The Rhizome Digest merged into the Rhizome News in November 2008. These pages serve as an archive for 6-years worth of discussions and happenings from when the Digest was simply a plain-text, weekly email.

Subject: RHIZOME DIGEST: 6.13.07
From: digest@rhizome.org (RHIZOME)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:29:04 -0400
Sender: owner-digest@rhizome.org

RHIZOME DIGEST: June 13, 2007

Content:

+opportunity+
1. ana otero: CALL FOR PAPERS - FLOSS+Art
2. mar how: xxxxx workshop_15 Berlin: Electric Art Lab with Jeff Mann
3. ana otero: JOB OPPORTUNITY - Australian Network for Art and Technology
4. Gregory Trefry: CALL FOR PROPOSALS: Turn Amsterdam into a playground in the second annual Come Out & Play Festival
5. Anette Schäfer: CALL FOR PROJECTS - Do Billboards Dream of Electric Screens?

+announcement+
6. prouvost: Fresh Moves, New Moving Images from the UK. A tank.tv DVD. Available to Pre-Order Now.
7. Christiane Paul: Profiling - Whitney Museum, June 8 - Sept. 9
8. leif BRUSH: Sound in Art/Art in Sound ART DIALOGUE
9. Pamela Jennings: Speculative Data and the Creative Imaginary at the National Academy of Sciences
10. Finishing School: Kapital For Kids
11. Carlos Castellanos: SWITCH: Issue 23
12. Teresa Lopez: BLOG
13. Ryan Griffis: Fwd: Female Icons: It's Not The Gaze, But The Look...

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1.

From: ana otero <4anaotero AT gmail.com>
Date: Jun 6, 2007
Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS - FLOSS+Art

:: Call for Papers
:: FLOSS+Art
:: Deadline: September 15th 2007

- people.makeart is a new project by GOTO10. It is a repository of articles and lecture materials focused on the relationship between FLOSS (Free / Libre / Open Source Software) and digital arts, as well as a database of free digital art projects. The selected papers will be published on the people.makeart website and will be printed in the FLOSS+Art book, scheduled for spring 2008, using OpenMute's POD publishing service.

GOTO10 is now accepting new, old and recycled papers on the following issues: - opening digital art's practice, code and culture - FLOSS communities VS. art collectives - digital art licensing, copying and distributing, using open content models - role of the artist in FLOSS development - influence of FLOSS on digital art practices - free software to produce art and the art of producing free software - economy of an open digital artwork - FLOSS as an embedded political message in digital art - paradox and limitations of open licenses for digital art - FLOSS as a way to quote and embed other artworks in a new one - digital artist as a FLOSS developer/user and vice-versa - definitions and manifestos for a free software art - branching and forking of an open digital artwork - opening digital art to ensure future maintainance and porting.

Submission Procedures:

- Submit your final paper to pmafloss-at-goto10-dot-org
no later than September 15th, 2007. Include the text "FLOSS+Art"
followed by your paper's title in your e-mail subject line.
- Submit as many papers as you want, one mail submission for each.
- Accepted formats : plaintext, LaTeX, OpenDocument
No other file format will be accepted.
- The paper must be attached to the mail, do not send us links
- The submitted paper must be written in English
- Paper must be 1500 words minimum

More information: http://people.makeart.goto10.org/

The FLOSS+Art POD publishing is a collaboration between GOTO10 and the Digital Research Unit of the University of Huddersfield, with commissions and contributions from various organisations and institutions.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Organizational memberships with Rhizome

Sign your library, university or organization up for a Rhizome organizational membership! Give your community access to the largest online archives of digital art and new media art-related writing, the opportunity to organize member-curated exhibitions, participate in critical discussion, community boards, and learn about residency, educational and professional possibilities. Rhizome also offers subsidized memberships for qualifying institutions with limited access to the Internet. Please visit http://rhizome.org/info/org.php for more information or contact Ceci Moss at ceci AT rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2.

From: mar how <m AT 1010.co.uk>
Date: Jun 6, 2007
Subject: xxxxx workshop_15 Berlin: Electric Art Lab with Jeff Mann

16th June 2PM. Electric Art Lab with Jeff Mann

Our ancestors believed that ordinary objects could contain energies, spirits, intelligence, and the spark of life. Today, tens of billions of tiny electronic processors permeate our reality, embedded in phones, watches, appliances, toys, cars, factory equipment, and our entire technological infrastructure. In this lab/workshop, we'll look at the microcontroller - the basic element of this distributed network of intelligent objects. These "computers on a chip" are small, inexpensive, simple, and unlike their desktop/laptop cousins, are designed for interaction with the physical world. How can creative individuals use microcontrollers to produce evocative, compelling objects and experiences that go beyond typical mass-produced consumer products?

We'll look at examples and discuss how artists have incorporated embedded processors into sculpture, installation, and performance. We'll compare various microcontroller platforms and, using the open-source Arduino board, we'll experiment with building activated objects that include sensors, processing, and movement. We'll also look at using the microcontroller as a physical interface for audio/video environments like Pure Data, and for remote interaction over the Internet.

The workshop is designed for people of all levels of experience. No equipment is required, but it's recommended to bring as many of the following things as possible:

- Materials to modify, hack, and build objects with. Household items, battery-operated toys, plastic, wood, metal, anything you find interesting. Before the workshop, try to imagine two or three simple ideas you might try to make.

- Laptop with Arduino and Pd software installed.

- Toolbox with cutters, glue gun, screwdrivers, as well as soldering irons, multimeter, etc.

- Microcontrollers - a limited number of Arduino boards will be shared between the participants. You can also purchase your own before the workshop for 27 euros in Berlin at: http://www.segor.de/

- Sensors and Actuators - pushbuttons, photocells, rangefinders, accelerometers; DC, R/C servo, and stepper motors.

- Electronics parts and supplies - a selection of wire, connectors, resistors, capacitors, transistors, chips, and so on.

More details about tools and materials can be found at:
http://jeffmann.com/resources.html

About the instructor:

Jeff Mann creates electric art with computers, electronics, kinetics, and telecommunications media. His work explores the nature of technological life and its cultural representation; it draws out tensions between notions of utopian industrialism, personal theatre, and the evocative enigma of electronic equipment.

Course fee: 15 euros

//<-------------------------------------------------

Background:

A weekly series of constructivist workshops emphasising making and connection within the field of the existent.

Workshops led by field-expert practitioners extend over realms of code and embedded code, environmental code, noise, transmission and reception, and electromysticism. Workshops solely utilise free software and GNU toolbase.

Practitioners include Julian Oliver (http://selectparks.net/), Derek Holzer (http://soundtransit.nl), Jeff Mann (http://jeffmann.com), Martin Howse (http://1010.co.uk), Fredrik Olofsson (http://www.fredrikolofsson.com/), superfactory (http://superfactory.biz)

Further planned workshops will cover PD connectivity and hardware, ATmega8 microcontrollers, free software documentation, VLF reception, radio antenna design, FPGA design...

Please RSVP m AT 1010.co.uk to reserve any places or register interest. Please forward.

xxxxx, pickledfeet, Linienstrasse 54, Berlin 10119

U2, Rosa-Luxemburg-Pl.
U8, Rosenthaler Pl.Telephone: 3050187482.

http://1010.co.uk/workshop.html

http://1010.co.uk/xxxxx_research_institute.html

//------------------------------------------------->

http://xxxxx.1010.co.uk
http://1010.co.uk

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

3.

From: ana otero <4anaotero AT gmail.com>
Date: Jun 8, 2007
Subject: JOB OPPORTUNITY - Australian Network for Art and Technology

The Australian Network for Art and Technology is looking to employ a person to research sound art in Australia.

The ANAT Embracing Sound Project (esp) is intended to research and profile current Australian sound art over a one year period. The Sound Program Manager¹s role will be to research and profile current practice in sound art, this would include critical writing, participation and attendance of festivals, liaising between ANAT, funding bodies and the sound community.

You will be able to work independently and form and maintain national
networks. Your ability to write successful grant applications and engage
with sponsors will allow you to expand and continue the role. The role is open to people from all states and territories of Australia, but being able to readily connect with the sound community in Australia is key to the role's success.

Please download a job description from:
http://www.anat.org.au/vacancies/esp.pdf

More info:

Gavin Artz
manager AT anat.org.au

Australian Network for Art and Technology (ANAT) is supported by the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an initiative of the Australian, State and Territory Governments; the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body, and the South Australian Government through Arts SA.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

4.

From: Gregory Trefry <gtrefry AT iamtheeconomy.com>
Date: Jun 10, 2007
Subject: CALL FOR PROPOSALS: Turn Amsterdam into a playground in the second annual Come Out & Play Festival
TURN AMSTERDAM INTO A PLAYGROUND IN THE SECOND ANNUAL COME OUT & PLAY FESTIVAL, SEPTEMBER 22-23

THE MISSION

The Come Out & Play Festival seeks to provide a forum for new types of public games and play. We want to bring together a public eager to rediscover the world around them through play with designers interested in producing innovative new games and experiences.

Oh yeah, and we want to have city-size fun.

ABOUT THE FESTIVAL

The festival offers a chance to explore new styles of games and play. Last year the festival featured games from the creators of I Love Bees, PacManhattan, The Go Game, Conqwest, Big Urban Game and more. From massive multi-player scavenger hunts to public play performances, the festival gives players and the public the chance to take part in a variety of different games. We are extremely excited to announce that Come Out & Play will be landing in Amsterdam, Netherlands this September for a two day festival. In collaboration with the PICNIC'07 cross media week, Come Out & Play will be running a two-day mini-festival in Amsterdam this September.

Come rediscover the city around you through play.

The Come Out & Play Festival 2007 will take place September 22-23, 2007 in Amsterdam. Games will occur throughout the day in locations around the city. The full festival schedule will be made available in August.

For more information visit:
http://www.comeoutandplay.org

SUBMIT TO THE FESTIVAL

Have you got a game? We want to include as many different types of games as possible in the festival schedule.

We are looking specifically for games with defined goals and interesting, meaningful choices for the players. These games should be interactive and directly engage the participants. Your game can have a technology component or it can be old school with absolutely no tech; to us, it's much more important that the game produce an interesting experience for the players. We will be reviewing submissions focusing on these criteria when we select games for the schedule:

Most importantly, your game must be playable in Amsterdam during the festival.

Your submission will be reviewed by a panel of street game "experts" brought together to assemble the lineup for this most sacred event. Okay, we are actually a bunch of yahoos. But we have run a few games and we really like playing in fun ones. So make sure your game sounds fun and interesting. We like innovative use of public space. We like games which make people interact in new ways. We like games that alter your perception of your surroundings. But most importantly, we just want the players to have fun.

APPLICATION :: To apply, visit www.comeoutandplay.org and download the application form.
Download directly at: http://www.comeoutandplay.org/submissions/COAP07AmsterdamSubmission.doc

SUBMISSION DEADLINE :: July 15, 2007

NOTIFICATION :: We will notify you by e-mail if your game has been accepted into the festival schedule by July 31, 2007..

We look forward to reading your proposal.

SCHEDULE

- Submission deadline: July 15
- Notifications: July 31
- Festival: September 22-23

INQUIRIES?

Email us at info AT comeoutandplay.org

PLAY or VOLUNTEER

Don't have a game, but still want to play or be involved? Visit comeoutandplay.org to sign up for alerts about the festival.

URL

http://www.comeoutandplay.org
http://www.picnicnetwork.org/

WHAT ABOUT NEW YORK?!

The Come Out & Play Festival will return to New York City in the Spring of 2008 for more city-sized fun.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org 2006-2007 Net Art Commissions

The Rhizome Commissioning Program makes financial support available to artists for the creation of innovative new media art work via panel-awarded commissions.

For the 2006-2007 Rhizome Commissions, eleven artists/groups were selected to create original works of net art.

http://rhizome.org/commissions/

The Rhizome Commissions Program is made possible by support from the Jerome Foundation in celebration of the Jerome Hill Centennial, the Greenwall Foundation, the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support has been provided by members of the Rhizome community.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

5.

From: Anette Schäfer <anette AT trampoline-berlin.de>
Date: Jun 13, 2007
Subject: CALL FOR PROJECTS - Do Billboards Dream of Electric Screens?

CALL FOR PROJECTS

Do Billboards Dream of Electric Screens?

Trampoline and partners are calling for short, sharp and silent video works by artists working in film and new media to be shown on three outdoors screens across the East Midlands.

This programme of up to 10 works will be launched in late September 2007 for public screening on the new projection screen of the Royal Centre, Nottingham, the Derby Big Screen in Derby's Market Place and a temporary screen erected on the facade of the Phoenix Arts Centre in Leicester.

In the East Midlands, we are at the beginning of a new era where the trend for large public display screens in city centres has arrived, offering, amongst other things, valuable opportunities for disseminating artistic content in urban space. These electronic spaces offer potential alternatives to a visually overloaded urban horizon that has been hitherto dedicated to advertising graphics.

At this stage in their evolution, urban screens are still accessible for experimentation and represent a medium that has the potential for unique interactions with audiences and for networking across great distances.

Do Billboards Dream of Electric Screens? marks the beginning of a very contemporary exhibition space for the moving image, reaching audiences typically measuring thousands every day.

Do Billboards Dream of Electric Screens? also marks the first Trampoline run up event to the 4th Radiator Festival at the end of Nov 2007.

It is envisaged the programme will receive a repeat screening during the festival and tour throughout the UK and beyond in 2008.

Project partners:
Trampoline / Radiator Festival
Royal Centre, Nottingham
Phoenix, Leicester
Quad, Derby
BBC Public Space Broadcasting

Do Billboards Dream of Electric Screens? is funded by:
Three Cities Create and Connect
European Regional Development Fund
Arts Council England

SUBMITTING YOUR WORK

Please download the application form
www.trampoline.org.uk/Applicationform.doc
<http://www.trampoline.org.uk/Applicationform.doc>

Pieces must be:

* suitable for large, public screening
* effective without sound
* up to 60 seconds in length (exceptions possible if appropriate)

Technical requirements:

Submissions to be made:
* as standard definition DVD or VHS
* as a file on CD (SWF, Quicktime or Avi accepted – use standard
codecs such as Sorenson, Cinepak or DivX). Any file that cannot be viewed
using standard media players will be passed over.

Selected films to be presented
* as uncompressed Quicktime on disk OR miniDV tape
* as PAL, 720 x 576, 16:9 (works presented as 4:3 will be bordered
with black)

Deadline for submissions:
* Wed 4th of July

Please send entries to:

Trampoline
Electric Screens
c/o Broadway
14-18 Broad St
Nottingham
NG1 3AL

For further information, please go to

http://www.trampoline.org.uk <http://www.trampoline.org.uk/>

http://www.radiator-festival.org <http://www.radiator-festival.org/>

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

6.

From: prouvost <laure AT tank.tv>
Date: Jun 7, 2007
Subject: Fresh Moves, New Moving Images from the UK. A tank.tv DVD. Available to Pre-Order Now.

tank.tv

Fresh Moves
New Moving Images From The UK
a DVD of film and video art by tank.tv

Launch of the DVD at the ICA, London, 28/06/07 7pm. Tickets Available now.

The appearance of Fresh Moves is a unique event making artists' moving images, some of which are rarely seen, available beyond the conventional context of art exhibitions and fleeting lives online. The project is the result of tank.tv's continuous collaboration and exchange with artists, institutions and independent curators which has made it the inimitable platform for moving image practice that it is today.

Showcasing new moving image work since 2003, tank.tv presents its first DVD anthology. This collection contains 24 film and video pieces by 24 UK based artists, each around three minutes long, and reflects the creativity, innovation and wide variety of subject matter for which www.tank.tv has become known and respected. It also includes five new, specially commissioned interviews pieces between feted curators and artists.

Fresh Moves was compiled by a panel that included Hans Ulrich Obrist, director of the Serpentine Gallery, and Stuart Comer, curator of film and video at Tate Modern. Turner Prize winner Jeremy Deller and infamous philosopher Slavoj Žižek both make an appearance in the series of interviews.

The DVD features recent work from some of the most important artists working in moving images today, such as Cerith Wyn Evans, Daria Martin, Runa Islam, Spartacus Chetwynd and Andrew Kotting, as well as emerging artists like Torsten Lauschmann, Anja M. Kirschner and David Blandy. Rather than a comprehensive overview, Fresh Moves aims to provide an anthology encompassing animation, fictional narrative, digital film, montage and installation-based film work. The works explore a wide variety of subjects - from politics to identity and aesthetic practices, all tempered with a healthy measure of humour - and so celebrate not just the artists featured, but the art of moving images as a whole.

"...this special project addresses the idea of carrying video and filmic work beyond the boundaries of contextually, or spatially, confined spaces pertaining to where a work can be seen. [...] It furthers the investigation into how different modes of filmmaking evolve within the changing consciousness of the public media [...] a sort of polyphony of voices, stories and philosophies. [The project] ...produced an investigation into a new generation of artists working in the UK. [...] Eric Hobsbawm, the great English historian speaks of the very necessary and urgent need for our hyper-paced culture to issue a 'protest against forgetting'."
Hans Ulrich Obrist

ARTISTS: David Blandy, Ben Callaway, Duncan Campbell, Ergin Çavuşoğlu, Spartacus Chetwynd, Kate Cooper, Ann Course, Katy Dove, Max Hattler, Runa Islam, Kevin Heavey, Anja M. Kirschner, Zineb Sedira, Andrew Kötting, Torsten Lauschmann, Daria Martin, Alexander Heim, Ben Rivers, Samuel Stevens, Stephen Sutcliffe, Mark Aerial Waller, Saskia Olde Wolbers, John Wood & Paul Harrison, Cerith Wyn Evans

INTERVIEWS: Steven Eastwood with Benjamin Cook, Jeremy Deller with Chrissie Iles, Ryan Gander with Hans Ulrich Obrist, Laure Prouvost with Michael Connor, Sophie Fiennes with Slavoj Žižek.

The compilation was selected by: Hans Ulrich Obrist (the Serpentine Gallery), Benjamin Cook and Mike Sperlinger (LUX), Stuart Comer (Tate Modern), Michelle Cotton (Independent Curator, London), Rose Cupit (Film London), and Kathrin Becker (NBK, Berlin).

A project by: Laure Prouvost and Birgit Ludwig

Fresh Moves: New Moving Images From the UK
ISBN: 978-0-9555181-0-2
Price: £19.99
Paperback
150 x 180 mm portrait
300 pages / content printed on 81 colour pages
PAL DVD / Region 0 / running time 87 min
Edition of 3000
Published by Tank Form Ltd
Design: Tank
Distributed by Thames & Hudson.
Release Date: June 2007

www.tank.tv
www.tank.tv/press.html

" Artist's moving image work is blossoming in London and the Arts Council is delighted to be supporting tank.tv and its partnership with Thames & Hudson in its distribution of exciting work through this DVD project."
Sarah Weir, Executive Director, Arts Council England, London.

none Fresh Moves will be launched at the ICA, London
on the 28th June 2007 at 7pm.
Book now!

Pre-Order your copy of Fresh Moves:
http://www.tank.tv/freshmoves.htm

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Support Rhizome: buy a hosting plan from BroadSpire

http://rhizome.org/hosting/

Reliable, robust hosting plans from $65 per year.

Purchasing hosting from BroadSpire contributes directly to Rhizome's fiscal well-being, so think about about the new Bundle pack, or any other plan, today!

About BroadSpire

BroadSpire is a mid-size commercial web hosting provider. After conducting a thorough review of the web hosting industry, we selected BroadSpire as our partner because they offer the right combination of affordable plans (prices start at $14.95 per month), dependable customer support, and a full range of services. We have been working with BroadSpire since June 2002, and have been very impressed with the quality of their service.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

7.

From: Christiane Paul <Christiane_Paul AT whitney.org>
Date: Jun 7, 2007
Subject: Profiling - Whitney Museum, June 8 - Sept. 9

Profiling
Whitney Museum of American Art
945 Madison Ave.
New York, NY 10021

June 8 - September 9
Lobby Gallery / Lobby

Two public art installations that explore the use of automated systems for "profiling" people comprise Profiling, an exhibition that begins on June 8 and runs through September 9, 2007, at the Whitney Museum of American Art. Addressing issues surrounding surveillance, protection, privacy, and identity, the exhibition is organized by Christiane Paul, the Whitney’s adjunct curator of new media arts.

The connection between surveillance and entertainment is at the core of SVEN - Surveillance Video Entertainment Network (2006-present), by Amy Alexander, Wojciech Kosma, Vincent Rabaud, Jesse Gilbert, and Nikhil Rasiwasia. SVEN humorously subverts the use of surveillance technologies ordinarily directed at profiling "suspicious subjects." This project asks the question, “If computer vision technology can be used to detect terrorists, criminals, or other undesirables, why can’t it spot rock stars as well?” SVEN tracks visitors, detecting their characteristics, and analyzing their "rock star potential." The resulting video and audio are displayed on monitors, interrupting the standard security camera display each time a potential rock star is detected. The idea is to examine and demystify concerns about surveillance and computer systems not in terms of being watched, but in terms of how the watching is being done -- and how else it might be done if other people were !
at the wheel.

David Rokeby's surveillance installation Taken (2002) provides two readings of the activities in the museum: a continuously accumulating history of movements of visitors that is both a statistical plot of gallery activities and a record of each act of each visitor; and a "catalog" of visitors' head shots with classifying adjectives randomly attributed to them (i.e. 'unsuspecting', 'complicit', 'hungry'). Taken addresses the increasing use of automated systems for profiling people as part of the "war on terrorism" and was conceived as an attempt to help ask questions about appropriate uses of technology.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

8.

From: leif BRUSH <lbrush AT d.umn.edu>
Date: Jun 8, 2007
Subject: Sound in Art/Art in Sound ART DIALOGUE

MMAA's New Exhibition
Sound in Art/Art in Sound
ART DIALOGUE
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
7 pm on the patio
FREE
Join exhibition artists Shawn Decker, Mike Hallenbeck and Abinadi Meza for a discussion of the challenges of working with sound as an art medium and today's trends in art and sound technology. Exhibition curator Theresa Downing will moderate. Also, hear an experimental sound performance by composer Noah Keesecker on his mbira and laptop following the discussion. The night will end with a reception on the patio and complimentary refreshments.
Leif Brush will be absent because his wife is recuperating from a knee operation.

Exhibition on view through:
July 1, 2007
Sound in Art/Art in Sound presents an auditory exploration of the power and nuance of sound. The artwork is comprised of both sound art pieces and visual art which incorporates sound as a critical element, and ranges from sound art, digital projection, and sculpture to interactive works.

Artists in the exhibition include J. Anthony Allen, Christopher Baker, Leif Brush, Cheryl Wilgren Clyne, Shawn Decker, Matthew Garrison, Mike Hallenbeck, Helena Keeffe, Abinadi Meza, Jack Pavlik, and Anne Wallace.

Admission to the exhibition is free.
For more information, visit www.mmaa.org or call 651.266.1037

Thank you for supporting the Minnesota Museum of American Art!

Patio Night - Opening Night
Savage Aural Hotbed
Thursday, June 7, 2007
7-10pm
$7/$5 MMAA or IPR Members

Savage Aural Hotbed creates their compelling sound using conventional and "found object" percussion instruments, bass guitar, electronically modified horns and vocals, and power tools. With up to four people drumming, they provide visual, as well as aural excitement with their high energy rhythms, flailing arms, and flying sparks.

The precise, percussive sound of Savage Aural Hotbed is inspired by many influences, most notably Japanese Taiko drumming, and the cutting-edge (sometimes literally, they use saws and grinders on stage) innovation of Industrial. Other influences include diverse styles such as modern minimalist, and many ethnic styles.

Mark Your Calendar
• Thursday, July 19 In Her Own Right: Minnesota's First Generation of Women Artists Opening Night Party and Patio Night, featuring Desdamona and Molly Dean - $7/$5 MMAA and IPR Members

Tuesday 11am-4pm
Wednesday 11am-4pm
Thursday 11am-8pm
Friday 11am-4pm
Saturday 11am-4pm
Sunday 1pm-5pm

The Minnesota Museum of American Art is located at Kellogg Blvd. and Market St. in downtown St. Paul.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

9.

From: Pamela Jennings <pamelaj AT cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Jun 9, 2007
Subject: Speculative Data and the Creative Imaginary at the National Academy of Sciences

Speculative Data and the Creative Imaginary:
Shared Visions between Art and Technology

June 4 - August 24, 2007

National Academy of Sciences Rotunda Gallery
2100 C Street N.W., Washington D.C.

Curator: Pamela Jennings

Opening Event: Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Exhibition Viewing 6:00-8:00 PM
Performance and ACM Creativity and Cognition Opening Panel 8:00 – 9:00 PM
Performance by Roger Dannenberg
Panel Discussion “Bridging Art and Science with Creativity Support Tools” with Rita Colwell (University of Maryland), Sara Diamond (Ontario College of Art and Design), Paul Greenhalgh (Corcoran Gallery of Art), and Dr. William Wulf (National Academy of Engineering)

Complementing the ACM Creativity and Cognition Conference themes: cultivating creative minds; sustaining creative communities; and promoting creative engagement, the works in this exhibition illustrate the breadth of creative digital media that impact interdisciplinary practices across the arts, science and technology research. This exhibition features interactive computer installations, large format digital prints, and wearable technology, representing a confluence of technology research and creativity that include the visual arts, design, architecture, performance, science, technology and engineering. The exhibited works share a common trajectory of exploring speculative inquiries, imaginary scenarios and real-time phenomenon from outer space to cyberspace; multi-dimensional space to urban space; public space to virtually embodied space; ecological space to social space.

This exhibition is dedicated to outgoing National Academy of Engineering President William A. Wulf, in recognition of his many years of support for the arts program at the National Academies in Washington D.C. Contributors to this exhibition include: Nell Breyer, Sheldon Brown, Donna Cox, Roger Dannenberg (opening night), Ernest Edmonds, Tiffany Holmes, Pamela Jennings, Greg Judelman and Maria Lantin, George Legrady, Marcos Novak, Sabrina Raaf, Bill Seaman, Thecla Schiphorst, Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau, and Martin Wattenberg.

Special Presentation Event at the National Academy of Sciences Gallery Auditorium Thursday, July 12, 2007

Film Screening of “Robert Rauschenberg’s - Open Score” with special Introduction by producer Julie Martin
Reception: 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Film Screening: 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM

In 1966, 10 New York artists worked with 30 engineers and scientists from the Bell Telephone Laboratories to create groundbreaking performances that incorporated new technology. They used video projection, wireless sound transmission, and Doppler sonar -- technologies that are commonplace today but that had never been seen in the art of the 1960s. Julie Martin, producer of the “9 Evenings” DVD series, will discuss the film series as well as the 1966 event that was the first large-scale collaboration between artists, engineers, and scientists. Open Score is co-produced by E.A.T. and ARTPIX and distributed by Microcinema International.

For more information about the 2007 ACM Creativity and Cognition Conference: http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/CC2007/

For more information about the exhibition and catalog:
http://www.nationalacademies.org/arts/Speculative_Data_and_the_Creative_Imaginary.html

Press Contact: Alana Quinn, Outreach Manager, Office of Exhibitions and Cultural Programs, National Academy of Sciences (202)-334-2415 aquinn AT nas.edu
Public Contact: arts AT nas.edu (202) 334-2436

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

10.

From: Finishing School <edgiardina AT yahoo.com>
Date: Jun 10, 2007
Subject: Kapital For Kids

Share it with your kids and kids at heart!

Kapital For Kids
Finishing School with Jason Plapp and Joel Heflin

Kapital for Kids is an online game environment for children and their parents parodying the various relationships between children's media entertainment, education, and capitalism.

http://www.kapitalforkids.net

enjoy,

fs

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

11.

From: Carlos Castellanos <carlos AT ccastellanos.com>
Date: Jun 11, 2007
Subject: SWITCH: Issue 23

SWITCH : The online New Media Art Journal of the CADRE Laboratory for New Media at San Jose State University

http://switch.sjsu.edu
switch AT cadre.sjsu.edu

SWITCH, The online New Media Art Journal of the CADRE Laboratory for New Media at San Jose State University is pleased to announce the launch of Issue 23: FUNCTION // BORDER // DYSFUNCTION.

After a brief hiatus, the new issue of Switch has emerged. After 2 solid years of work leading up to ISEA2006 and the ZeroOne Festival, CADRE and SWITCH have been considering new agendas, strategies and opportunities. Over the last several months, the CADRE Laboratory has engaged in a diverse set of activities. We have explored issues such as failure (its lessons and its utility), borders (real/virtual, body/ technology, open/closed), and in what direction "new" media may be going. Issue 23 highlights the diversity of these activities, which we have grouped under the rubric of "Function / Border / Dysfunction". Among other things, we have interviews with Michael Joaquin Grey, Saskia Sassen and Lu Jie. Cultural theorist/art historian Dore Bowen explores "The Function of Dysfunction" in her article on Fluxus event scores. The CADRE Lab introduces its Speaker Salon Series, it's new artist residency with the Montalvo Arts Center and it's collaboration with Ars Virtua in sponsoring the Borders conference in Second Life.

About SWITCH

SWITCH is the new media art journal of the CADRE Laboratory for New Media of the School of Art and Design at San Jose State University. It has been published on the Web since 1995. SWITCH is interested in fostering a critical viewpoint on issues and developments in the multiple crossovers between art and technology. Its main focus in on questioning and analyzing, as well as reporting and discussing these new art forms as they develop, in hopes of encouraging dialogue and possible collaboration with others who are working and considering similar issues. SWITCH aims to critically evaluate developments in art and technology in order to contribute to the formation of alternative viewpoints with the intention of expanding the arena in which new art and technology emerge. SWITCH is overseen by CADRE faculty Joel Slayton and Rachel Beth Egenhoefer.

Thanks,
Carlos Castellanos
SWITCH
Managing Editor

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

12.

From: Teresa Lopez <zepolt AT yahoo.com>
Date: Jun 11, 2007
Subject: BLOG

BLOG- Collective Exhibition On WebLog Narratives
Galería Candela - 110 San Sebastián, Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
Opening – June 21, 2007 from 7:00pm
Contact: 787-246-0333/787-685-6512 (Mariel Álvarez)
www.repuesto.wetpaint.com
www.galeriacandela.com

BLOG is a collective exhibition where narrative is reinterpreted. Twenty artists take part in the creation of pieces that allude to the statement of a list of events like in a logbook.

On June 21 2007 from 7:00pm Galería Candela, Old San Juan, will be BLOG's stage. Local and international artists have decided to present videos, images, photography, installations and literary pieces where some of these depend on the direct interaction with the spectator.

BLOG is curated by REPUESTO and Kristine Serviá. It’s one a series of eight exhibitions that will be appearing in Galería Candela during the months of June to September. The electronic log is analyzed as an alternate way of communication where an author presents ideas, some of them miscellaneous, which accept commentaries of its recipients turning them into parallel protagonists or authors to the original one.

In this manifestation there are arguments on consumption and subversion, writing systems and narrative modalities. Likewise temporality, association and technology are reinterpreted. The works study and promote the critical analysis on environmental or social modals. This bears in mind notions from fundamental authors on semiotics such as Peirce and Greimas about the relation among known object and the subject that interprets it.

Kristine Serviá, Nicole Rodríguez, Fernando Pintado, Rosemarie Perea, José Tomás, Jomi, Omar Obdulio Peña Forti, Javier Nicolau-Lopez, Jacob Morales, Jason Mena, Matt Hanner (Chicago) and W&N are some of the twenty artists who play with narrative in their works. These alter chronology’s order placing causality as basic figure.

Works like “Album”, by Nora Maite Nieves, play with reality’s relativity. Luis M. Rodríguez manipulates codification systems taking the Inca’s Kipu as an example, while Zoraida López documents the processes in a bread factory. Jennifer Shmidt (Boston) reveals her posters with which she explores diverse dichotomies related to the identity.

Michelle Miner shows photos that possess conversations of different blogs. Miguel A. Torress dismantles perceptions creating objects with didactic traditional modals and Teresa López exhibits a series of photographs that present a paradox between exotic bird colonies and humans. On his work Terence Hannum (Chicago) shows a work on the culture and experimental musical scene.

REPUESTO is a project, originated by W&N, for the development of investigation and artistic production which name suggests the substitution of spaces and a traditional media for new and different alternatives. It summons for the autonomic affirmation of every artist, liberating him or her of habitual situations by which could be limited.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

13.

From: Ryan Griffis <ryan.griffis AT gmail.com>
Date: Jun 13, 2007
Subject: Fwd: Female Icons: It's Not The Gaze, But The Look...

Begin forwarded message:

> FEMALE ICONS: IT'S NOT THE GAZE, BUT THE LOOK...
>

> As a part of the Living Room Lecture Series, De Geuzen welcomes
> author Alison Norrington.
> The event will be streamed live from Rotterdam at http://
> www.geuzen.org/female_icons
>
> FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2007 AT 15:00
>
> (calculate the time for your own region http://
> www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc)
>
> For the Female Icons series, Norrington will be lecturing about her
> own experiences in the world of Chick Lit, a rapidly expanding
> genre of women’s contemporary fiction. Talking about some of the
> characters in her novels, she will discuss the possibilities and
> restraints of the genre as a whole.
>
> Norrington's lecture is a part of De Geuzen's Living Room Lectures,
> a series of talks hosted in our respective homes.
>
> Alison Norrington is the author of Class Act, Look Before You Leap
> and Three of A Kind. She has written articles for The Irish Star,
> Irish Tatler and Evening Herald. She is also a regular contributer
> to Women's Way.
>
> For more information on Alison Norrington see:
>
> • Alison Norrington’s site http://www.alisonnorrington.com
> • Alison Norrington on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Alison_Norrington
>
> For background reading on Chick Lit visit:
>
> • Chick Lit defined by wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_lit
> • Chick Lit Author Rountable http://www.authorsontheweb.com/
> features/0402-chicklit/chicklit.asp
> • Step into the shoes of a chick-lit author http://
> living.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1753802006
>
> De Geuzen's Living Room Lectures are part of the Female Icons
> series. http://www.geuzen.org/female_icons/index.php?page_id=234

Rhizome.org is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and an affiliate of the New Museum of Contemporary Art.

Rhizome Digest is supported by grants from The Charles Engelhard Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency.

Rhizome Digest is filtered by Marisa Olson (marisa AT rhizome.org). ISSN: 1525-9110. Volume 12, number 23. Article submissions to list AT rhizome.org are encouraged. Submissions should relate to the theme of new media art and be less than 1500 words. For information on advertising in Rhizome Digest, please contact info AT rhizome.org.