The Rhizome Digest merged into the Rhizome News in November 2008. These pages serve as an archive for 6-years worth of discussions and happenings from when the Digest was simply a plain-text, weekly email.

Subject: RHIZOME DIGEST: 5.30.07
From: digest@rhizome.org (RHIZOME)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:53:34 -0400
Sender: owner-digest@rhizome.org

RHIZOME DIGEST: May 30, 2007

Content:

+opportunity+
1. Franziska Schroeder: Lectureship in Computer Programming for Musical Applications Sonic Arts Research Centre
2. [soundNET]: call : soundart for SoundLAB Edition V
3. workshops AT mediamatic.net: Pure Data Workshop at Mediamatic, Amsterdam
4. Karen Gaskill: INTERVAL07 - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
5. Marieke Istha: ARTIST in RESIDENCE [AiR] 2007 -- OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
6. groka AT thetrendnet.com: Lauren Cornell giving a lecture in Barcelona this Friday

+announcement+
7. ana otero: Preserving the Future: Innovative Strategies for Saving New Media
8. Pau Waelder: Prix Ars Electronica 2007
9. Eduardo Navas: Telic Exhibition: Latency of the Moving Image
10. Jane Marsching: Platform2: June 1 picnic on the commons about the commons

+feature+
11. Lauren Cornell: Rhizome Commissions 2006-07 Now Complete!

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1.

From: Franziska Schroeder <franziska AT lautnet.net>
Date: May 23, 2007
Subject: Lectureship in Computer Programming for Musical Applications Sonic Arts Research Centre

sorry for multiple postings.
i hope this is of interest to some of you.
franziska
__________________________________

dr f r a n z i s k a s c h r o e d e r
Research Fellow
Sonic Arts Research Centre
Queen's University Belfast

Tel. 028 9097 5423
Email: f.schroeder AT qub.ac.uk
__________________________________

Begin forwarded message:

> Lectureship in Computer Programming for Musical Applications
> Sonic Arts Research Centre
> School of Music and Sonic Arts
> Queen's University Belfast
> Ref: 07/K670B
>
> Required to commence as soon as possible, to undertake high quality
> research in line with the School's research strategy, and to teach at
> undergraduate and postgraduate level. Criteria will be given in the
> applicant pack.
>
> Informal enquiries may be made to Mr. Chris Corrigan, tel: (028)
> 90974830 or email: c.corrigan AT qub.ac.uk
>
> Closing date: 4.00pm, Friday 25 May 2007
>
> The University is committed to equal opportunity and selection on
> merit.
> It therefore welcomes applications from all sections of society.
>
> Applications should be addressed to the Personnel Manager, The
> Personnel Department, Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland,
> BT7 1NN. Tel: 028 90973044, Fax. 028 90971040, e-mail
> personnel AT qub.ac.uk, www.qub.ac.uk/pers
>
> http://www.qub.ac.uk/jobs/?vac_no=K670&function=view_job

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Organizational memberships with Rhizome

Sign your library, university or organization up for a Rhizome organizational membership! Give your community access to the largest online archives of digital art and new media art-related writing, the opportunity to organize member-curated exhibitions, participate in critical discussion, community boards, and learn about residency, educational and professional possibilities. Rhizome also offers subsidized memberships for qualifying institutions with limited access to the Internet. Please visit http://rhizome.org/info/org.php for more information or contact Ceci Moss at ceci AT rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2.

From: "[soundNET]" <info AT nmartproject.net>
Date: May 25, 2007
Subject: call : soundart for SoundLAB Edition V

Call: soundart for SoundLAB - Edition V
Theme: soundSTORY
deadline 1 August 2007
---------------------------------------
SoundLAB -
sonic art project environments
http://soundlab.newmediafest.org
is currently preparing its fifth edition looking for new soundart works

In 2004, SoundLAB was launched as a corporate part of the global networking project
[R][R][F]200x--->XP - http://rrf200x.newmediafest.org
on occasion of BEAP - Electronic Art Festival Perth/Australia 2004,
but started soon also individually acting as an environment for sonic art.

Edition IV was launched in October 2006
under the title "memoryscapes" incorporating 144 artists and 235 soundart pieces
dealing with "memory and identity" in most different ways,
and it became corporate part of the media art show
://selfportrait - a show for Bethlehem - a show for Peace
http://self.engad.org. - which is currently running at
MACRO - Museo de Arte Contemporaneo Rosario/Argentina
http://www.marcromuseo.org.ar
.
Edition V stands under the theme: --> "soundSTORY"
exploring "sound" as a tool for storytelling.
Therefore besides the soundart piece itself,
the story this piece is telling has a particular relevance.

SoundLAB is inviting soundartists, musicians and composers
to submit such a soundart narrative.

Please find all entry details and the submission form on
http://www.nmartproject.net/netex/?p=24
.
SoundLAB Editions I - IV
can be visited on http://soundlab.newmediafest.org
Released by
NetEX - networked experience
http://nmartproject.net/netex
powered by
[NewMediaArtProjectNetwork]:||cologne
www.nmartproject.net -
the experimental platform for art and New Media
operating from Cologne/Germany.
.
info& contact
info (at) nmartproject.net

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Call for Entries from L.A. Center for Digital Art

Los Angeles Center for Digital Art ( http://lacda.com ) announces our international juried competition for digital art and photography. Jurors: Rebecca Morse, MOCA Gabriel Ritter, MOCA Rex Bruce, LACDA. Entrants submit three JPEGs. All varieties of flat digital artwork accepted. Winner receives 10 prints shown in a solo exhibition from June 14, 2007-July 7 2007. Five second place winners scheduled into upcoming shows. Deadline: May 30, 2007. Entry fee $30US.

Prospectus: http://lacda.com/juried/juriedshow.html
Registration: http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=133352

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

3.

From: workshops AT mediamatic.net
Date: May 29, 2007
Subject: Pure Data Workshop at Mediamatic, Amsterdam

25 | 26 & 27 | 28 | 29 June
Making practical designs with Pure Data in a 5, 3 or 2-day workshop

Pure Data (or PD) is a visual programming language for the creation of interactive computer music, video and multimedia works. It has become a pioneering application in the contemporary art field.

This workshop is an opportunity for video makers, musicians, artists and designers to learn how to process and organize image, sounds and video and how to use the networking possibilities of Pure Data.

WORKSHOP APPROACH
During an introductary 2-day workshop (25 | 26 June) participants will learn the basics of using PD and of manipulating video, images and sound.
In the 2nd workshop (27 | 28 | 29 June) you will get more in-depth knowledge and work for 3 days on your own PureData sound or video project. It is a 5-day workshop, but depending on your experience and preferences it is possible only to follow the introductory workshop or only the in-depth workshop.

TRAINER
Koray Tahiroglu from Turkey / Finland, is a very experienced 'PD'er', connected to the Media Lab of the University of Art & Design in Helsinki. Koray gives PureData workshops all over Europe. Technical people will assist him and help participants through the design process.

INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION
Deborah Meibergen or Klaas Kuitenbrouwer can give you more information at
+ 31 (0)20 6389901
Registration is possible online: www.mediamatic.net/workshopregistration

LOCATION
Mediamatic is located in the centre of Amsterdam
Oosterdokskade 5, fifth floor, 1011 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands

COSTS
5 days EUR 250,- | 3 days EUR 175,- | 2 days EUR 100,- (incl. VAT).
Student discounts: 5 days EUR 200,- | 3 days EUR 150,- | 2 days EUR 75,- (incl. VAT).

www.mediamatic.net/puredata

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

4.

From: Karen Gaskill <karen AT interval.org.uk>
Date: May 29, 2007
Subject: INTERVAL07 - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

INTERVAL07 - Call for Submissions

Turnstile - Single Use
An Interval platform event

DEADLINE: 6.00 PM ON MONDAY 25TH JUNE 2007

Turnstile is a new concept in art tourism - an innovative exhibition format developed around the idea that most people only visit an exhibition once.

Turnstile utilises this observation as an approach and redesigns the approach to an exhibition, mimicking an audiences actions and flow.

Turnstile will consist of a series of 4 single-day exhibitions. Each day will see 5 artists install, exhibit and remove their work from the venue. This style of event is new and innovative, responsive to tight schedules and busy lifestyles. The space will be open for preview each evening from 5-9pm, after which the work will be removed ready for the next 5 artists to install. Each day is sub themed, aiming to explore different contextual approaches around the notion of Single Use (Please see website or submission form for details).

Time is throwaway, a disposable and low valued commodity. Many contemporary objects and experiences are designed for single use, nurturing a short term, disposable society, a culture of quick consumption and fickle fashions.

Art and media are often viewed in a similar way. Many people only visit exhibitions once, absorbing as much of the experience as possible, lingering if it interests them. Interval is interested in work with this 'one off' culture in mind; this may be representative in the materials used, the critical approach, or even the consideration of a 'one off' as something precious and cherishable.

Turnstile responds to the hidden positives in the above demise, providing 4 intensive and concentrated time slots for artists to show their work. This shortens the window in which an audience gets to see a piece of work, and for the artists places more emphasis on creativity and experimentation instead of semi-permanent, installed, polished work. Overall, this aims to create an ongoing flow of ideas and topics for discussion in the space instead of static content.

Interval invites artists working in new media to submit works that respond to one or more of the 4 themes under 'Single Use', which are:
Successful Failure
Everything Must Go
Outside of Parallel
Portable Rest

The selected work will be showcased in an exhibition in July 2007 in an empty retail space in Central Manchester, UK.

A fee of 50 GBP is available for each participating artist (subject to funding).

Interval is an independent artist led platform with a focus on new media practice. Established in 2005, it acts as a critical springboard, offering collaborative exhibition opportunities to both emergent and established practitioners using technology as a key component within their work.

For more information and a detailed brief please see: www.interval.org.uk and go to Upcoming Events

Or download guidelines and a submission form here:
http://www.interval.org.uk/downloads/Interval07_Turnstile.pdf
http://www.interval.org.uk/downloads/Interval07_Turnstile.doc

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org 2006-2007 Net Art Commissions

The Rhizome Commissioning Program makes financial support available to artists for the creation of innovative new media art work via panel-awarded commissions.

For the 2006-2007 Rhizome Commissions, eleven artists/groups were selected to create original works of net art.

http://rhizome.org/commissions/

The Rhizome Commissions Program is made possible by support from the Jerome Foundation in celebration of the Jerome Hill Centennial, the Greenwall Foundation, the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support has been provided by members of the Rhizome community.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

5.

From: Marieke Istha <istha AT montevideo.nl>
Date: May 30, 2007
Subject: ARTIST in RESIDENCE [AiR] 2007 -- OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

ARTIST in RESIDENCE [AiR] 2007
OPEN CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

+ + DEADLINE: 1 SEPTEMBER 2007 + +

in brief:
residency period 3 months
dates from September 2007
location Amsterdam, Netherlands

The Netherlands Media Art Institute is pleased to annouce an open call for the fall 2007 round of its Artist in Residence (AiR) program.

The AiR programme at the Netherlands Media Art Institute aims to support the exploration and development of new work in digital/interactive/network media and technology based arts practice. The residency provides time and resources to artists in a supportive environment to facilitate the creation of new work that is produced from an open source perspective. We encourage a cross disciplinary and experimental approach. This is a practice based residency designed to enable the development and completion of a new work.

Our focus for this open call is on open source interactive
* installation art, in which the following occurs:
* interaction between tools and/or software
* interaction between tools and artwork
* interaction between audience and artwork

The Netherlands Media Art Institute offers an open environment with technical assistance and an active advisory board which will give feedback and support in technical, conceptual and presentation issues. There is access to studio and exhibition equipment, technical support from the Institute’s staff and production help from interns. The technical staff is specialized and has good contacts with programmers of the following software, a.o.: PD/PDP, Blender, Dynebolic, Linux. We expect the artist to have knowledge and insight in the technical realization of the concept.

It is integral to the mission of the AiR program that artists participate in presenting their work in a public form appropriate to their project. This can include gallery installations, demonstrations of research in progress, panel discussions, on-line projects, or multimedia performances, in addition to open studio events and workshops. For this reason we ask that artists include in their proposal possible examples of how they might like to present their work publicly.

At this moment the Netherlands Media Art Institute provides in travel costs. It doesn’t provide accommodation for artists living outside of Amsterdam. However, we are willing to help the search but cannot guarantee a place for living.

Application
Application form: http://www.montevideo.nl/en/onderzoek/aanvraagform.html

The application form can be send to:

Netherlands Media Art Institute
Artist in Residence
c/o Annet Dekker
Keizersgracht 264
1016 EV Amsterdam
the Netherlands

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

6.

From: "groka AT thetrendnet.com" <groka AT thetrendnet.com>
Date: May 30, 2007
Subject: Lauren Cornell giving a lecture in Barcelona this Friday

The Trend Sessions Devoting Day Two to NetArt at Espacio Movistar

Next Friday, June 1, at 5:30 PM, Lauren Cornell, Executive Director of Rhizome.org, will give a lecture in Spain on new trends in Net Art.

The present and, above all, the future of Net Art will be the focus of the coming edition of The Trend Sessions, a project seeking to explore the intersections of new technologies and creativity within Espacio Movistar.
There is one essential reference for digital art on the Net: Rhizome.org, a portal that has been in existence for over ten years, leading the way in digital art. Its executive director, Lauren Cornell, will be teaching a Masterclass analyzing the latest trends in this sphere of creative art.

Lauren Cornell will go over the history of Rhizome, a touchstone of Digital Art which supports emerging art practices involving the use of technology. She will briefly discuss the way it is set up and the growth experienced over its first decade.

Ms Cornell will further present the latest digital art exhibitions she has curated, for private galleries and for the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Lastly, she will reflect upon the challenges of curating in this inherently dynamic and immaterial medium, and offer her expert views on new trends and directions for digital art.

After this presentation, at about 7:30 pm new media researcher Raquel Herrera will be chairing a panel discussion featuring two of Spain's own digital art experts alongside Lauren Cornell.

Laura Baigorri, lecturer in Fine Arts at the University of Barcelona, and Pau Alsina, researcher at IN3 and director of Artnodes, an e-journal, will be sharing their views on this emerging medium and their outlook on the future of the Net as a base and medium for art.

The Trend Sessions

This Trend Session devoted to Net Art is the second event within the overall symposium devoted to new technologies and creativity in Espacio Movistar. The symposium consists of masterclasses and debates with world-renowned personalities in each sphere addressed. On May 25th, Jordi Grangel, director of Grangel Studios, taught a Masterclass about his work on Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride".

The last session, devoted to music, is scheduled for June 8 at Espacio Movistar, and will be followed by a closing party to begin at midnight and continue on till 5 AM.

Remember: attendance is free but space is limited. In order to attend, just book a seat by calling 690-770-720 or e-mailing thetrendsessions AT espaciomovistarprensa.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Support Rhizome: buy a hosting plan from BroadSpire

http://rhizome.org/hosting/

Reliable, robust hosting plans from $65 per year.

Purchasing hosting from BroadSpire contributes directly to Rhizome's fiscal well-being, so think about about the new Bundle pack, or any other plan, today!

About BroadSpire

BroadSpire is a mid-size commercial web hosting provider. After conducting a thorough review of the web hosting industry, we selected BroadSpire as our partner because they offer the right combination of affordable plans (prices start at $14.95 per month), dependable customer support, and a full range of services. We have been working with BroadSpire since June 2002, and have been very impressed with the quality of their service.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

7.

From: ana otero <4anaotero AT gmail.com>
Date: May 23, 2007
Subject: Preserving the Future: Innovative Strategies for Saving New Media

Preserving the Future: Innovative Strategies for Saving New Media

Wednesday, June 6, 2007
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Electronic Arts Intermix (EAI)
535 West 22 Street (10th and 11th Avenues)
5th floor
New York, NY

IMAP is pleased to offer an overview of the current state of the media preservation field. This panel follows the launch of the comprehensive web resource, the EAI Online Resource Guide for Exhibiting, Collecting & Preserving Media Art ( http://www.eai.org/resourceguide), for which IMAP created the Preservation section ( http://www.eai.org/resourceguide /preservation).

Four panelists with expertise in archives, museums, art conservation and technology, will share recent developments and best practices in care and conservation of single-channel, video installation and new media art.

Drawing from the extensive research that was compiled for the Preservation section of the Online Resource Guide, this panel is geared to media arts professionals, archivists, conservators, artists and other caretakers of media collections, who will learn pragmatic information and strategies for tackling media preservation challenges.

Panelists:

Jeff Martin, Independent Media Archivist (moderator)
Coordinator of the Preservation section of the Online Resource Guide, Mr. Martin will give an overview of the issues covered in the website and discuss preservation challenges for single-channel video and obsolete playback equipment.

Ann Butler, Senior Archivist, Fales Library & Special Collections, NYU
Ms. Butler will discuss basic principles, practices, and problems of media arts documentation.

Glenn Wharton, Special Projects Conservator, MOMA; and Research Scholar, Conservation Center of the Institute of Fine Arts and Museum Studies, NYU
Dr. Wharton will discuss how museums are responding to the conservation and re-installation needs of complex media installations, with specific reference to his work at MoMA.

Francis Hwang, Artist and Software Engineer
Focusing on the example of artist Shu Lea Chang's interactive work "Brandon," Mr. Hwang will discuss technical aspects of preserving software-based art and the broader implications for arts organizations.

------
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, with additional support from the New York State Council on the Arts.

------
SAVE THE DATE: IMAP is offering two Introduction to Video Preservation Workshops in New York: Friday, June 15 at BRIC Studio in Brooklyn and Saturday, June 16 at NYU; both from 12 - 4 p.m. (more info to follow)

Visit the IMAP website for more information on electronic media preservation and other upcoming programs: www.imappreserve.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

8.

From: Pau Waelder <pau AT pauwaelder.com>
Date: May 24, 2007
Subject: Prix Ars Electronica 2007

The 2007 Prix Ars Electronica invited submissions in a total of eight categories that˜taken as a whole˜reflect the growing diversification of digital media art as well as the ongoing development of the Prix Ars Electronica. The most obvious manifestations of these two processes are this year&#39;s two new categories: Hybrid Art and Media.Art.Research.

Hybrid Art focuses on hybrid and transdisciplinary projects. The essential element is the blending and interweaving of different media and genres into new forms of artistic expression. For many artists, it‚s become a matter of course to transgress boundaries: they conduct research, pursue an active commitment to social and political causes, or engage with pop culture, and it‚s now time to formally acknowledge this development. Hybrid Art is designed to expand the scope of the Prix Ars Electronica categories of long standing and thus to create latitude for #3new and unexpected forms of creativity.

Media.Art.Research, in turn, focuses on scholarly work in art history and media studies. This year's theme is net-based artforms. The prizewinning work will be honored with a cash award to be used for a specified purpose from Linz's Ludwig Boltzmann Institute. This category is meant to formally acknowledge the theoretical research currently being done on media art, which has developed into a thematically wide-ranging discipline in its own right over the last two decades. The great diversity and current relevance of the work being done by media artists call for a process of scholarly reflection designed to historically contextualize this art, to mediate encounters with it by today‚s audiences and to preserve it for the future. The Ludwig Boltzmann Institute Media.Art.Research http://media.lbg.ac.at/en/index.php was established by the Ludwig Boltzmann Society in 2005. It will pursue its mission for seven years under the aegis of the Ars Electronica Center, the Linz Art Unive!
rsity and the Lentos Museum of Art. On the basis of the extensive holdings of the Ars Electronica Archive, the institute is doing scholarly work in the fields of media art and media theory.

Golden Nicas

A Golden Nica is presented to the winner in each of the following categories: Computer Animation / Film / VFX, Digital Musics, Hybrid Art, Interactive Art, Digital Communities and u19 ˆ freestyle computing. Ars Electronica also awards [the next idea] Art & Technology Grant and the Media.Art.Research Prize.

COMPUTER ANIMATION / FILM / VFX
Codehunters / Ben Hibon (UK) / BLINK PRODUCTIONS

Ben Hibon‚s Codehunters is an action-packed, apocalyptic work of animation. It‚s set in the distant future in the slums of Lhek, a Far Eastern city that‚s being plunged into chaos. Here, might makes right since the evil Khaan eliminated Krai, his last adversary, and installed his reign of terror. But resistance rears its head again with the emergence of Shen, Lawan, Zom and Nhi. They‚re the Codehunters and their aim is to triumph though all who‚ve gone before them have failed. In a final, decisive battle, their mission is to free the land and its inhabitants from Khaan‚s stranglehold and to help Krai regain power and reestablish just rule ...

DIGITAL MUSICS
Reverse Simulation Music / Masahiro Miwa (JP) / IAMAS
http://www.iamas.ac.jp/~mmiwa/

Mashiro Miwa‚s Reverse Simulation Music is based on composition structures developed by computer and then played by musicians, performers or mechanical devices. Depending on the concrete movements and actions of the performers as they go about this, prescribed rules and calculations are acoustically reproduced in a particular or a random (improvised) order. In contrast to traditional compositions, „Reverse Simulation Music‰ is not an effort to intonate and acoustically recreate natural phenomena; it rather does just the opposite: transform „artificial,‰ computer-developed rules and structures into natural phenomena.

HYBRID ART
SymbioticA (AU)
www.symbiotica.uwa.edu.au

SymbioticA is a prototypical laboratory that combines artistic approaches and scientific methods, and makes them mutually accessible. Neurosciences, molecular biology, anatomy physics, anthropology and ethics˜SymbioticA interweaves a wide variety of scholarly disciplines with artistic issues and especially problematic areas having to do with the life sciences. This interdisciplinary research process ultimately delivers commentary and evaluation on scientific methods.

INTERACTIVE ART
Park View Hotel / Ashok Sukumaran (IN)
http://0ut.in/parkviewhotel

Ashok Sukumaran‚s Park View Hotel opens up a dialog between human beings and architecture. The setting is the César Chavez Plaza and the adjacent Fairmont Hotel in downtown San José. A specially constructed telescopic sight makes it possible to focus in on and „mark" individual windows of the hotel building as well as street lamps on the plaza below. Variously colored light impulses follow the „route‰ thus established, jumping from window to window and across the street to the street lamps on the plaza. Human being, park and hotel building communicate with one another ...

DIGITAL COMMUNITIES
Overmundo (BR)
www.overmundo.com.br

Overmundo was developed by Hermano Vianna, Alexandre Youssef, Ronaldo Lemos and José Marcelo Zacchi and is both a community as well as a software tool. The Web 2.0 platform focuses on Brazilian cultures in all their diversity and complexity. Texts, images, videos and pieces of music reflect the age groups, genders, ethnic groups, regions and languages of Brazilian society/societies. Overmundo is an open and transparent online discussion forum that bridges geographical and social barriers. It conveys culturally and sociopolitically relevant discussions and scenes from large urban centers to rural regions and, conversely, gives citydwellers a feel for the way people in the countryside see things.

u19 ˆ FREESTYLE COMPUTING
VoIP-Wiki / Daniel Robinig, Manuel Salzmann, Matthäus Spindelböck
http://projects.htl-klu.at/Projekt_0607/pr5dhi09/Internet/index.html

VoIP-Wiki is a voice-over IP system that can be used for a variety of different purposes. For instance, it makes it possible to acoustically access information in a wiki system like Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia. The voice connection is made either via voice-over IP, cell phone or landline. The project was realized in cooperation with the Carinthian Association of the Blind. Its many potential applications promise to substantially improve the quality of life of people who are blind or have impaired vision.

[THE NEXT IDEA] ART AND TECHNOLOGY GRANT
SUN_D / Jonas Burki (CH) / FHNW / University of Art and Design / HyperWerk Institute
www.sun-d.ch

With the development of SUN_D, Jonas Burki has come up with a concept for an image projection system with great promise for the future. It‚s based on the mechanical manipulation of the light and shadow from an existing light source. SUN_D gets along without screens and energy-squandering beamer methods; it only takes advantage of already available light sources˜in public spaces, sunlight, for instance. SUN_D links together information and art in an innovative, sensory way that arouses observers‚ natural curiosity and thus gets their attention. Simple mechanisms make it possible to perceive the process of origination of the projected information. Unobtrusively yet effectively, the messages depicted through the use of SUN_D set themselves apart from the deluge of information with which we are constantly being flooded.

MEDIA.ART.RESEARCH AWARD
Exe.cut[up]able statements - Poetische Kalküle und Phantasmen des selbst-ausführenden Texts / Florian Cramer (NL/DE)

Florian Cramer‚s dissertation Exe.cut[up]able statements - Poetische Kalküle und Phantasmen des selbstausführenden Texts investigates literature˜older works as well as contemporary ones˜that are based on calculation and algorithms. This text analyses cabbalistic combinations of utterances, word permutations, aleatory (combinational), stochastic (random) and recursive (running in reverse) texts, computer-generated literature as well as the poetics of programming languages and encoding systems. In going about this, calculations and algorithms are regarded as dimensions of language and literature like graphics and phonetics are perceived as dimensions of visual and acoustic compositions. A general characteristic of algorithmic literature is that calculations and algorithms cannot be separated from the text (and its meaning); rather, they possess their own poetics, which is why the text is „self-executing.‰ Its meaning (semantics) thus refers to the encoding system on !
which it is based and vice versa. Exe.cut[up]able contains a brief account of the history of this literary genre and also analyses two concrete texts: „Quirinus Kuhlmann‚s 17th-century permutational sonnet XLI„ and „Vom Wechsel menschlicher Sachen and mez&#39; _Viro.Logic Condition][ing][ 1.1_‰ by Libeskuß.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

9.

From: Eduardo Navas <eduardo AT navasse.net>
Date: May 28, 2007
Subject: Telic Exhibition: Latency of the Moving Image

FEATURE: The Latency of the Moving Image in New Media, at Telic, Los Angeles

³The Latency of the Moving Image in New Media²
May 25 to June 16

An exhibition of videos, online art, blogs, and audiovisual interfaces by artists who make the most of latency as a crucial element in their works.

Curated by Eduardo Navas.
Go to the exhibition:
http://www.telic.info/onlinegallery/latency/

TELIC Arts Exchange
975 Chung King Road
Los Angeles, CA 90012
T: 213.344.6137
http://www.telic.info
info AT telic.info

³The Latency of the Moving Image in New Media² presents artists who make latency part of visual language in their works.

Some of the works included in the exhibition are to be experienced online while others are to be seen as projections in an actual space, and others are downloadable interactive projects developed as freeware. The works will be available for viewing at Telic in a way that is sensitive to their original contexts.

Near the end of the exhibition, AAAARG.ORG presents an open conversation about latency with Eduardo Navas. Relevant texts will be posted to http://aaaarg.org/category/latency. The date and time of this conversation are to be announced.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

10.

From: Jane Marsching <jane AT janemarsching.com>
Date: May 29, 2007
Subject: Platform2: June 1 picnic on the commons about the commons

Platform2: Art and Social Engagement presents:

“The Commons” on The Common
Friday, June 1, 5:30 – 7:30PM
Meet in front of the State House on Boston Common at the 20-foot picnic blanket.
Food & drink on hand, but please bring something of your own to share.

A picnic on the Boston Common where we will discuss “the Commons” in relation to the work of invited guests, including Iain Kerr, Paul Bartow, Stan Pipkin/spurse and David Bollier of onthecommons.org. Excerpts from Lewis Hyde's upcoming book on the commons will be read.

What is the Commons?
“The commons is an emerging new paradigm for understanding how groups of people can create and preserve value in more sustainable ways. Unlike the conventional market paradigm, the commons consists of a diverse set of models rooted in social norms and ecological principles. A growing number of scholars, activists and policymakers is beginning to recognize the power of the commons matrix and its importance in creating and managing resources.” — from www.onthecommons.org

Featuring
spurse is an international collective composed of individuals with experience in a wide variety of fields. spurse has no (fixed) content or members – rather it is a viral multiplicity that is continuously reforming itself as it becomes new projects and new events. In this, it is open to change, contradiction, multiplicity, tangents, infection, and betrayal. We are interested in considering the public as that which must be continually constructed as a part of the invention of public space. In this we are interested in emergent forms of individuality – swarms, crowds, the person, groups, ecosystems… www.spurse.org

David Bollier is an activist, author and Editor of OntheCommons.org, the website and blog of the Tomales Bay Institute that explores the commons as a new paradigm of politics, economics and culture. He is the co-founder of Public Knowledge, a Washington public-interest advocacy group that fights reckless extensions of copyright law, and the author of /Silent Theft: The Private Plunder of Our Common Wealth/ (2002), /Brand Name Bullies: The Quest to Own and Control Culture /(2005), and seven other books. He lives in Amherst, Massachusetts. www.OntheCommons.org

Platform2 is a series of events that are designed to facilitate dialogue about art & social engagement. Platform2 is organized by iKatun and Jane D. Marsching.

http://www.janemarsching.com/platform2

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

11.

From: Lauren Cornell <laurencornell AT rhizome.org>
Date: May 30, 2007
Subject: Rhizome Commissions 2006-07 Now Complete!

Rhizome is pleased to announce that the eleven art works, commissioned in our 2006-07 cycle, are complete and available for contemplation, play or download now. No specific theme was outlined in the 2006 call yet the commissioned works share themes and concerns. Several take hidden or repressed information as their source material. Others examine the kinds of behavior the Internet encourages or inhibits through the creation of participatory systems. All together, the eleven artists/ collective have taken an incredibly thoughtful approach to the Internet and networked technologies, considered its artistic, cultural and political dimensions and produced provocative artworks Rhizome is proud to have supported. These works will also be presented at the New Museum of Contemporary Art in 2008 and preserved in the Rhizome ArtBase.

Stay tuned – the works in the 2007-08 Commissions cycle will be announced soon!

The Rhizome Commissions program is supported, in part, by funds from The Greenwall Foundation, the Jerome Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts and by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support is provided by generous individuals and Rhizome Members.

DESCRIPTIONS/ URLS of 2006-07 COMMISSIONED PROJECTS:
Also online at: http://www.rhizome.org/commissions/2006.rhiz

Title: Oppera Internettikka - Protection et Securite
Artist: Annie Abrahams and Igor Stromajer
Description: Oppera Internettikka - Protection et Securite explores the poetics of a contemporary sound form: live opera as a sound event in the form of a live Internet audio broadcast. It combines Internet protocols with a classical art space: the opera house. In essence, the project bridges two different spaces: Opera, which is a traditional art form with much passion and the Internet, a lonely place becoming more and more fragile, hostile and suspicious.
http://www.intima.org/oppera/oips/rhizome/

Title: Vidopedia
Artist: Nadia Anderson and Fritz Donnelly
Description: A typical encyclopedia is the product of the editor's maniacal and obsessive interest in cataloging knowledge. A VIDOPEDIA grows from users' casual but intense interest in a particular activity. A user who explores "rolling" will be encouraged by VIDOPEDIA to upload video of a "stop, drop, and roll" or "rolling thunder" or "rolling a car".
www.vidopedia.com

Title: Terminal Air
Artist: Institute for Applied Autonomy and Trevor Paglen
Description: Terminal Air is an installation that attempts to envision the CIA office cum-travel agency in Langley, Virginia from which the Extraordinary Rendition Program--an initiative through which suspected terrorists captured in Western nations are transported to secret locations for torture and interrogation--is presumably coordinated. Represented on two large wall displays is a speculative visualization of the known movements of some 30 of these planes. The map on the left indicates the planes movements during the last 6 years. The screen on the right lists the 10 most recent flights. Periodically new information on a plane's whereabouts will arrive and will be indicated on the map display and by the ringing telephones. Please feel free to answer them.

Flight logs and inspiration have been provided by Trevor Paglen, author of 'Torture Taxi: On the trail of the CIA's rendition flights' (Melville House Publishing) and by Stephen Grey, author of 'Ghost Plane - the true story of the CIA torture program' (St Martin's Press), on his website, www.ghostplane.net

http://www.appliedautonomy.com/terminalair/index.html

Title: Pulse Pool
Artist: Andy Archinal, Sam Bleckley, Casey Coutney, Patrick Cunningham, Josua Gay, Brent Goddard, Jared Gomez, Tim Hunt, Justen Renyer and Matt Roman under the guidance of Professor Adam Brown and Dr. Andrew Fagg.
Description: Place a finger to your neck or wrist. Find your pulse. How does it alter your awareness of your body? Imagine if you could simultaneously see and experience another person's pulse the way you feel your own. Pulse Pool is a collaborative multimedia installation created by a group of students from the Symbiotic Computer Laboratory at the University of Oklahoma. The interconnected components of the Pulse Pool project explore how access to otherwise unavailable corporal information affects human interaction.

Small wearable computers measure visitors' heart rates and locations relative to a centrally-located pool. Droplets of water are released into the pool, synchronized with the individual beats. Where the drops fall into the pool is determined by the visitors' locations. An Internet connection and custom software allows real-time and archived transmission of this information to the global networked community. A downloadable applet allows any remote visitor to visualize the heart beats and locations of the local visitors. Spatially distributed pools share information through an array of small lights mounted at the bottom of the pool.
http://transition.turbulence.org/Works/PulsePool/

Title: When No One is Looking
Artist: Zach Lieberman
Description: This project presents a webpage designed to mimic an everyday, common website, but with a simple twist: when no one is interacting with the page for a certain amount of time, the elements on the site appear to come to life. Seemingly static elements start to bend and sway slightly, and all of the things on the page seem to breath a collective sigh of relief that they can finally move and live again. The result is a kind of absurd fantasy, envisioning what happens on websites when no one is looking. At the slightest sign of a viewer's presence, however, the objects sneak back into place, as precisely as they can, in order to mimic the original, still webpage.

This work is inspired by the Melies film from 1905, Les affiches en goguettes. The film begins with a worker attaching a poster to a wall full of advertisements. At first, as characters stroll on the street in front of the wall, nothing seems to happen. However, when nobody is present, the wall magically springs to life, and the figures inside the advertisements pop out, jumping across the frame, conversing and interacting with one another. When the street becomes populated again, these figures jump back into the wall, freeze, and become advertisement once more.
http://thesystemis.com/whenNoOneIsLooking/n/a

Title: Real Costs
Artist: Michael Mandiberg
Description: Real Costs is a Firefox plug-in that inserts emissions data into travel related e-commerce website. The first version adds CO2 emissions information to airplane ticket websites. It tells you how much carbon each flight will produce. Following versions will work with car directions, car rental, and shipping websites. Think of it like the nutritional information labeling on the back of food... except for emissions.

The objective of the Real Costs is to increase awareness of the environmental impact of certain day-to-day choices in the life of the Internet user. By presenting this environmental impact information in the place where decisions are being made, it will hopefully create an impact on the viewer, encourage a sense of individual agency, and provide a set of alternatives and immediate actions. In the process the user/viewer might even be transformed from passive consumer to engaged citizen.
http://therealcosts.com

Title: Torrent Raiders
Artist: Aaron Meyers and Corey Jackson
Description: Torrent Raiders is a dynamic network visualization realized through the idioms and aesthetics of arcade-style video games. Driven in real-time by the activity of bit torrent swarms, Torrent Raiders takes place on the ad-hoc networks created by bit torrent users. Torrent Raiders playfully addresses issues of domestic surveillance and intellectual property by putting players in the role of a mercenary copyright enforcer, encouraging them to capture evidence against peers on torrents in order to collect bounties. Players assist in the distributed surveillance of these torrent swarms, sending information to a central server where it will be used to drive further visualizations of this information. As a dynamic visualization exploring privacy, piracy and surveillance, Torrent Raiders challenges Internet users, content pirates and government spooks to examine their allegiances and mistrust their computer connections.

http://torrentraiders.com/

Title: White Glove Tracking
Tracking project (W.G.T.) is an effort to isolate just the white glove from this moment in pop-culture history. Rather then write unnecessarily complex code to find the glove in every frame of the video I am asking for the assistance of 10,060 individual internet users to simply click and drag a box around the glove in one frame. Working under the principal that useful data can be gathered by asking internet users to perform "...tasks that require human perception and common sense, but may not require a lot of scientific training." (~NASA) In the end this data will be shared freely for all to download, visualize, and use as an input into other digital systems.
http://whiteglovetracking.com/

Title: SLOWmail
Artist: slowLab (Carolyn Strauss and Julian Bleecker)
Description: SLOWmail is a new email service that deliberately slows down the pace of electronic messaging. It operates at the opposite end of the time-to-delivery spectrum from traditional email, offering a more reflective experience for both sender and recipient, and challenging forth more artful and meaningful correspondence. SLOWmail leverages social software practices and idioms- ontologies, semantic tagging, media sharing, presence awareness- seeking not to supplant other forms of electronic contact, but rather to complement them. As platforms like IM and SMS increase in popularity, SLOWmail explores the possibilities of less instantaneity and more calm in communication, creating a new rhythm of social interaction.
http://www.slowlab.net/slowmail.html

Title: RESUME I?
Artist: YOUNG-HAE CHANG HEAVY INDUSTRIES
http://www.yhchang.com/RESUME_I.html

Title: Paste
Artist: Marek Walczak and Martin Wattenberg
Description: Whatever is in your clipboard, something that's on your mind or just a distraction, you Paste. Paste keeps track of everyone's ctrl-V, option-V or middle-button press-- these routine actions combine into a single text stream. Paste collects both trivial and profound thoughts creating a continuous scroll. The minutia of collective consciousness forms a shared narrative. A narrative that reflects personal and public history - from the horrors of war to a recipe for mashed potatoes. When you enter the site, you paste whatever is in your clipboard. The very act of pasting makes visible a traditionally unseen layer of information. What you had there may sometimes surprise you, sometimes it could be quite deliberate.
http://paste.mw2mw.com/

Rhizome.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an affiliate of the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Rhizome Digest is supported by grants from The Charles Engelhard Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency.

Rhizome Digest is filtered by Marisa Olson (marisa AT rhizome.org). ISSN: 1525-9110. Volume 12, number 21. Article submissions to list AT rhizome.org are encouraged. Submissions should relate to the theme of new media art and be less than 1500 words. For information on advertising in Rhizome Digest, please contact info AT rhizome.org.