The Rhizome Digest merged into the Rhizome News in November 2008. These pages serve as an archive for 6-years worth of discussions and happenings from when the Digest was simply a plain-text, weekly email.

Subject: RHIZOME DIGEST: 03.03.06
From: digest@rhizome.org (RHIZOME)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:59:47 -0800
Sender: owner-digest@rhizome.org

RHIZOME DIGEST: March 03, 2006

++ Always online at http://rhizome.org/digest ++

Content:

+note+
1. Francis Hwang: Signing off

+opportunity+
2. kristina maskarin: International competition for Cyber Arts 2006
3. Marisa Olson: opp: NY solo show (& Visa) for non-US artist
4. Don Sinclair: New Media and Performance Studies positions
5. Julian Bleecker: ACC Postdocs and Visiting Researcher Fellowship,
April 30 2006 Deadline

+announcement+
6. Greg Smith: announcing vague terrain 02:digital landscape
7. Turbulence.org: urbulence Commission: "Peripheral n°2: KEYBOARD" by
Marika Dermineur

+Commissioned by Rhizome.org+
8. Jonah Brucker-Cohen: Report from ARS AT ARCO

+thread+
9. Brett Stalbaum, Geert Dekkers, Myron Turner, curt cloninger, Myron
Turner, Rob Myers, Eric Dymond, Dirk Vekemans: An Interpretive Framework
for Contemporary Database Practice in the Arts

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome is now offering Organizational Subscriptions, group memberships
that can be purchased at the institutional level. These subscriptions
allow participants at institutions to access Rhizome's services without
having to purchase individual memberships. For a discounted rate, students
or faculty at universities or visitors to art centers can have access to
Rhizome?s archives of art and text as well as guides and educational tools
to make navigation of this content easy. Rhizome is also offering
subsidized Organizational Subscriptions to qualifying institutions in poor
or excluded communities. Please visit http://rhizome.org/info/org.php for
more information or contact Lauren Cornell at LaurenCornell AT Rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

1.

From: Francis Hwang <francis AT rhizome.org>
Date: Mar 3, 2006
Subject: Signing off

Hi everyone,

Today is officially my last day at Rhizome, so I wanted to send out a
quick note and officially bid farewell. Actually, this isn't so much a
farewell, since I'll still be around, just as another member. The only
difference, really, will be that you will all have to put up with my
miscellaneous ramblings, without the benefit of me actually writing code
for you. ("Oh, great", I can hear some of you thinking.)

Patrick May has been in the office since February, and the transition has
gone better than I could've hoped. He'll be in touch with y'all soon, but
let me just say that he's hit the ground running and already has a batch
of fresh new ideas to improve the user experience at Rhizome.

Patrick, Lauren, and Marisa make a phenomenal team, and it's going to be a
kick to stand back and watch where they take Rhizome in the future. I'm
happy to be moving on, but I have to admit I will miss working with and
for the other folks on staff.

I will also miss working with the Rhizome community, many of whom I've had
the privilege of getting to know well over the last three-and-a-half
years. I've enjoyed having so many people to learn from as the field has
continued to grow. And although some of our discussion about Rhizome
policy has been, mm, how you say, contentious, I always kept in mind that
it is mostly driven by the desire to see Rhizome, and the entire field of
new media arts, succeed. Without its opinionated users, Rhizome wouldn't
be what it is today, so thanks to all of you.

As for my plans in the near future: Still unfixed, and right this minute I
suppose I like it that way. I'm actually going to be vacationing a bit
next month, with old friends to visit in Barcelona, a friend's wedding in
Minneapolis, and then quality time with my family in Washington State.
After that, who's to say? I'll be sure to keep y'all posted, in between
posting here about hallucinogenics and XML and everything in between.

Thanks, everyone. And keep in touch,

Francis Hwang
ex-Director of Technology
Rhizome.org

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

2.

From: kristina maskarin <kristina_tina AT yahoo.com>
Date: Feb 26, 2006
Subject: International competition for Cyber Arts 2006

Prix Ars Electronica - International competition for CyberArts 2006

Submissions deadline March 17, 2006.

Categories:
- Computeranimation / Visual Effects
- Digital Musics
- Interactive Art
- Net Vision
- Digital Communities
- [the next idea]

Main website for online submitions & furtther details:
http://www.aec.at/en/index.asp

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Support Rhizome: buy a hosting plan from BroadSpire

http://rhizome.org/hosting/

Reliable, robust hosting plans from $65 per year.

Purchasing hosting from BroadSpire contributes directly to Rhizome's
fiscal well-being, so think about about the new Bundle pack, or any other
plan, today!

About BroadSpire

BroadSpire is a mid-size commercial web hosting provider. After conducting
a thorough review of the web hosting industry, we selected BroadSpire as
our partner because they offer the right combination of affordable plans
(prices start at $14.95 per month), dependable customer support, and a
full range of services. We have been working with BroadSpire since June
2002, and have been very impressed with the quality of their service.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

3.

From: Marisa Olson <marisa AT rhizome.org>
Date: Feb 27, 2006
Subject: opp: NY solo show (& Visa) for non-US artist

From: Sixten Kai Nielsen <sixten AT wooloo.org>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wooloo Productions and White Box present AsylumNYC: an opportunity for
non-US artists to exhibit and live in New York City. AsylumNYC will
provide a talented artist with both a solo show at a recognized New York
institution and the legal aid necessary to obtain an artists visa in the
United States of America.

Location:
White Box
525 West 26th Street (between 10th and 11th Avenues)
New York, New York 10001

Date:
April 24, 2006, 8PM ? April 29, 2006

All interested artists are encouraged to apply before April 1, 2006 at:
www.AsylumNYC.com

CREATIVE ASYLUM IN NEW YORK CITY
Based on the concept under exploration by Wooloo Productions in
AsylumHOME.net, which addresses the difficulties faced by asylum seekers
in Europe, AsylumNYC targets the challenge faced by artists interested in
working in the United States.

After an online application process, White Box?s gallery space will become
a creative asylum where successful applicants will be invited to develop a
work/project from April 24 to April 29, 2006. Projects must actively
challenge a regime(s) of exclusion in New York by including otherwise
excluded individuals from cultural, economic or physical structures in the
City.

Once an artist?s project is selected, AsylumNYC will provide a free lawyer
to try to obtain a O- artist visa. If successful, the artist will be
awarded the opportunity to stay in New York for three years.

February 8, 2006 marks the launch of the www.AsylumNYC.com where
interested artists may apply until the April 1 deadline. To apply for
asylum, artists must be able to be present at White Box, 525 West 26th
Street (between 10th and 11th Avenues), New York, New York 10001 on April
24th, 2006 at 8 PM and STAY until 6:00pm on April 29th, 2006. While
staying at White Box, the artists will be provided with lodging and food,
but cannot leave the premises for the duration of the week.

ABOUT
Wooloo Productions is a provider of public and experimental spaces. Acting
on the level of facilitation, every Wooloo production aims to encourage
new forms of interaction and agency among members of diverse communities.

AsylumNYC is produced and organized by Wooloo Productions
(http://www.wooloo.org) in close collaboration with White Box
(http://www.whiteboxny.org) and the Franklin Furnace Archive
(http://www.franklinfurnace.org) in New York.

For more information, please email Martin Rosengaard, Media Manager:
Martin AT wooloo.org or call: +49 (0) 30 6676 3097

Please visit http://www.AsylumNYC.com for all project details.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

4.

From: Don Sinclair <dws AT yorku.ca>
Date: Mar 1, 2006
Subject: New Media and Performance Studies positions

Full Time Tenure Stream - Assistant Professor - New Media
Fine Arts Cultural Studies, Faculty of Fine Arts, York University
Toronto, Canada.

Deadline: March 29, 2006
Start Date: July 1, 2006

The Fine Arts Cultural Studies program, Faculty of Fine Arts, York
University invites applications for a tenure-track appointment at the
Assistant Professor level in New Media, to commence July 1, 2006. We seek
applicants who are engaged with new media arts and who are eager to teach
at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

The successful candidate will be a creative producer-researcher in new
media arts with a strong background in new media theory and/or cultural
studies. He/she will have a terminal degree, a PhD and/or an MFA.
Applicants must be suitable for prompt appointment to the graduate
Faculty. Candidates must demonstrate excellence in teaching as well as a
recognized record of accomplishments in their field. The candidate will
contribute to the expansion of the new media stream in the program and be
required to teach new media studio and studies courses.

Full Time Tenure Stream - Assistant Professor - Performance Studies
Fine Arts Cultural Studies, Faculty of Fine Arts, York University
Toronto, Canada.

Deadline: March 29, 2006
Start Date: July 1, 2006

The Fine Arts Cultural Studies program, Faculty of Fine Arts, York
University invites applications for a tenure-track appointment at the
Assistant Professor level in Performance Studies, to commence July 1,
2006. The program seeks applicants who are engaged with performance in the
broadest sense and who are eager to teach at both the undergraduate and
graduate levels.

Applicants will have the ability to contextualize performance as an
activity that transcends disciplines and to consider it in view of the
concerns of cultural studies. In addition, a strong background in the arts
and knowledge of the methodologies of interdisciplinarity are required for
appointment to this program.

Applicants must have a PhD, a recognized record of research in performance
studies, and be able to demonstrate excellence in teaching. Experience
teaching large lecture classes as well as seminar courses will be an
asset. Applicants must be suitable for prompt appointment to the graduate
Faculty.

The Fine Arts Cultural Studies Program (FACS) considers the fine,
performing and new media arts and offers a unique opportunity to explore
them from various interdisciplinary perspectives. Courses consider
relationships between the arts, the artistic forms which may emerge when
boundaries are blurred, and the place of the arts in both local and global
contexts. Within the Faculty of Fine Arts, FACS provides an integrated
approach to the study of the arts in culture through a balanced curriculum
of Western and non-Western content.

York University is an Affirmative Action Employer. The Affirmative Action
Program can be found on York's website at
http://www.yorku.ca/acadjobs or a copy can be obtained by calling the
affirmative action office at 416-736-5713. All qualified candidates are
encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents
will be given priority.

The deadline for receipt of application is March 29, 2006. All York
University positions are subject to budgetary approval. Qualified
applicants are invited to submit a letter identifying their research and
teaching interests and indicating how these might be compatible with the
Fine Arts Cultural Studies program, together with a curriculum vitae, a
one-page statement of teaching philosophy, and the names of three
referees, including addresses, phone numbers and email addresses, to:

Fine Arts Cultural Studies, Attention Christine Gooljar, 283 Winters
College, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M3J
1P3. E-mail cgooljar AT yorku.ca.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome ArtBase Exhibitions

http://rhizome.org/art/exhibition/

Visit "Net Art's Cyborg[feminist]s, Punks, and Manifestos", an exhibition
on the politics of internet appearances, guest-curated by Marina Grzinic
from the Rhizome ArtBase.

http://www.rhizome.org/art/exhibition/cyborg/

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

5.

From: Julian Bleecker <julian AT techkwondo.com>
Date: Mar 2, 2006
Subject: ACC Postdocs and Visiting Researcher Fellowship, April 30 2006
Deadline

Please post and distribute:

The Annenberg Center for Communication (ACC) (www.annenberg.edu) at the
University of Southern California invites applications for up to eight
postdoctoral positions and one visiting scholar position. These Visiting
Research fellows will take part in a major multi-disciplinary research
initiative to explore the "The Meaning of the New Networked Age:
Innovation, Content, Society, and Policy." We welcome researchers from
various disciplines including anthropology, architecture, the arts,
business, communications, computer science, design, economics,
engineering, history, international relations, law, library science,
neurosciences, political science, rhetoric, and sociology.

ACC is a research institute devoted to the study of new media from a
multi-disciplinary perspective. We are in a period of fundamental
transformation in the nature of the networks that connect people,
information, objects, and locations. But, what does it mean and what, if
anything, should be done to guide the process? The ACC research program
will explore the drivers of these changes, their meaning, and their
implications for business and government policy.

The 2006-2007 theme investigates the structure and evolution of today's
political, social, cultural, technological, and knowledge networks. Topics
of interest include, but are not limited to:

* How new technology is transforming politics and citizen engagement
worldwide,
* Communication law and policy
* New models of intellectual discourse and citation,
* Peer-to-peer cultural production and distribution,
* The emergence of pervasive mobile and wireless networks.

The ACC intends to convene a multi-disciplinary cohort of scholars to
focus on a topic of pressing concern not well addressed in more
established disciplinary and departmental institutions. The visiting
fellows will work with the ACC's senior fellows and also will be expected
to pursue their research in residence at the Annenberg Center during the
2006-2007 academic year. They will collectively be responsible for
organizing one conference and a monthly speakers series, and to attend two
weekly Fellows' seminars of graduate, postdoctoral, and faculty fellows on
the theme of the meaning of the new networked age. They may not hold any
other appointment during the period of the fellowship.

The postdoctoral fellowship is intended for scholars who have completed
their Ph.D since 2001, but we also will consider researchers with at least
four years of relevant, real- world experience. The ACC fellowship carries
a stipend of $45,000 in addition to a limited amount of funds to support
research and relocation expenses.

The visiting scholar position is intended for a mid-career scholar with a
well -established track record and demonstrated leadership and expertise
related to the theme. The stipend will be commensurate with the scholar's
current position. ACC will also provide a limited amount of funds to
support research and relocation expenses.

Applicants should clearly indicate whether they are applying for a
postdoctoral position or the visiting scholar position. Applications
should include a CV, a cover letter including a personal statement, and a
brief statement of research goals in relation to the theme. Three letters
of recommendation are to be sent directly by the writers (letters may also
be faxed to 213-747-4981). Address all application materials to Elizabeth
Harmon, Annenberg Center for Communication, University of Southern
California, 734 West Adams Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90089-7725. Email
contact: [eharmon at annenberg dot edu].
The deadline for receipt in our office is April 30, 2006.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Rhizome.org 2005-2006 Net Art Commissions

The Rhizome Commissioning Program makes financial support available to
artists for the creation of innovative new media art work via
panel-awarded commissions.

For the 2005-2006 Rhizome Commissions, eleven artists/groups were selected
to create original works of net art.

http://rhizome.org/commissions/

The Rhizome Commissions Program is made possible by support from the
Jerome Foundation in celebration of the Jerome Hill Centennial, the
Greenwall Foundation, the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and
the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs. Additional support has
been provided by members of the Rhizome community.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

6.

From: Greg Smith <smith AT serialconsign.com>
Date: Mar 1, 2006
Subject: announcing vague terrain 02:digital landscape

announcing vague terrain 02:digital landscape

Vagueterrain.net the Toronto-based digital arts quarterly, has just
released its second issue: vague terrain 02: digital landscape. This
issue is dedicated to and exploration of the landscape as read, written,
and reconfigured by contemporary tools and discourse.

This diverse body of work contains contributions across multiple mediums
by: akumu, andra mccartney, dominique pepin, frank lemire, gavin mcmurray,
greg smith, melanie kramer, michael sargent, nathan mcninch, neil wiernik,
nokami, patricia rodriguez, sans soleil, sarah mooney, tim hecker, and
tinkertoy.

For more information please visit http://www.vagueterrain.net

,g

--
greg smith
http://www.serialconsign.com

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

7.

From: Turbulence.org <turbulence AT turbulence.org>
Date: Mar 1, 2006
Subject: Turbulence Commission: "Peripheral n°2: KEYBOARD" by Marika
Dermineur

March 1, 2006
Turbulence Commission: "Peripheral n°2: KEYBOARD" by Marika Dermineur with
Maud Palmaerts
http://turbulence.org/Works/keyboard/
Requires Flash Player 7, Speakers, and Fast Connection. Presented in
English and French

"Peripheral n°2: KEYBOARD" reflects anew on the keyboard, this strange
object which we have beneath our eyes without really seeing it. It
explores writing and language and the articulation of the voice and hands;
and examines their importance for data processing and media classification
(images, texts, sounds). "KEYBOARD" is about automation, keyboards as
primitive interfaces, a tool that makes it possible for us to write,
capture, note, structure, communicate, index, research, etc.; and to
navigate into virtual spaces, in computer games for example, where the
four arrows are used to move and other keys are assigned to specific
actions. It is one of a series of works exploring material devices that
are connected to the computer of the Net-surfer.

"Peripheral n°2: KEYBOARD" is a 2005 commission of New Radio and
Performing Arts, Inc. (aka Ether-Ore) for its Turbulence web site. It was
made possible with funding from the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual
Arts.
"Peripheral n°2: KEYBOARD" was made during a residency at La Chambre
Blanche, Montreal, Canada.

BIOGRAPHY

Net artist, Marika Dermineur focuses on questions/issues/subjects related
to the network, the ability (for instance) of a program to produce
languages, images or sounds and to effect us. Graduated from la Sorbonne,
the Arts Décoratifs and the Arts et Métiers (Paris), she is a member of
the experimental web platform Incident.net; a teacher at the University of
Rennes 2. She has conducted workshops and lectures about newmedia. Her
installations and net art works, such as Keyboard, Googlehouse, The
Inhabitants (Impakt production), There! (V2 residence) have been presented
in numerous exhibitions and festivals: Videoformes 06, "Nuit Blanche" in
Roma and Paris 05, "Translation" (Basekamp Gallery, Philadelphia), File
festival 05 Sao Paulo, "Bis Repetita Placent" (Espace d'art Contemporain,
Ruart), "Download" and "Blackout" (exhibition, Paris); Vancouver's New
Forms Festival 2004, Ars Electronica, Instants Vidéo 04. She won first
prize fo net art in 2003 in Filmwinter (de), and has received funding from
Impakt Online (nl), Turbulence.org (us), La Chambre Blanche (ca), and
SCAM.

For more information about Turbulence, please visit http://turbulence.org

Jo-Anne Green, Co-Director
New Radio and Performing Arts, Inc.: http://new-radio.org
New York: 917.548.7780 ? Boston: 617.522.3856
Turbulence: http://turbulence.org
New American Radio: http://somewhere.org
Networked_Performance Blog: http://turbulence.org/blog
Upgrade! Boston: http://turbulence.org/upgrade

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

8.

From: Jonah Brucker-Cohen <jonah AT coin-operated.com>
Date: Mar 3, 2006
Subject: Report from ARS AT ARCO

+Commissioned by Rhizome.org+

Report from ARS AT ARCO
Madrid, Spain
Feb 8-9, 2006
by Jonah Brucker-Cohen (jonah_at_coin-operated.com)

During a temperate February in Madrid, the 25th annual ARCO Art fair
descended on the Spanish Capital with close to 180,000 visitors, including
museum and art centre directors, gallery owners, and representatives of
international institutions. The work of over 2,000 artists was included in
the event. From artwork in booths at the convention center to those
scattered in galleries around the city, as well as many speaking
engagements, the fair was a massive homage to the art industry as both a
global business venture and a cultural phenomenon. This year's
specially-invited country was Austria, which brought along a wide array of
digital art projects curated by the Ars Electronica center in Linz.
Accompanying this exhibition was a symposium on the theme of the "Future
of Media Arts" with artists from Austria and other invited international
visitors, curators, and theorists.

Located north west of downtown Madrid, the Conde Duque complex housed the
"Digital Transit" show featuring interactive projects in an exhibition
curated by the Ars Electronica Center. Included in the show were some
projects from the interactive art canon, such as Camille Utterback's "Text
Rain" and Christa Sommerer and Laurent Mignonneau's "Life Species II."
Other projects in the show included John Gerrard's "Watchful Portrait,"
two 3D portraits whose gazes follow the sun or moon through each day and
night, and in the bio-art domain was DNA-Consult's "GFPixel ? Portrait," a
painting of 4000 Petri-dishes filled with genetically transformed bacteria
that produce green light. Also in the show was Christian Moller's
"Cheese," a video installation of six young actresses attempting to hold a
"smile" for over an hour while video tracking measures the "sincerity" of
their smiles. An alarm sounded if their "happiness" fell below a certain
level. Most of the projects in the exhibition had strong visual
components, including Norbert Pfaffenbichler, Michael Aschauer and Lotte
Schreiber's "24!," a spatial audio-visual installation consisting of 24
pedestals in a grid formation with a projection of a black pixel on the
surface of each. The pixel's movement is based on a simple mathematical
structure giving it 24 possible movements to cover all corners of the
square, thus creating a cascade of sounds during these movements.
Examining public data sets was Ubermorgen.com's "Vote Auction," a website
that offered US citizens a chance to sell their presidential vote to
online bidders during the 2000 elections which resulted in several states
issuing temporary restraining orders for "illegal vote trading."

Across the plaza from the Digital Transit show was the "Condition
PostMedia" show curated by Elisabeth Fiedler y Christa Steinle. This
exhibition featured projects attempting to bridge boundaries between
preconceived notions of media art and more traditional art forms. A
highlight of this exhibition was the "Shockbot Corejulio," by Austrian
artists Emanuel Andel and Christian Guetzer, which consisted of a computer
that ran a program instructing it to "shock" itself by lowering a metal
instrument on top of its exposed video card. The result was garbled video
output that attested to the frailties of modern technology and its
obedience to succumb to its own demise. This project also recently won an
award at the Transmediale 2005 festival in Berlin.

North of the city, the Ars AT ARCO symposium got underway at the ARCO fair.
The intent of the panelists was to give their vision of where Media Art
will be in the next five to ten years. Gerfried Stocker, director of Ars
Electronica and organizer of the panels and exhibitions began the day by
stating that the term "media art" is problematic because it harbors too
many definitions such as "cyber art," "digital art," "virtual art,"
"software art," "net.art," or "interactive art." The main focus seemed to
be that digital art had moved away from the gallery as the only way of
seeing the work and was now more integrated in arenas such as the Internet
and other "happenings" in public spaces. Heidi Grundmann opened the panels
with a presentation of her work in "Radio art."

Focusing on media art in an international context, the second panel
featured artists, curators, and facilitators representing work from
Africa, Asia, South America, and India. Jose Carlos Mareitegui, from Peru,
spoke on how technology enables the "de-materialization" of information
that has created a new artistic space for artists who can update their
work on a continuous basis. Geetha Narayanan, director of the Srishti
School for Art and Technology in Bangalore, India spoke about how new
media art from post-materialistic societies will be different than those
from developing countries by shifting from "consumption" to "quality of
life" oriented approaches. Elaine Ng, director of Art Asia Pacific
Magazine, spoke on how Japan is not reflective of the greater art scene in
Asia and how Korea and Taiwan are beginning to follow the technological
lead of Japan. Focusing on the African continent, Marcus Neustatter,
curator and artist in the "Trinity Session" of Johannesburg, South Africa,
spoke about how future media artists are a mixture of everything from
entrepreneurs, to musicians, to filmmakers and how the distinction between
media artists and those trained technically is decreasing.

The third panel featured artists and art historians working in various
media arts fields. I spoke about my work in deconstructing network
relationships and how the future of media arts relates to open systems and
reconfigurable rule-sets that change dynamically based on user
interaction. Beijing-based game artist Feng Meng Bo spoke about his work
in alternative gaming interfaces and his project "Q3," in which he
digitally inserted himself carrying a camcorder into the Quake 3 gaming
environment. Also on the panel was Dr.Katja Kwastek, an assistant
professor of Art History at the University of Munich, who spoke about
media arts from an historical perspective. Derrick De Kerkove, director of
the Marshall McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology, at the University
of Toronto, wrapped up the session saying that "More and more the consumer
has the capacity to modify, shift, and obtain ownership of art," and that
the "Art" is the act of this manipulation itself, where rules are broken
by consumers. In the larger sense, most, if not all, interactive media art
has rules associated with it and the future will see the audience redefine
and break those rules through their interaction. The resulting system will
then be integrated back into the work.

As the ARS AT ARCO event wound down, it was obvious that the future of media
arts remains a difficult subject to clearly articulate. From commercial
and private research centers to art labs releasing projects for the public
domain, to the independent artist working in their studio, the creators of
this type of art propagate from so many different outlets and outlooks.
With trends in the blog-o-sphere pointing at DIY aesthetics and "amateurs"
creating inventive hacks to existing consumer electronics products, the
idea of what "art" consists of, in this field, constantly needs
redefinition. The artists involved in the symposium came to the conclusion
that media art is not only about using a medium to express oneself, it is
also about questioning the very circumstances, time, place, and most
importantly, method and culture in which they are working.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

9.

From: Brett Stalbaum <stalbaum AT ucsd.edu>, Geert Dekkers <geert AT nznl.com>,
Myron Turner <myron_turner AT shaw.ca>, curt cloninger <curt AT lab404.com>,
Myron Turner <myron_turner AT shaw.ca>, Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>, Eric
Dymond <dymond AT idirect.ca>, Dirk Vekemans <dv AT vilt.net>
Date: Feb 24 - 28, 2006
Subject: An Interpretive Framework for Contemporary Database Practice in
the Arts

+Brett Stalbaum posted:+

An Interpretive Framework for Contemporary Database Practice in the Arts

Introduction

There are two common notions regarding the nature (or ontology) of data
and information that are important for us to think about when we are
considering artistic practice with database. The first is the notion that
information is disembodied from its subject, and the second is somewhat of
a conflation of the terms "data" and "information". Political concern
stemming from the first notion may be most responsible for stimulating
"database art", but current art practice with database can be broadly
divided into three generally recognizable, though not mutually exclusive
modes of practice: database politics, data visualization (the latter
related also to sonification, and haptics), and what I will term database
formalism. The second notion represents more of a noise in our at-large
cultural understanding regarding the meaning of the terms "data" and
"information" that when clarified, may sharpen the critical focus on an
aspect of data visualization practice. Honing these two notions will
provide us with a critical basis for the interpretation contemporary
database art practices, perhaps especially as they interact with emerging
geospatial and location aware media practices. In this writing,
interpretation is distinguished from definition and evaluation, as it is
in the tradition of analytic aesthetics. I write from the perspective of a
practicing artist; not a trained philosopher or art historian. Thus I
demur, at least somewhat, on the issue of defining database practice
(beyond the obvious), and I avoid any qualitative evaluation of the
examples I give. I only hope to chart the terrain of a contemporary
practice with which I am familiar, including the work of many colleagues
and collaborators. I hope to form an interpretation of the approaches
contemporary artists are taking to database that I hope will be useful in
evaluating this territory.

Data Body and Data Politics

I will start by considering works that emphasize the contemporary
consequences of disembodiment of data/information from its referent,
regardless of whether we are speaking about the human body and its
disembodied 'data body', or other material manifestations of reality and
the data which refers to it. "Information" and "data", in this narrow
context, are viewed as descriptions of the thing described, and are
somewhat conflated terms. (See next section.) Christiane Paul patently
describes the issues that seem to have been in play for artists
surrounding the issue of disembodiment:

"In the digital age, the concept of 'disembodiment' does not only apply to
our physical body but also to notions of the object and materiality in
general. Information itself to a large extent seems to have lost its
'body', becoming an abstract 'quality' that can make a fluid transition
between different states of materiality. While the ultimate 'substance' of
information remains arguable, it is safe to say that data are not
necessarily attached to a specific form of manifestation. Information and
data sets are intrinsically virtual, that is, they exist as processes that
are not necessarily visible or graspable, such as the transferal or
transmission of data via networks."(174)

I will argue that the case is subtly yet importantly different, as this
type of disembodiment is not actually a new phenomenon to the digital age.
Information/data have always been disembodied, and in fact we do see that
the interaction between the virtual with the real is more tightly bound
today, and indeed is more materially generative (yet contra-abstract),
than at anytime in history. Disembodiment is not the difference making
difference that the digital age brings. In order to demonstrate this, I
will take a double tact. First I will look into history for precedents of
disembodied data and information, hoping to show that "disembodiment" is
not a new issue just because we have entered a digital era. Then I will
try to show that it is not the disembodiment of the referrer from the
referent that creates the radial difference that the digital era has
brought, but rather that it is the nature of distributed, high speed data
processing that makes all the difference because it radically motorizes,
automates and makes ubiquitous the potential for data and information to
impinge on daily life. After presenting this idea, I will make reference
to a few database artworks that I think map to the various assumptions
outlined by Paul, which I think expresses an interpretive critical model
in which artistic practice can be specified in terms of 'database
politics'.

It only requires a few examples from history to dispel the notion that
disembodiment is a novelty specific to the digital era. Edwin Hutchins, in
his study of how representations are propagated in systems of cultural
computation, points out that the use of bearing logs in sea navigation
dates back at least 4500 years, and that "Sumerian accountants developed
similar layouts for recording agricultural transactions as early as 2650
B.C." (124) Cuneiform Tablets, a clay tablet inscribed with ideograms and
numerals (multipliers), organized in the now familiar column and row
format, formed the material basis for the disembodiment of material
reality into a clay media for data storage of mundane business
transactions. And certainly, the notation on a tablet of "18 unproductive
trees" is no more the actual 18 unproductive trees than some contemporary
individual's poor credit history (a common example of a 'data body')
constitutes the breath of individual personhood. Yet, both such
representations are similarly disembodied data representations utilized
for economic control and management. In a loose sense cuneiform tablets
were the first spread sheets, and one could go further to argue that the
first written words and images instantiate a similar disembodiment of
referent and referrer, not to mention the disembodiment inherent in
language itself! This has been a constant issue in aesthetics from Plato
(mimesis) through semiotics (sign as combination of signifier/signified),
and in postmodern thought; perhaps most notoriously in the writings of
Jean Baudrillard where the sign becomes ascendant and begins itself to
relplace reality through precession.

Similarly, data has for a long time exhibited the quality of being fluidly
transferable between forms of materiality in different representational
media, and in fact transferal and transmission of data via pre-industrial
'networks' show that data transferal is in no way a novel phenomenon or a
creation specifically of the digital age. Hutchins gives the chip log and
the methods of using it as just one example of the propagation and
transmission of representational states. The chip log is device consisting
of a reel, a rope line, and the "chip": a piece of wood that would be
thrown overboard to remain stationary in the water while knotted line was
let out. The passage of time would be marked by crew members singing a
hymn (maintaining the system's clock speed), and notations regarding the
number of knots unrolled would be recorded in a log at a regular fix
interval. The knots would measure the distance that the ship had traveled,
from which the term "knots" as a measurement unit for maritime speed is
derived. Importantly, Hutchins shows how the chip log was utilized to
perform an analog to digital conversion:

"The log gave rise to a computational process that begins with
analog-to-digital conversion, which is followed by digital computation,
then either digital-to-analog conversion for interpretation or
digital-to-analog conversion followed by analog computation." (103)

Through these conversions, the propagation of representations between
various crew members aboard ship was enabled. Chip logs were utilized as
dead reckoning instrumentation allowing the projection of the ship's
future position on nautical charts; nautical charts which are themselves
analog computers designed expressly for position-fixing calculations. Logs
and analog-to-digital conversions allowed data to be transported, often in
digital form, through a ship wide network of crew members utilizing
different media to perform their tasks; for example from the memory of the
log keeper into the log, then from the log to navigator who would project
the future position of the ship onto a chart at some fixed interval, and
then from the media of the chart to the mind of the captain who is
responsible for the larger journey.

Data and information have qualities of their own, as calculable symbolic
representations capturing measurable aspects of material systems. Data and
information are not only disembodied in some material form of
representational abstraction from their subject (whether clay tablet or
digital electric impulses), but can be recorded and transferred from one
state to another, propagated from person-to-person in local, perhaps
totally linguistic, networks of social computation, or from place-to-place
via encoding into media mobilized by material transportation consisting of
technology such as sailing ships, or more recently, undersea fiber optic
cables. Importantly, this mobile property of data and information has been
at play in human culture long before the digital era - perhaps as long as
linguistic messages have been carried from place to place by foot and
shared among different groups, and certainly since written (doubly coded)
and numeric representations
began to be transported. Additionally, the example of cuneiform as a
particular clay media implementing informational disembodiment from the
material world emerged well before the development of the algebraic
analysis (as early as 1800 B.C.) and the discrete mathematics concepts
(congealing nicely in the figure of George Boole in the 19th century),
that would serve as the catalysts for the development of digital
communications and computational technologies during the 20th century. The
disembodiment of data and information from the real clearly predates the
digital era.

Disembodiment does not mean that data and information, and their material
reality, do not influence one another. In fact the case is rather the
opposite, forming is the basis of the fundamentally materialist-formalist
analysis I am trying to forge here. As I have indicated in the past:

"This position is supported by Paul Virilio?s theory of information as the
third dimension of matter, (energy being the second), in that information
and its effect on identity are not disembodied from the real, but rather
become a integral part of the real world projecting directly into the
body: a network of people hyperactivated by information machinery which
has joined with the body no more or less conspicuously than the pacemaker
or the telephone handset." (1998)

The significant difference making difference that does arrive with the
digital era is the speed with which the relations between information
technology and material systems are implemented: the move from the speed
of hand inscribed clay tables, to ships, to trains, to telegraph, to the
speed of light on fiber optic and radio networks. (This trajectory roughly
paraphrases Virilio's analytic project.) The process has been a
teleological one; the move from writing data on clay storage devices and
the associated literacy to retrieve and utilize those notations in a local
economy has progressed to 'writing' data in informatic media such CPU's,
RAM, magnetic storage, optical and wireless networks, and of course this
too assumes an associated literacy, in the contemporary case one required
to utilize digital media in a global economy. As the transmission speed of
the media becomes faster, the ability of data and information to impinge
upon or embed itself in material systems itself expands. While clay-based
inscription systems improved the management of a local orchards in
Sumeria, information systems today, which wrap the Earth in fiber optic
cable and paint it with electromagnetic carrier waves, facilitate the
transmission of data and information around the world in milliseconds,
allowing a global scope of impact for data and information. For example,
as Geri Wittig points out regarding the relationship between geographic
information systems and the Earth as a complex system:

"With the increasing use of GIS technologies in a wide variety of fields,
including art, the data networks generated will disseminate into the
expanding networks of information technology. I speculate these GIS
generated data networks have the potential to act as bifurcations and
coadaptive systems..." (2003)

This means that systems which operate, transport and calculate at the
speed of light have greater power become co-operative in the distribution
and creation of the real, causing the disembodiment of data itself to
bifurcate into something more powerful and integrated with life on Earth
due to the speed and intensity of data flows. This allows data and
information to play a more immediate, acute, synchronized role in the
daily life of persons, as well as non-human ecosystems and flows of
materials. It is not disembodiment per se, but rather machinic catalysis
of the relations between virtual and real that is the difference making
difference in the digital era. Further it is the discrete properties of
the digital that enable this speed, as well as enabling the exact
quantification of information, ala Claude Shannon. It is the catalytic
properties inherent in the material basis of digital technology that
allows the analysis of the difference (that information is) to have a
radical transformational impact on every aspect of culture, society,
biota, climate, and to some degree, even geology. The disembodiment of
information from its referent, which is an archaic and fundamentally
ontological aspect of data and information, is now hyper-activated in real
time at the speed of light. And indeed, it is the consequences of this
speed which many artists working around the issues of 'database politics'
have responded to.

A small but representative selection of artists who have notably responded
to the sudden imposition of database as a mediator of power and social
control include the Critical Art Ensemble, Natalie Jeremijenko, Graham
Harwood, and Diane Ludin. The Critical Art Ensemble were perhaps the first
artists to see the looming threat of database on matters of privacy and
power, and to present issues relating to database theoretically in terms
of an agent of social control. In their 1994 book The Electronic
Disturbance, CAE states:

"As the electronic information-cores overflow with files of electronic
people (those transformed into credit histories, consumer types, patterns
and tendencies, etc.), electronic research, electronic money, and other
forms of information power, the nomad is free to wander the electronic
net, able to cross national boundaries with minimal resistance from
national bureaucracies. The privileged realm of electronic space controls
the physical logistics of manufacture, since the release of raw materials
requires electronic consent and direction." (CAE, 1994)

While we do read here a direct reference to the concerns of disembodiment
in terms of "electronic people", we also see a clear focus on new forms of
pan-capitalist power and control over the economy through processes where
"electronic space controls the physical logistics of manufacture." This
inference on the part of CAE certainly maps to the notion of data and
information as disembodied control systems of management, but
disembodiment is placed in a context that makes the change less
attributable to the original sin of disembodiment than it is to the speed
and ease through which social power and control over the material world is
deployed via contemporary, digital, highly distributed database systems.
CAE's words may be the first shots fired in the art of database politics.

Natalie Jeremijenko's and Graham Harwood's recent work with database share
a consistent theme: an attempt to address the asymmetry of power between
those who model and manipulate the world through data, (thus enjoying most
of the rights to benefit from information garnered from that data), and
those who are modeled and manipulated by data. A representative example of
Jeremijenko's recent work is the Bit Antiterror Line project, which allows
"every phone [home/cell/booth] to act as a networked microphone... For
collecting live audio data on civil liberty infringements and other
anti-terror events." The files are made available in a simple database of
audio files on the bit antiterror line web site (Jeremijenko), one of
which recounts the story of a stewardess who threatened a couple with
arrest by armed Air Marshal if they continued to draw silly pictures and
laugh at her. Harwood's 9 project is a website modeled around the simple
square shaped layout of 9 media elements. It allows people to represent
themselves, their neighborhoods, their identity, and their interests, via
media elements arranged in this simple, easy to use layout strategy,
including a notion of proximity and thus juxtaposition with neighboring
9's. The ease of use at the interface level belies a sophisticated custom
database under the covers, coded by the artist. 9 encourages not only self
representation, but the exploration of the self representations of others
in a shared data commons creating connections between/within communities
defined both geographically and informatically, while Jeremijenko's
project creates a data commons as both an emergency antidote to, and
cultural and social analysis of, the growing fascism apparent in the
United States as the "War on Terrorism" progresses. As I write this
(original draft, April 2004), CAE's Steve Kurtz is being investigated by a
grand jury in Buffalo, NY, essentially for daring to make provocative art
works with biological materials. Although he (and CAE) have presented this
work publicly in high profile art institutions for many years, his
research and materials stored in his home became the subject of a wasteful
and misguided anti-terror investigation after being noticed and reported
by first-responders following the tragic death of Hope Kurtz from natural
causes.

The prevalence of database in biotechnology research has led to many
projects dealing with genomic data analysis or critique of the systems in
which nature becomes private property. Diane Ludin's "i-BPE, i-Biology
Patent Engine" takes on issues of intellectual property and ownership in
the high-tech era by setting up a context where real United States patents
on genes are themselves claimed as a kind of public property/context for
remixing and play with the language of patents, resulting in a "aggressive
take-over by i-BPE agents... i-BPE gene patents will return bio-rights to
non-governmental, cultural agents for revision." (Ludin) In a presently
unpublished manuscript, Ludin discusses, somewhat ironically, how speed
has (with its own certain irony), allowed the disembodiment of data from
its referent to return directly and literally to the site of our bodies,
for which the only prior art is billions of years of evolution. "With the
rise of ibiology the circuit between code and patent becomes part of the
super speed ecology of Bio Capitalism. Ibiology establishes the next level
of command and control culture where artificial selection becomes a
post-human, globalizing, gene profit system." (Ludin) In Ludin's, and
indeed all of the above examples, speed is the difference making
difference that the art of database politics ultimately must address
across a range of practice; regardless of whether the artist is using
database as media to help along the emergence of shared understanding
within a culturally mixed global culture, or responding defensively (with
database) to the onslaught of database driven assaults on civil rights
committed by corporatist or fascist governments.

Data Visualization, Beautiful Information and Sublime Data

A formal aspect of data and information that is often overlooked in
western culture at large is that the terms "data" and "information" have
meanings that are quite different from one another. Although Dictionaries
such as Webster's accurately define the terms; information as "an
informing or being informed; esp., a telling or being told of something",
and data as in "facts or figures to be processed; evidence, records,
statistics, etc. from which conclusions can be inferred; information",
(Webster's, italics mine), popular uses of the terms often overlap
somewhat more than their dictionary definitions allow. Note that
"information" is above embedded in the definition of data, across the
semi-colon boundary behind which "conclusions can be inferred", but
without a cadence or emphasis that would mark information's definitional
difference with the same clarity as it is most commonly defined in
computer science. Information as described above could easily be misread
as synonymous with "facts or figures to be processed", even given position
of the semi-colon. As I will discuss in the next paragraph, there is in
fact an issue of transitory states. Nevertheless, information is most
usefully defined as the conclusions or news of significant difference that
is inferred from the logical processing of a collection data. Data is
defined essentially as being raw facts; whereas information is mined from
processing those facts.

Of course, the situation it is not that simple. At any one time the same
representations (I do not take "representation" to mean exclusively
"visual"), might exist in different terminal states (as either data or
information) on a larger conveyor belt of ubiquitous digital processing. A
simple example: it is common for the output of one program (nominally
"information") to be the input data for another, as in the unix command,
ps -ef | grep brett, which pipes the somewhat lengthy output of the ps
program (information about all processes) to the grep filter such that I
might know only of my processes; information can become data to be
filtered into more specific information. Another potential breakdown in
the distinction occurs due to the graphical user interface, which does a
better job of 'making invisible' the user's control data (another kind of
input), for example in the form of pointing as interactive input (mouse
clicks, mouse drags, etc.) These are definitely forms of control data
input, but they are processed more invisibly than control commands given
on a command line interface, because the visual half life of clicks and
drags as pixel residue on the screen is not buffered as are commands that
remain visible in the terminal shell (visible on screen) after being
issued in a CLI. Nevertheless, ignoring interactive input and its own
important implications, it is still true that data plays its most common
social 'role' in the form of input to programs, and it is information that
is derived from processing data as output; even if the
information is later transitioned by being reprocessed as input back into
some other program (potentially somewhere else in the world). The ontology
of data and information as input and output is contextually mediated and
transitory; existing alternatively between states of data and information.
Yet data is still associated in an important way with input and
information with output, even if the terms data and information are
treated more loosely in culture at large, perhaps due to being seen
adjacent to each other so often, a result of their status as quite
inseparable siblings or perhaps a digital yin/yang.

A good question for the impatient reader at this point would be "What does
this have to do with contemporary database practice in art?" After all,
there is no shortage of clarification regarding the distinction between
"data" and "information" in engineering and the sciences. The answer is
that the conflation of terms seems to pool especially commonly in the
humanities discipline areas, such as art. To be fair, it is a common
linguistic conflation in culture at large and this is indeed where artists
operate, but I do think it merits our attention in any analysis of the
works of artists who are working with database, and particularly for
artists that are working specifically with data visualization, or the
related disciplines of data sonification and data haptics (as in ambient
computing).

Lev Manovich has made a very important observation about the aesthetic
strategies of Data Visualization practice in an essay titled The
Anti-Sublime Ideal in Data Art, (2002), in which he critiques contemporary
data visualization practice in art as adhering to a pursuit of beauty in
the transformation (or processing) of large datasets into the visual
field: the "Anti-Sublime" aesthetic. Beauty is the pursuit of clarity,
balance and transparent form, and data visualization is often
pursued for the sake of understanding or making clear the behavior of data
and the systems represented by data. Beauty in data visualization is
opposed to the sublime: the condition under which the data overwhelms its
viewer, and the viewer's senses are mobilized in a special kind cognition
that allows them to carry on with the formation of an understanding that
is, as it turns out, more likely to be satisfactory than a random guess.
There are many names for this kind of cognition:
intuition, anticipation, instinct, or a sixth sense. The sublime is of
considerable interest to the artificial intelligence discipline in
computer science. Human intelligence seems able to deal with the sublime
condition and can continue to operate intelligently even when overwhelmed
or subjected to context shifts, while discrete computational
machines have not yet proven this ability. In a sense, the holy grail of
artificial intelligence is to create machines that can behave with human
like intelligence when similarly thrown by excessive amounts of data under
variable context.

Interestingly, the definitions of the terms "beauty" and "sublime" have
also been culturally conflated, perhaps even more so, than the terms
"information" and "data". Just as information and data are sometimes
interchangeable terms in common usage, (often taken to mean information),
the meanings of beauty and sublime are today similarly conflated, (often
to mean beauty). The notion of beauty, revealing form and making
cognizable, as the goal of data visualization art works dealing with large
data sets is clearly described by Christiane Paul, writing of Benjamin
Fry's 1999 work "Valence":

"The software visually represents individual pieces of information
according to their interactions with each other. Valence can be used for
visualizing almost anything, from the contents of a book to website
traffic, or for comparing different data sources. The resulting
visualization changes over time as it responds to new data. Instead of
providing statistical information ... Valence provides a feel for general
trends and anomalies in the data by presenting a qualitative slice of the
information's structure. Valence functions as an aesthetic 'context
provider', setting up relationships between data elements that might not
be immediately obvious, and that exist beneath the surface of what we
usually perceive." (177, 178)

I do not choose to wade into any aesthetic debate regarding the beautiful
and the sublime in data visualization; I am sticking to my promise to hold
fast to an interpretive framework in this writing. Lisa Jevbratt has
written an essay titled The Prospect of the Sublime in Data
Visualizations, responding in part to Manovich's use of the 1:1 project
(1999, 2002) as an example of the anti-sublime aesthetic. (Jevbratt) For
now, I merely want to point out that in terms of how we interpret the art
practices engaged in data visualization, beauty as opposed to the sublime
is the most critical contemporary interpretive framework in which such art
may be evaluated aesthetically. The criterion for analysis shifts from the
effectiveness of any particular visualization (and its ability to
facilitate an understanding of the data through
beauty), to the roll of the user or communities of users in interpreting a
visualization via their own ontological thrownness, their own conceptual,
computational or cultural methods for processing data, and their own
ability to perceive when facing conditions of sublimity. At its extremes,
the sublime analysis suggests that access to raw, unmediated data replace
visualizations, and that communities should take democratic control of
their own data interpretation in a way that best balances their exposure
to quantities of data against their need to reduce it to useful
information; all of which might only become practical if formal languages
for processing data become standard educational assumptions for a baseline
notion of what it means to be literate in post-industrial, high tech
societies. Microsoft Excel(TM) can not save us. Artists might be able to
play an important role in this regard: as guides in data exploration more
so than as experts in data visualization.

Additionally, the formal definitions of data and information imply another
framework tightly coupled to the issues raised by the beautiful and the
sublime. Data visualization practice is certainly bound to the transition
of representations between states of being data and states of being
information; and as Manovich points out, most contemporary artists working
in data visualization are seemingly committed to visualization as
information. This is essentially congruent with Paul's discussion of Fry's
work Valence as well as her overall discussion of database practice;
further implying that much data visualization practice in the arts today
seemingly pursues beauty. Interpretively, we may extract from all of this
that the pursuit of information is the pursuit of the beautiful and that
the pursuit of data is the pursuit of the sublime. The former implies a
struggle for understanding, the later an impulse for exploration,
including the collection and generation of new data. How artists implement
their forms of expression between information and data, and possibly in
the transitory states between them, is an aesthetic issue that maps to the
transitory states between the sublime and the beautiful. Speaking
personally, this seems to be an unresolved area in data visualization as
artistic practice, as well as in the related formal practice that I
discuss in the next section.

Virtual and Materialist Data Formalism, Data Mining

In this section, my interpretive framework comes full circle back near the
issue of disembodiment. In the first section of this essay, I believe that
I was able to demonstrate that data and information have always been
disembodied from their referent, and I did so by arguing from a
materialist stance that views data as an important virtual reality that
actually impinges on material reality. In a previous text titled Database
Logic(s) and Landscape Art (original, 2002), I presented
a more radical, though consciously very speculative and provisional view
that data is embedded and operative within the actual through a process in
which humans/data/Earth are inextricably implicated: humans mediate the
landscape with the assistance of data about the landscape, and the data
itself mediates that mediation, not necessarily intentionally, but in such
a way that the actual material Earth now speaks through scientific data,
thereby expressing a voice in conversation with human culture. In the same
essay, I indicate how the term 'virtual' is also often misunderstood as
referring to the imaginary interfacial illusions that computational
systems can create, rather than (more appropriately) the abstract
mathematics of reality (that can be modeled computationally, well beyond 3
dimensions), that in some sense produces the actual. In other words, the
virtual is itself a real space of possible physical states for any system
that crystallize into the actual, which is precisely what allows
computational models of physical systems (such as engineering or
atmospheric simulations) to have predictive power. I made this case in
order to suggest that artists should utilize the notion of the virtual for
predictive or analytical practices that reveal knowledge about the world,
or better, that emerge
new behavior, exploration and experience. I think this holds for the
humanities. I am in no way concerned if what is revealed functions as
conceptual and performance art, and not as science.

There are many database art projects that demonstrate this analytical and
productive practice which engage with data utilizing an ethos that
maintains an interest in the embodiment (contra disembodiment) that is
implied in the relationship between data and its material, actual, real
world referents. Although I have avoided definition, I would argue that
the preceding does constitute something close to a definition of database
art in the bigger picture, the relationship to materialist embodiment
being the key. In any case, it clearly fits into my interpretive framework
for contemporary database practice as database formalism. These projects
are interested in the actual materials that are modeled by data, and seek
new, exploratory methods of interacting with the material world that
reveal new knowledge about the materials, or the interactions with them,
and that allow data to become a cooperative co-participant in the
performance. For example, Lev Manovich's Soft Cinema (2001-) uses metadata
to dynamically organize a Mondrian inspired screen layout for videos shot
by the artist in his travels, in which "every clip is assigned 10
different parameters, which are both semantic and formal, so for example
one is geographical location... how much motion there is in a clip, which
is assigned a number... the contrast, the average brightness, the subject
matter...", and so forth. (Manovich, 2003) The parameters are utilized by
custom software to control the editing of the video clips and their
organization in the layout, allowing data about the (video) data (the
metadata) to manifest itself through being granted some level of decision
making authority and authorship. Manovich's cinema edits itself; revealing
itself in unexpected and often poetic ways that require one to apply a
thrown and sublime mode of paradigmatic viewership to its interpretation.

David Rokeby's Giver of Names (1990-) and George Legrady's Pockets Full of
Memories (2001) both ask users to interact with real objects in the
gallery space, which are scanned and input into a database system for
further classification and comparison. While Rokeby's approach utilizes an
AI computer vision technique and artificial language processing, and
Legrady's uses a clustering algorithm designed to situate the personal
objects offered up by the audience with their statistically nearest
neighbors, both projects are literally concerned with the relation between
real objects and how they are thus mediated (either by naming them or
associating them with another) as they undergo analog-to-digital (material
to reference) conversion, insertion into a database, and subsequent data
analysis. Importantly, an emphasis on the materiality of the objects is
maintained in the exhibition space. The materiality is directly
experienced by the audiences who interact with Rokeby's collection of
objects lying around the exhibition space that they may situate on a
pedestal for scanning and interpretation by an artificial intelligence
system. In Legrady's case, a personal object if offered up for analysis.
Both systems connect rather literally with the real as an embodied space
to be contextualized.

The near unification of referrer and referent is even more literal in
recent C5 work, (a group of which I am a member), where geographic
information system data (a digital 3D map of the landscape) is mined
through the preprocessing of the primary data into a layer of metadata
characterizing large areas of topography (currently the State of
California), that can be searched via a relational database and related
Java API. (The C5 Landscape Database API.) Mirroring the
Input/Processing/Output pattern common in classic, non-interactive data
processing, C5 takes input samples (collected with GPS), and processes
them to identify the most similar landscapes to the original, but that
exist somewhere else. As preparatory work for The Other Path (2004-) Geri
Wittig set out on a month long trek along the Great Wall of China,
starting in the northwest desert and following the Wall eastward to where
it runs to the edge of the Yellow Sea. GPS data was collected from twelve
separate trekked locations along the length of the Great Wall. Using
pattern-matching search procedures developed at C5 (Amul Goswamy and Brett
Stalbaum), the 12 most similar corresponding terrains in California were
identified. After determining the blocks representing the most similar
matching terrains in California, phase two of the Other Path search
process identified discrete paths within those terrains expressing similar
statistical characteristics, such as simple distance, cumulative distance,
and elevation change. To do this, a swarm of virtual hikers, implemented
as experimental features of the C5 Landscape Database API 2.0, were
unleashed in the virtual California landscape to explore and generate
tracklogs, which were then compared to Wittig's original "input" Great
Wall of China tracklogs. The results of this search identified the most
closely matching virtual tracklogs, which were then exported to tracklog
files, uploaded to GPS devices, and physically realized by C5 in a
performance of tertiary (after the original, after database) exploration
of what is now known as The Great Wall of California. In this performance,
walking works in the tradition of Richard Long, Hamish Fulton and perhaps
even Dominique Mazeaud are reconceived as input, processed by via database
applications that have been granted the ability to tell us where to go by
outputting GPS coordinates that we are conceptually bound to follow with
our feet. This generates alternative experience and exploration of the
landscape at a time when everything (on the landform surface of the Earth)
has already been explored and modeled. It emphasizes not the disembodiment
of datascapes from their referents, but their intimate connection and
productive capability.

Conclusion

I have outlined three modes of practice, database politics, data
visualization, and database formalism (the latter contra disembodiment) in
which contemporary database practice can be interpreted. The later
formalist tendency, in which database is conceived as virtual context for
implementing a data co-operative mediation of the world, perhaps most
interestingly overlaps in the final analysis with the database politics.
Though largely apolitical at first glance, the formalist interpretative
mode of database art practice is similar to that of database politics in
that the goal of both is to realign the power of database to distribute
the real, albeit for different reasons, as opposed to data visualization's
dominant (but perhaps not universal) desire to better understand data.
Though formalist practice may not self-consciously attempt to intercede in
pan-capitalist distribution of power, data formalism and artistic data
mining practices do conceive of agency returning back to the hands (or for
C5 the feet) of the people who interact with such systems, although
perhaps in a perverse way by tactically ceding a certain level of
arbitrary control to the database applications themselves. But as long
these are at least neutral with regards to power, and hopefully designed
and performed by autonomous users of the systems in non-coercive ways,
there are advantages to be found - perhaps even political ones.

For one, formalist database practice is in alignment conceptually with the
ubiquity of database in our culture, perhaps encouraging individuals to
develop related expertise for apolitical ends (recreation, hobbies) that
produce ecologies of knowledge that become useful when political
conditions become too onerous for the majority of people. Formalist
practice could be aware that discovering the possibilities and building
novel alternatives (especially when done so by communities instead of for
them), might be just as effective as directly resisting the distributed,
nomadic power of systems of mass subjugation. Also, database formalism
allows aesthetic analysis to move toward and explore truly interesting,
purely formal issues of database itself as a medium. For example, the
relational database model trades maximum processing efficiency for the
ability to maintain ad hoc queries, which may be consequential in terms of
how the material world is ultimately mediated in particular instances. All
three of these conceptual modes of artistic practice with database are
important of course, and they certainly overlap in practice. None is
mutually exclusive.

Interpretively, there is perhaps a fourth mode of practice that it may be
argued that I have ignored. The only other mode of database practice that
is perhaps not necessarily some derivation founded in database politics,
data visualization, or a database formalist practice is seemingly a
multimedia practice that assembles and processes a 'database' of
multimedia materials, mixing or remixing them into some other media forms
such as web video, animation, real time video processing, music, etc. The
multimedia assumption insists that the core of digital media art practice
is manifest as pixels on a screen, or some other output such as speakers,
or as interaction at an interface that produces some kind of visceral or
otherwise magically mediated experience. The mediation is viewed as
ultimately flowing from the identity of "the artist" of course, who is
assumed to produce some kind of political awareness or aesthetic/cultural
experience in the minds of the audience. Often, this kind of very
traditional orientation toward art practice does not consider the elements
in the database as data with their own ontology, and suppresses data's
identity into being mere media elements or samples to be processed,
remixed, and assembled by the artist in an expressive configuration of
individual artistic style and message. Media tools such as digital video
editing and multimedia authoring platforms are commonly employed, and
often these are used pretty much the way that their designers (large
corporations) intended them to be used. There is no reason to think that
such software applications can not be used in other ways (in fact, there
are many delightful examples on runme.org), but in practice such
conceptual repurposings are all too rare. When they do happen, they seem
to transcend multimedia and map to conceptual art practices (often termed
"software art"), and I suspect that my categorical distinctions regarding
database practices would support these. But I am veering dangerously
toward making an evaluation of multimedia practices here. That is not my
goal, so this is a good place to conclude.