subject: FW: Nam June Paik passed away

Lee Wells
Brooklyn, NY 11222

http://www.leewells.org
917 723 2524

From: marc garrett <info AT furtherfield.org>
Date: Jan 31, 2006
Subject: Open Vice/Virtue: The Online Art Context. Andy Deck at HTTP Gallery.

HTTP [House of Technologically Termed Praxis] presents Open Vice/Virtue:
The Online Art Context
by Andy Deck.

?Open Vice/Virtue: The Online Art Context? is an exhibition and public
production space featuring real-time, online collaboration and
interventions in public and private spaces by software artist Andy Deck.
HTTP Gallery is pleased to present this solo show by American artist Andy
Deck, as part of NODE.London season of media arts. For this, his first
exhibition in London UK, Deck uses the Internet, the gallery and public
space to challenge corporate control over communication, tools and
software, and by extension the social imagination.

'The giantism of media corporations and the ongoing deregulation of media
consolidation (Ahrens), underscore the critical need for independent media
sources. If it were just a matter of which cola to drink, it would not be
of much concern, but media corporations control content. In this
hyper-mediated age, content -- whether produced by artists or journalists
-- crucially affects what people think about and how they understand the
world. Content is not impervious to the software, protocols, and chicanery
that surround its delivery. It is about time that people interested in
independent voices stop believing that laissez faire capitalism is
building a better media infrastructure.' Andy Deck

Glyphiti is an online collaborative drawing project resented uniquely at
HTTP. A large-scale projection forms an evolving graffiti wall and
visitors to the space are invited to edit and add graphical units or
'glyphs', which compose the image, in real time. The marks made by each
person, combine with others and are shown as a time-lapse image stream.
Hanging fabrics being shown here for the first time provide a tactile
document of recent years? of Glyphiti. Unlike most image software
available on the Internet, Glyphiti functions through most corporate
firewalls by using standard Web server requests. For the artist,
penetrating firewalls acts as a metaphor to graffiti making: both
activities necessitate the appropriation of privatised space for visual
play.

For more information about the exhibition please visit the link below:
Press Page: http://www.http.uk.net/docs/exhib9/exhibitions9.htm

Private View: Thursday 9th March 2006 7-9pm
Exhibition: 9th March ? 22nd April 2006
Gallery Opening Hours: Friday- Sunday: 12noon-5pm

Screening and presentation of works at Science Museum's Dana Centre 8th
March 5.30-8-30pm
http://www.danacentre.org.uk/

HTTP [House of Technologically Termed Praxis]
http://www.http.uk.net/

Getting to HTTP
http://www.http.uk.net/docs/gettingto.htm

contact: info AT http.uk.net

Supported by NODE.London
Season of media arts, March 2006.
http://nodel.org/

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

7.

From: Lauren Cornell <laurencornell AT rhizome.org>
Date: Jan 31, 2006
Subject: Net Aesthetics 2.0 panel -- February 6th

Hello,

If you will be in the NYC area on the evening of February 6th, please come
out for Net Aesthetics 2.0 -- a panel that will consider current
expressions of Internet art in light of larger technological and social
shifts. Artists Wolfgang Staehle, Cory Arcangel, Michael Bell-Smith and
Marisa Olson will be in conversation with curators Michael Connor and
Caitlin Jones. The panel is co-presented by Electronic Arts Intermix
(http://www.eai.org), and will be moderated by yours truly.

This event is open to Members and non-members.

The full release, as well as event details, can be found here:

http://rhizome.org/events/net_aesthetics_2_0/

It would be nice to meet active, NYC-based participants face to face if
you can make it.

Lauren

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

8.

From: bob sweeny <bob AT untwine.net>
Date: Feb 2, 2006
Subject: adding insult to imagery?

adding insult to imagery? artistic responses to censorship and mass media

january 17-february 16, 2006
kipp gallery, indiana university of pennsylvania

curated by robert w. sweeny, assistant professor of art/art education

featuring works in three areas by:
GALLERY
Mauricio Arango
Martin John Callanan
Jim Costanza
Daniel Jasper
Andrew Johnson
Richard Lou and Bill Fisher
Jason Lujan
Doug Flint and Preston Poe
Billie Lynn
Damon Sauer
Julie Weitz

VIDEO

Carole Ashley/ Artists Against the War
Sarawut Chutiwongpeti
Juan DelGato
Paul LeRoy Gehres
Grace Graupe-Pillard
Score: Elizabeth Grajales And Billy Annaruma
Lane E. Last
Alexander Reyna
Larissa Sansour
Paz Tornero
So Young Yang

net.art

Martin Allman
Grégory Chatonsky
Conglomco Media Network
atomicelroy
Christina Hung Nguyen
Zev Robinson
Robert Spahr
xtine

this exhibit will travel to central missouri state university in fall
2006. supported by grants from americans for democracy project,
citizenship and civic engagement initiative.

www.addinginsulttoimagery.net

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an affiliate of the
New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Rhizome Digest is supported by grants from The Charles Engelhard
Foundation,  The Rockefeller Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for
the Visual Arts, and with public funds from the New York State Council on
the Arts, a state agency.

Rhizome Digest is filtered by Marisa Olson (marisa AT rhizome.org). ISSN:
1525-9110. Volume 11, number 5. Article submissions to list AT rhizome.org
are encouraged. Submissions should relate to the theme of new media art
and be less than 1500 words. For information on advertising in Rhizome
Digest, please contact info AT rhizome.org.

Subscribers to Rhizome Digest are subject to the terms set out in the
Member Agreement available online at http://rhizome.org/info/29.php.